BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N47 - EGR block an DPF removal

11-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #1

Drives: e46 320i

N47 - EGR block an DPF removal

I have a 2011 E91 316d with 2.0 N47.

This 316d is detuned to 116hp. I am considering having it remaped to about 180hp.

The company that can do the remap also offer to program the EGR to never open and to program the engine to run without DPF (I will then install a dummy).

Does programming the EGR to never open have any neagative effect on engine reliability?

Will it reduce the effect of the interior heating (does the EGR cooler double as a extra heater for the cooling water in low temperatures, to make interior heating enough?)? I live in Norway...

Does installing a DPF dummy and programming the engine to run with it have any negative effect on engine reliabilty?

I'm familiar that on older engines removing egr and dpf is all good for reliability, but I don't know if it is different on these newer engines?

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

Drives: BMW 320 D E90 LCI

I did this on 2009 E90 320d 2.0 N47... Closing EGR can only have positive effect on engine, as smoke and soot never go trough intake. It will however cause delay in interior heating... it will heat the same but will need more time to start heating.

Also removing DPF does not have negative effect on engine if done properly... Engine spins more freely, and has more power. Consumption also drops with removed DPF. Only negative effect is on environment...
Appreciate 0