E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ATT: AFE intake problems....LOOK HERE!

11-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
infrno4
Private

Drives: e90

Send a message via AIM to infrno4 Send a message via Yahoo to infrno4
ATT: AFE intake problems....LOOK HERE!

ok guys, I was havin the same problem as everyone else, well most at least with the AFE stuttering and not performing. I did everything, reset battery numerous times, unplugged sensor and more. Today I went to go install my stock and when I was loosing the clamp on the actual filter (AFE), I noticed it was really loose. I tightened it back up and it turned a lot more than it took to loosen it. So I made it nice and snug, as tight as I could, tightened the other 2 clamps near throttle body, they too were loose. I know when I installed it they were tight. What happens is the heat from the engine causes the rubber to expand then contract smaller than original size, you do this a bunch of times and your clamp gets quite loose and you have an air leak. I was having this problem from the very start after install, so I think it just didnt mold right causing a slight air leak to begin with. It works great now, no stuttering, very smooth, and much more low end torque then before. Check it out if havin this problem.
infrno4 is offline   United_States
      11-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
2-4-6-8 My car and house depreciate

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by infrno4
ok guys, I was havin the same problem as everyone else, well most at least with the AFE stuttering and not performing. I did everything, reset battery numerous times, unplugged sensor and more. Today I went to go install my stock and when I was loosing the clamp on the actual filter (AFE), I noticed it was really loose. I tightened it back up and it turned a lot more than it took to loosen it. So I made it nice and snug, as tight as I could, tightened the other 2 clamps near throttle body, they too were loose. I know when I installed it they were tight. What happens is the heat from the engine causes the rubber to expand then contract smaller than original size, you do this a bunch of times and your clamp gets quite loose and you have an air leak. I was having this problem from the very start after install, so I think it just didnt mold right causing a slight air leak to begin with. It works great now, no stuttering, very smooth, and much more low end torque then before. Check it out if havin this problem.
I hope you weren't breathing in crap into your intake/cylinder chambers
That'll cost you in the longrun
BzsBimmer is offline   United_States