E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just installed my first mod.

04-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #23
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion

Drives: Schwarz 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
oh so you've done back to back dyno testing yourself to show the dinan intake making 30+hp over stock vs. a dual cone intake over stock? i'd love to see that data..
1. Yes, sort of. The dyno was before & after the CAI; I never mentioned a DCI.
2. Do a

Rick
HTRules is offline   United_States
      04-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
HTRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
I have no opinion on the injen. I'd assume it works just like the other DCI's however I think I remember compatibility/fitment issues with the injen and other mods like the ER intake manifold or other things. Maybe I'm getting that confused. It looks nice but I have no comment about it since I have no experience with the mod myself.

BSHspeedshop yes, there are currently no details but there will be in a few weeks. But judging off what they have done before, they do quality work and they tell me there is an error in the design of the STETT CAI that they will be rectifying. Something to do with the fact that you've got two turbos sucking from one intake cone. Turbos don't take in air exactly the same, linearly, so they need to operate separately otherwise you're inducing a type of restriction. They're also not fans of the HAI(Hot Air Intake) which is what DCI's are also referred as since you're taking in hot air right off the motor. The stock intake at least takes air from outside. You just need to determine if the flow restriction removal is worth taking in higher IAT's. I won't elaborate I'll let them do that when the time is right.

Exactly... Super Street stickers give 10hp at the 'top end'.

Your post said the Dinan CAI will "provide minimal benefits if any." That statement is demonstrably incorrect, based on dyno-testing I've done & posted in this forum.

The Dinan CAI hp gains are found from about 5200 - 6200 rpm, and max out at 35 hp. Are those not 'top end' gains?

Golly, now if you'd let me have one of your cool SS stickers I'd be up to + 45.

Rick
      04-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #25
Terrance28
Brigadier General

Drives: Crimson Red E92

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
A boost gauge is a great investment for this car.
      04-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #26
kdu3

Drives: 335i

I'm a newb so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in a forced induction engine CAIs do not play as big of a role compared to NA. The air is driven through the turbines where it heats up and then has to cool down again when it passes through the IC. Of course there will be a benefit of sending cooler air trough the system from the intake, but the big gains come from cooler air entering the engine and that is why a FMIC plays a more dominant role. So you are better off getting a cheaper intake system like DCI, even if it's warm air that is being sucked in and then upgrading the FMIC which will ultimately deliver the biggest gains or in this case the biggest drop in air temperature entering the engine.

I'm also skeptical when I see huge gains associated with any intake, CAI or WAI and especially at stock HP outputs. If you see huge gains it means that the stock intake system was designed very poorly and I doubt that is the case with this BMW engine. I think an intake system is more important as your HP output goes up especially in a FI application. Your engine needs more air so if the stock system is replaced with a less restrictive intake you will see gains. Which brings me to this question. When the Dinan dyno was done was it done on an otherwise stock car or a heavily modified one? That is probably the only way I can see such performance gains from a CAI.
      04-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #27
HTRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdu3 View Post

I'm also skeptical when I see huge gains associated with any intake, CAI or WAI and especially at stock HP outputs. If you see huge gains it means that the stock intake system was designed very poorly and I doubt that is the case with this BMW engine. I think an intake system is more important as your HP output goes up especially in a FI application. Your engine needs more air so if the stock system is replaced with a less restrictive intake you will see gains. Which brings me to this question. When the Dinan dyno was done was it done on an otherwise stock car or a heavily modified one? That is probably the only way I can see such performance gains from a CAI.
The only mod done on my car pre-CAI was Dinan's Stage II software.
Check out the thread for more.

Rick
      04-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #28
Mnut
Germanized

Drives: e90 335i

just installed my DCI and changed from map#3 to map#4. The car fells so much stronger now I will take it to the dyno next month to see what she lays down. The BMS dci is much quieter than I thought and makes for a stealthy modded 335i now. Terrance28 said in one of the above post that A boost guage would be a good idea and I am thinking along those lines. So mod 4 is on the way....lol
Ultimate Racing DP's
Intercooler???
Mnut is offline   United_States
      04-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #29
Mnut
Germanized

found this .. it looks to be very stealthy might be my next mod

http://www.burgertuning.com/gauge.html
Ultimate Racing DP's
Intercooler???
      04-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #30
IlChengis
once Treppiede

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
It looks nice but I have no comment about it since I have no experience with the mod myself.
Ok, thanks.

-Walter
      04-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #31
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRules View Post
The Dinan CAI hp gains are found from about 5200 - 6200 rpm, and max out at 35 hp. Are those not 'top end' gains?
I'd like to see the dyno, please. You're essentially saying that the stock airbox is VERY restrictive. Others on this forum tell us the stock airbox to be anything but restrictive up to atleast 400 hp (sorry, since I didn't claim this, I have no dyno to show for either).

E92 335i coupe March 2007
BayerischeMW is offline   Norway
      04-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #32
HTRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW View Post
I'd like to see the dyno, please. You're essentially saying that the stock airbox is VERY restrictive. Others on this forum tell us the stock airbox to be anything but restrictive up to atleast 400 hp (sorry, since I didn't claim this, I have no dyno to show for either).
Here 'tis:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345676
      04-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #33
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

Drives: '07 E92 335i

Wow, that is very surprising. What makes the Dinan gain so much? Or is this something to be expected from any CAI combined with a tune?

However, my biggest gripe is the filters (not just Dinan, every CAI/DCI/slip-in filter). They allow bigger sized particles into our engine. Since we don't have MAFs, the oil isn't as hazardous, but the bigger dust particles etc allowed into the engine could reduce engine longevity.

What do others think of this?

E92 335i coupe March 2007
BayerischeMW is offline   Norway
      04-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #34
badass1g
Captain

Drives: 07 335i

30+whp from an intake? I think not.
      04-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #35
Mnut
Germanized

Just ran map 5 last night for the first time and it feels like the power comes on smoother than map 4. Overall I like map 4 best .
Ultimate Racing DP's
Intercooler???