E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil line or turbos shot?

07-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
tjobeid
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Oil line or turbos shot?

My car has been loosing oil. Every 3 weeks it asks me to add a quart. Im FBO including carless DP. I still have my mid cats. I don't smoke out of my exhaust. Not that i notice at least. I removed the under tray to see if I'm dripping oil where i park and I'm not. However i look closely today and noticed I'm dropping oil from two place. 1 is what seems like the oil line behind the charge pipe under the intake seems to be dropping oil on my charge pipe and running all the way down the line that is in front of the fan. in the picture below you cans see that it runs all the way down to the lowest point then drops. The 2nd place is on the turbo. Im afraid these turbos are shot now and need replacing. Everyone once in a while once a month i can smell oil burning but its rare to see white smoke and i don't think its coming from exhaust. However inside my Chargepipe there is some oil.

I look at my valve cover gasket its not leaking, did my plugs yesterday no oil on them.

Replaced my OFHG about 6 months ago so i know its not that.
Attached Images

07-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
tjobeid
First Lieutenant

here is a close up on the turbo, You guys think the whole turbo needs replacing or just the oil line gaskets? I do rattle like shit! car is not eligible for any kind of warranty
Attached Images

07-03-2014, 02:40 AM   #3
froop
Colonel

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Oil in the charge pipe is normal unless you have an oil catch can.

Oil on the outside of your turbos could be from the valve cover gasket. Pull the engine cover off and check around the valve cover.

If you are leaking oil from the turbo seals themselves you would usually see smoke from the exhaust, especially if you are catless. If it's that bad, even with cats you will see smoke out of the exhaust.
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
      07-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
tjobeid
First Lieutenant

Valve cover was checked when i did my spark plugs sunday. OFHG was replaced 6 months ago and that looks good still. I do not have a OCC so i understand oil in the charge pipe is normal but this oil is running on the outside of the line NEXT TO THE charge pipe and gong all the way down and dripping. If you stand in front of the car and look at the fan you will see an oil line that looks like a check mark and goes from bottom left to top right . Thats has oil on the outside of it.
      07-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
924er
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i coupe

how many miles on the car and how does it pull? I'm guessing its your oil lines connected to your turbo
      07-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
tjobeid
First Lieutenant

still pulls fine with fob and e85 i still hit 17.5-18 psi i have 70k on it. no warranty and no Bmw won't cover the turbos
      07-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #7
924er
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjobeid View Post
still pulls fine with fob and e85 i still hit 17.5-18 psi i have 70k on it. no warranty and no Bmw won't cover the turbos
why won't they cover the turbos.