E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 exhaust/dp: single or dual?

04-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

N55 exhaust/dp: single or dual?

has anyone seen the bottom of N55 equipped cars? are the exhaust pipes/dp, singular or dual?

i know the N54 has a completely separate dual pipes from each of the turbos all the way back to the point where they meet again in the mufflers.

i also know that the N55 has two separate tracks for the exhaust going IN to the turbo but does it also have separate tracks coming OUT of the turbo as well?

i guess i am trying to figure out what the changes are between N54 to N55 in the exhaust department, if any at all.
      04-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
E92White
**N54 Power Baby**

Drives: E82 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
has anyone seen the bottom of N55 equipped cars? are the exhaust pipes/dp, singular or dual?

i know the N54 has a completely separate dual pipes from each of the turbos all the way back to the point where they meet again in the mufflers.

i also know that the N55 has two separate tracks for the exhaust going IN to the turbo but does it also have separate tracks coming OUT of the turbo as well?

i guess i am trying to figure out what the changes are between N54 to N55 in the exhaust department, if any at all.
From my understanding,its gonna be a single downpipe exiting off into a dual exhaust setup..like a 'Y' pipe.
E92White is offline   United_States
      04-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Jake@PTF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: AW E92 335i

The turbine housing on a twin scroll is the same as any other turbo housing except for the flange that attaches to the manifold. There will only be one downpipe as it is a single turbo. The twin scroll flange separates the exhaust gas pulses that allow better flow to spool the turbo faster however they still flow out a single outlet.

Hope that helped.
      04-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Papajim
Private

Drives: E90 335i '07

1 turbo -> 1 downpipe,
2 turbos -> 2 downpipes,
...etc
      04-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW