E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Clutch/ Flywheel Exploded in bell housing- Photos Added

08-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Freak Beast

Clutch/ Flywheel Exploded in bell housing- Photos Added

My 2006 330i 6MT is in the shop after I was starting at a stop sign to pull in my driveway. Around 4k RPM in 2nd gear I heard a transformer orgy under my hood. It was horrible. Car was towed to Bimmerworks in West Chester, and I am awaiting the exact diagnosis. So far we are pretty certain the flywheel and clutch disintegrated in the bell housing. I will post updates and photos as I get them from the shop.

Car did have a judder in the clutch on cold mornings starting up from a stop, and occasionally felt like it was slipping, although the normal tests ( 4th gear pedal to floor etc) never showed a slipping clutch.

Just thought some of you with 6MT might be interested if experiencing similar issues.

Car is a 2006 330i E90 obviously
CKS coils
Style 95 wheels
Muffler Delete
BMW performance SSK
Injen Intake

These mods are for sale as I now just want to return it to stock and pay for this clutch. Will be posting in FS threads when I have access to the car.

Name:  image (1).jpeg
Views: 471
Size:  283.7 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 446
Size:  294.0 KB

Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 430
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  photo (2).JPG
Views: 451
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  261.1 KB

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 08-21-2013 at 12:08 PM.
RupertPupkin is offline   United_States
      08-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Pics added.
      08-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
bhmax16
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 328xi E92

Doesn't look like anything to do with your clutch, but rather the dual mass flywheel failed. The dual mass flywheel has a series of springs and fluid/grease for dampening the engine vibrations to the drivetrain inside it. Clearly a component inside failed, punctured the side, and allowed all the fluid to spray all over the inside of the bellhousing. The judder you were feeling on cold mornings in the clutch is a tell-tale sign of a DMF that has failed (many members who switch from a DMF to a SMF also report clutch chatter), though it is due to swapping for a modified part rather than a failure. Upon inspection, hopefully the bellhousing and starter aren't damaged and you can get away with just a good cleaning with a new flywheel and clutch assembly
      08-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
TittoBlunt
Private

Drives: 2007 328i, 2013 328i M-Sport

Sorry for your loss. What's the cost to repair this?
      08-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

I agree. The flywheel is the root cause here. Which in turn ruined everything else. As of right now for clutch/ flywheel and associated parts They have quoted me

$2740 all said and done. Using all Original BMW parts, etc. It seems steep to me as their labor rate is $124/hr as well. I know they have an awesome rep and do good work, but damn.
      08-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
Johnny D
Major

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
Id save a few bucks and go with a spec clutch and flywheel. Reputable brand that is just as good as OEM and less expensive direct from them. Labor...well, cant do much with that unless youre willing to get your hands dirty.
      08-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
sirantsE90
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: N51 E90

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Any preventative maintenance to help this from not happening besides no 5k launches. Since the housing is sealed we cant change the fluid right?

Hope it works out for you.

N51 FTW
      08-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
Id save a few bucks and go with a spec clutch and flywheel. Reputable brand that is just as good as OEM and less expensive direct from them. Labor...well, cant do much with that unless youre willing to get your hands dirty.

Chose to just get it fixed with OEM parts. Going to sell the car after this. Water pump was replaced in May. Insane repairs need me a newer vehicle with CPO Warranty and some turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirantsE90 View Post
Any preventative maintenance to help this from not happening besides no 5k launches. Since the housing is sealed we cant change the fluid right?

Hope it works out for you.

Nothing that I can think of. The shop basically says the same. It just failed catastrophically for whatever reason. I never launched the car maybe once or twice, even then it was 3 ish k RPM. I was babying it the day it happened too.

Very lame, but it'll be all good and ready for its next owner. Love the car just can't keep doing this.
      08-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
mapleridge
Banned

Drives: E90 N52 AT

How many miles on her?
      08-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
How many miles on her?

Just shy of 100k. Water pump went about 500 miles ago too. All lovely timing.
      08-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
mapleridge
Banned

sorry to hear about that.
      08-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
sorry to hear about that.

Thanks. I have mentally broken up with the car. Its for sale when fixed and so are the mods and its time to move on. Sucks but you learn your lessons.
      08-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
Colonel

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Thanks. I have mentally broken up with the car. Its for sale when fixed and so are the mods and its time to move on. Sucks but you learn your lessons.
So I'd like to offer a counterpoint here. The water pump went and you spent, what maybe $800 for the repair? The flywheel blew and made a mess and going to be $2,700. You've added a bunch of mods to the car too. So all that money you'll get about 50 cents on the dollar for when you sell the car, which is more of a waste of money. You've fixed most of the major stuff and then you go sell it. Once a car reaches or gets near 100,000 miles it really drops in value; generally if you keep it to that level of mileage you've made the decision to keep it and take it to at least 150,000 or 200,000 miles.

Now you want to go get a 335i with CPO (which doesn't cover all you think it does) and make monthly payments I assume. IMO you have a decent car now, you've got a bunch of money in it. The N52 E90 easily goes to 200,000 miles (I have first hand experience). Why not get use (i.e. mileage) out of the money you have already spent and keep the car a few more years?
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
      08-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Agree with what you're saying, but here is the problem. I got a great deal on the car to begin with. Even selling to someone now for a deal to get it sold will allow me to finish off my loan and be ahead. I actually spent 1500 on the water pump because i was left on the side of the turnpike in rural PA and had to be towed an hour to Pittsburgh where i was again bent over. I am fully out of warranty, and those two things are hardly the end of the major things. What if a diff goes? What if the tranny goes, how about the numerous suspension components? I never said 335, I would look at them last. MY honest move which make most financial sense at this point in my life while trying to buy a new house is to dump this, break even, and buy a cheaper car in warranty with much lower monthly payments and in a few years get something nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So I'd like to offer a counterpoint here. The water pump went and you spent, what maybe $800 for the repair? The flywheel blew and made a mess and going to be $2,700. You've added a bunch of mods to the car too. So all that money you'll get about 50 cents on the dollar for when you sell the car, which is more of a waste of money. You've fixed most of the major stuff and then you go sell it. Once a car reaches or gets near 100,000 miles it really drops in value; generally if you keep it to that level of mileage you've made the decision to keep it and take it to at least 150,000 or 200,000 miles.

Now you want to go get a 335i with CPO (which doesn't cover all you think it does) and make monthly payments I assume. IMO you have a decent car now, you've got a bunch of money in it. The N52 E90 easily goes to 200,000 miles (I have first hand experience). Why not get use (i.e. mileage) out of the money you have already spent and keep the car a few more years?
      08-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #15
DC_Oldboy
Troll of the PNW

Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.09]
Damn sorry to hear all the trouble you're having and that you're going to get rid of it.. You and I have the same car.. =(
      08-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
mapleridge
Banned

would fluid changes have done anything to prevent this?
      08-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
would fluid changes have done anything to prevent this?
There was nothing preventative to be done. The flywheel just mechanically failed and exploded, taking the clutch with it. Transmission and engine are fine.