E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > how would you clean the intake manifold (N54)?

09-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
bf15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

how would you clean the intake manifold (N54)?

I have my intake manifold off because i'm installing a tial BOV and need to upgrade the nipple.

The manifold has quite a bit of oil/gunk in it With it having about 60K on the clock. IM also needing to clean the valves, but i'll tackle that on another day when i get the walnut blasting kit.

anyways, whats the best way to clean out the intake manifold, and is there even any point in doing it if i do not have a catch can to install now?

at first i was thinking of soaking it in some carb cleaner in the vat, but i figure the plastic may not like that. so maybe i should get some baby bottle cleaners and go the scrub it out route with some purple power?

i do still have the throttle body and sensor attached i figure i'd need to remove the sensor, but is the TB ok to leave on while doing this?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
bf15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

so i just ended up soaking a rag in some seafoam and then stuffed it in the intake for about 5-10 minutes.... worked pretty good. i think it was more oil in the intake than anything. The carbon on the valves is pretty bad, i'll be cleaning those soon.

thread can be closed
Appreciate 0