E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > UUC Short Shift Kit (SSK) & Double-Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) **FULL REVIEW/DIY**



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #67
I335
Brigadier General
 
I335's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I tried contacting them about the backorder twice no response...hope its not more than a week...
I called them on the phone today. They answered right away and that's what they told me. Fingers crossed...
I335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #68
dzenno
Banned
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

Posts: 5,884
iTrader: (1)

Yeah, talked to Rob today and he said it'll be only a few days..
dzenno is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #69
DJKhan85
Major
 
DJKhan85's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston Massachusetts

Posts: 1,188
iTrader: (1)

I'm on a razors edge on getting this. I think I can install the arm into the carrier while it's still attached the car. Does anyone think there is enough clearance to get the allen screws into the new shifter cup with the carrier still attached to the car? If thats remotely possible(from either the underside or in cabin) I will buy this kit asap.

I would get the dssr as well but I would have to wait on the install as that does not seem possible with my big hands and that tight space.
__________________
2011 VW GTI 4dr-6mt-Sunroof-Nav-Xenons
OLD:
08 335i AW/CR/Poplar 6mt-ZSP-ZPP-ZCW-iPod-iDrive-PDC-Style 230s w/FK 452-Dinan LSD
DJKhan85 is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #70
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
I'm on a razors edge on getting this. I think I can install the arm into the carrier while it's still attached the car. Does anyone think there is enough clearance to get the allen screws into the new shifter cup with the carrier still attached to the car? If thats remotely possible(from either the underside or in cabin) I will buy this kit asap.

I would get the dssr as well but I would have to wait on the install as that does not seem possible with my big hands and that tight space.
You can get the allen screws in if you grind down the hex wrench.

http://www.billswebspace.com/335UUCEvo3DIY.htm
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #71
Synergy 69
www.facebook.com/Synergy69
 
Synergy 69's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 335I MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 492
iTrader: (1)

how difficult would you rate this install?
Synergy 69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #72
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ducati955's Avatar
 
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: long island ny

Posts: 1,718
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
i really need to buy this entire setup ... i hate the shifter
__________________
car totaled out !!AW335i, oem aero lip, m3 csl rims, oem m3 sides, vorst csl carbon trunk, tinted, lowered on H&R sport, AR DP's, Bastauck dual exhaust, BMS intake, etc

NEW RIDE white GTR!
ducati955 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #73
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy 69 View Post
how difficult would you rate this install?
With the tranny down? 2-3 out of 10. It is simple when the tranny is down.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #74
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati955 View Post
i really need to buy this entire setup ... i hate the shifter
The difference was night and day in my opinion.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #75
dzenno
Banned
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

Posts: 5,884
iTrader: (1)

Cancelled my order yesterday...this would've been on backordered another 2 weeks (already waited 3)...another time..
dzenno is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #76
I335
Brigadier General
 
I335's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Cancelled my order yesterday...this would've been on backordered another 2 weeks (already waited 3)...another time..
I've been waiting for my DSSR for 3 weeks too, but I'm being patient because I know it'll be worth the wait. I already have the shifter. Did they just tell you recently that it'll be another 2 weeks?
I335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #77
dzenno
Banned
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

Posts: 5,884
iTrader: (1)

Friday
dzenno is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #78
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Friday
Take this for what it is worth, but the swap is so easy when the tranny is down that it makes sense. It is literally 30 minutes.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #79
I335
Brigadier General
 
I335's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Take this for what it is worth, but the swap is so easy when the tranny is down that it makes sense. It is literally 30 minutes.
I'm sure it is, but you're not suggesting I drop the tranny to install this, are you? How hard is it to drop the tranny?
I335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #80
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I'm sure it is, but you're not suggesting I drop the tranny to install this, are you? How hard is it to drop the tranny?
I think they suggest you lower the rear support of the tranny, but someone on here I think did everything from above. Regardless, if you are doing a clutch and have the tranny down then this is a very easy job.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2010, 05:27 AM   #81
I335
Brigadier General
 
I335's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I think they suggest you lower the rear support of the tranny, but someone on here I think did everything from above. Regardless, if you are doing a clutch and have the tranny down then this is a very easy job.
That shouldn't be too hard. I do have a lift and a tranny jack so I'll have to take a look at that option. Thanks for the tip!
I335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #82
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
That shouldn't be too hard. I do have a lift and a tranny jack so I'll have to take a look at that option. Thanks for the tip!
Oh, then I can tell you exactly the easiest way to do it. If you don't mind quickly pulling the exhaust then remove the insolation covering the driveshaft. If you remove the u-joint and suspend the driveshaft, then you can remove the rear support brace for the tranny. Don't forget to support the tranny with the jack, but this should make the job very easy. All you do is tilt the rear of the tranny toward the ground and it gives easy access.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #83
I335
Brigadier General
 
I335's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Oh, then I can tell you exactly the easiest way to do it. If you don't mind quickly pulling the exhaust then remove the insolation covering the driveshaft. If you remove the u-joint and suspend the driveshaft, then you can remove the rear support brace for the tranny. Don't forget to support the tranny with the jack, but this should make the job very easy. All you do is tilt the rear of the tranny toward the ground and it gives easy access.
Sounds good - thanks. Now if I can just get the DSSR I'll be all set!
I335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2010, 05:08 AM   #84
SKuo07
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California

Posts: 193
iTrader: (3)

Can anyone elaborate on the "notchy" feeling? I dont really understand what people mean when they say the UUC SSK makes the shifts feel a little more notchy.
SKuo07 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #85
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Marcus-SanDiego's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 1,589
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKuo07 View Post
Can anyone elaborate on the "notchy" feeling? I dont really understand what people mean when they say the UUC SSK makes the shifts feel a little more notchy.
This SSK was one of the first mods I did.

You should think of the notchy feeling as a click. From gear to gear, you feel (and slightly hear) a click when you shift from gear to gear. It's something I don't mind at all.
__________________
Marcus-SanDiego is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #86
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Just so everyone knows, my DSSR actually increased the in-gear slop compared to the factory selector rod.

I contacted Rob@UUC and he is sending me some shims for the shifter's pivot bearings. I could only use one yellow washer as opposed to two at the transmission end or else the circlip wouldn't go on. He told me that this is OK, as long as it is a snug fit and it is indeed. All of the slop is at the shifter end (I have the Evo3). Hopefully the shims will make a difference. I will post an update here when I get them and find the time to install them. I did the install on ramps so it's a pain in the back (literally) - I have to find the motivation to do it once the shims arrive.
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #87
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ducati955's Avatar
 
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: long island ny

Posts: 1,718
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Just so everyone knows, my DSSR actually increased the in-gear slop compared to the factory selector rod.

I contacted Rob@UUC and he is sending me some shims for the shifter's pivot bearings. I could only use one yellow washer as opposed to two at the transmission end or else the circlip wouldn't go on. He told me that this is OK, as long as it is a snug fit and it is indeed. All of the slop is at the shifter end (I have the Evo3). Hopefully the shims will make a difference. I will post an update here when I get them and find the time to install them. I did the install on ramps so it's a pain in the back (literally) - I have to find the motivation to do it once the shims arrive.
hmm, maybe a ssk is better, idk....
__________________
car totaled out !!AW335i, oem aero lip, m3 csl rims, oem m3 sides, vorst csl carbon trunk, tinted, lowered on H&R sport, AR DP's, Bastauck dual exhaust, BMS intake, etc

NEW RIDE white GTR!
ducati955 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #88
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati955 View Post
hmm, maybe a ssk is better, idk....
I have the UUC EVO3 SSK. I used it with the factory single-shear selector rod for a few months with no issues. When I replaced the SSSR with the UUC DSSR, it actually increased the in-gear slop. I should be getting the shims sometime soon - Rob shipped them out yesterday and my house is less than 20 miles from UUC.
NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST