E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil Leaks 2007 328i

03-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #1
SObmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sparkling graphite

Exclamation Oil Leaks 2007 328i

I recently purchased my first bmw. A 2007 328i with just 44k miles.

I purchased the car at a BMW dealer 300 miles from home, they had the car I wanted for a price I could afford.

However shortly after purchase, I noticed oil spots on my driveway followed by the "add 1qt oil" warning. I added oil to the engine and brought the car into my local BMW dealer to diagnose the problem.

They diagnosed a leaking oil filter housing gasket as well as a leaking oil pan gasket. I elected to have both replaced for a breezy $1,200 including parts and labor.

The next morning, oil on my driveway. I take the car back in and the dealer discovers continued leaking from the oil filter housing gasket which they offered to replace a second time at no charge.

Today I took the car in for the siriusxm retrofit ($1,098......) and to have it checked for more leaks. When the car was in last the tech put dye in the oil to search for leaks. Today the dealer noted that oil was seeping from the timing chain tensioner gasket, which I had them replace for $92 including labor ($2.97 part...).

Tonight, the car is still leaking oil.... The car left oil on the driveway again. I don't think its residual oil because the tech completely pressured washed all the underbody panels and cleaned the engine compartment if residual oil.

I can't take the car tomorrow because service is closed Sunday and my SA won't be in until Tuesday.

Does anyone have any ideas what else could be leaking? The dealer assured me it wasn't the valve cover gasket, it was dry all around that region.

I'm baffled as to what else there could be. I've spent over a grand at this dealer this week and feel like they are just replacing parts as a guess and check at an extreme cost to me. And at this point I'm pretty frustrated with the dealer...

Any ideas?.. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
EndOfAnEra
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey/Coral Red E92 328i

Send a message via Yahoo to EndOfAnEra
Any idea the condition of your valve cover gasket?
      03-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
SObmw
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
Any idea the condition of your valve cover gasket?
No idea. I look I. The engine compartment and the engine is dry all around the sides. The only place I ever saw oil was on the front side, from the filter housing. The tech said there was not oil in the spark plug valleys. I also have not smelled burning oil at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
e92joe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi e90

change the oil filter housing gasket, its about $13 and theres a DIY on the forum
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
SObmw
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92joe View Post
change the oil filter housing gasket, its about $13 and theres a DIY on the forum
The dealer has replaced the oil filter housing gasket twice already, I really don't think it should be leaking from there anymore
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:44 AM   #6
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 - 325i (2.5) SE Auto

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1103938

and

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #7
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi

How sure are you its not leaking at the rear of the valve cover gasket? are you sure it's MOTOR oil? vs power steering or brake fluid? Just some more things to double check.
Appreciate 0