E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need to reset key fob or replace battery?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
jalanparker37
Registered
jalanparker37's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Need to reset key fob or replace battery?

Hi, my fiance's 2006 BMW 325i won't start when I we push the start button, and the engine doesn't even try to turn. I'm really not sure what to do, and I'd hate to have it towed to the dealership if I don't have to.

Some lights on the dashboard display come on, most prominently a symbol of a key. Lights in the car do come on.

I thought that maybe the battery needed a jump and tried that, but there is really no change. A few more lights on the dashboard light up schizophrenically, such as a symbol of a car, but without the pedestal that signifies needing maintenance.

My fiance seems to think that the keys need to be reset - that she had to do that once before. But both of her two keys do not work, so that doesn't seem to make sense to me. However, it also doesn't quite seem like the battery is dead either.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or suggestions for me to try out to identify the problem? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
33five
Captain
9
Rep
631
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (10)

try changing battery in key fob?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,512
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Put the fob in the dash--even with no battery, the fob works that way.

Assuming you have comfort access, it's a 2032 coin cell. Oddly, I went to 3 Wal Marts before finding one pack of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
rault18
Lieutenant
7
Rep
410
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: las vegas

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33five View Post
try changing battery in key fob?
nope...key fobs charge when inserted on the slot...

I think it could be the battery...sounds like an electrical issue


OP ..if ur under warranty take it to ur stealership..if not take it to ur best local bmw shop
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
///Mik3's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
568
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ///Mik3
Could be something as simple as a blown fuse.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,754
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rault18 View Post
nope...key fobs charge when inserted on the slot...

I think it could be the battery...sounds like an electrical issue


OP ..if ur under warranty take it to ur stealership..if not take it to ur best local bmw shop
NOT if you have the comfort access fob -- they don't charge, they use a coin cell battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
OlivaresAnthony's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,097
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Steering wheel lock failure maybe?
__________________
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
kevgod
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanparker37 View Post
Hi, my fiance's 2006 BMW 325i won't start when I we push the start button, and the engine doesn't even try to turn. I'm really not sure what to do, and I'd hate to have it towed to the dealership if I don't have to.

Some lights on the dashboard display come on, most prominently a symbol of a key. Lights in the car do come on.

I thought that maybe the battery needed a jump and tried that, but there is really no change. A few more lights on the dashboard light up schizophrenically, such as a symbol of a car, but without the pedestal that signifies needing maintenance.

My fiance seems to think that the keys need to be reset - that she had to do that once before. But both of her two keys do not work, so that doesn't seem to make sense to me. However, it also doesn't quite seem like the battery is dead either.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or suggestions for me to try out to identify the problem? Thanks.
Did you ever find a solution to this? My 2006 325i is having the exact same problem.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
Tom K.'s Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
5,412
Posts

 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgod View Post
Did you ever find a solution to this? My 2006 325i is having the exact same problem.

Thanks!
Do you have Comfort Access? If so, have you tried inserting the fob in the dash slot and then pushing the Start button?

Tom
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
battery, key fob, reset

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST