E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Power and ECONOMY!

03-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F21 118d M Sport

my mpg seems to be stuck on 36.6..

it's strange, it was stuck on that before.. then i reset it, and now it's stuck agian.

weird!

also i don't think my ED works correctly.. but that's another issue for investigation this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
my mpg seems to be stuck on 36.6..

it's strange, it was stuck on that before.. then i reset it, and now it's stuck agian.

also i don't think my ED works correctly.. but that's another issue for investigation this weekend!
Are you sure it is stuck, and not settled at your nearest long term mpg? I assume you mean when you just leave it over 1,000's of miles.

If you take into account it is a conversion from litres/100Kms to mpg in 0.1-litre increments, it makes for the coarse mpg figures, 36.2, 36.6, 37.1, etc. Therefore over long distances between resets, the figure just doesn't jump an increment on a few miles of different economy. Mine will typically settle at 37.1 or 37.6 if I leave it long term.

What do you mean by your ED doesn't work correctly?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #25
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you sure it is stuck, and not settled at your nearest long term mpg? I assume you mean when you just leave it over 1,000's of miles.

If you take into account it is a conversion from litres/100Kms to mpg in 0.1-litre increments, it makes for the coarse mpg figures, 36.2, 36.6, 37.1, etc. Therefore over long distances between resets, the figure just doesn't jump an increment on a few miles of different economy. Mine will typically settle at 37.1 or 37.6 if I leave it long term.

What do you mean by your ED doesn't work correctly?

HighlandPete
sounds plausible re the figures

in a traffic jam last week.. stuck it in neutral, engine didn't turn off.. but i noticed a 1-series and 3-series LCI restart their engines when we moved off cos i had the window down..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #26
TMP
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
As long as you can keep in 6th gear the economy of these engines is brilliant. So around 50mph you do get the best returns. Up here we get a lot of slow summer traffic, that can cost in mpg as you go too slow, to get into the sweet zone. Steptronic can help, as the gear change points are just that bit different. Interestingly I find the cruising mpg doesn't drop much unless you go over 70mph.

My 'go with the flow' was like this.

After 25 miles the OBC was reading 49.5mpg and 41.1mph. At 45 miles I was still reading 49.5mpg, (had dropped to 48.7 a couple of times) average speed had increased to 43.0mph. This included sections at about 58 - 60mph. Then I blew it, as there was a clear straight, I couldn't resist clearing the cars in front and get a clear road. Arrived after 55 miles with 48.7mpg and 44.2mph.

Just me aboard, 1/4 tank of BP Ultimate, no A/C (snowflake function), lights and wipers for about 1/2 the journey. No overtaking, (accept my 'one' lack of restraint). Using Steptronic on occasion, to keep the car in 6th above 42 - 45mph.

On the higher speed cruise....

I tried a light drive home from Wiltshire. Filled at Wootton Bassett with Shell Diesel and as conditions were still, about 10-degrees C, ideal to get a good daytime baseline result, 2 of us and a full boot. Was recording 45.5mpg when I joined the M5, set the CC at legal limit (76mph on the clock) and tried to keep to a smooth drive, no hard acceleration. As we joined the M6, 47mpg clicked over. I kept to the same regime wherever possible and I held 47mpg average for over 200 miles until north of Lancaster. Stopped at Tebay with 46.3mpg on the OBC.

We hit high winds in the borders and that bit into the mpg. Could see the swingometer dropping to 30/35 even on the flat whereas it had been 50 ish in the still conditions.

At Cumbernauld when I topped up to find the real consumption, was reading 44.8mpg for 374 miles. Brimmed figure was 44.94. So the 47mpg was pretty much spot on for a easy 70mph cruise. Not bad I say for a 330d auto touring.

(Can also see the accuracy of my OBC, on the 'brimmed' 374 miles).

HighlandPete
Great and detailed stats - hope you didnt make notes on the mway

So yesterday I decided to keep an eye on economy and see how it changed with pressing on, or taking it a bit easier...- 200 miles with a couple of stops, M6, M40

On way down, pushing on quite hard and cruise set to 83, 5x of 50mph roadworks and quite a bit of traffic / queing - 43.4mpg

Drive back was slower cos I was knacked and wanted to see what I could eeek, Traffic light-ish - cruise set to 73 and got 49.5 mpg.

What a difference 10mph makes.....

Mines is an Ed Auto .....
      03-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #27
TMP
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
sounds plausible re the figures

in a traffic jam last week.. stuck it in neutral, engine didn't turn off.. but i noticed a 1-series and 3-series LCI restart their engines when we moved off cos i had the window down..
the 325d doesnt have stop start....only 4cyl engines do
      03-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #28
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
the 325d doesnt have stop start....only 4cyl engines do
ahhh.. thought all the e92s did.

no matter