E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Indy shop stumped... Need advice (07' E90)

05-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
MrSteak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Indy shop stumped... Need advice (07' E90)

2007 E90 328i with approx 101k miles.

1. Some engine ticking, some leaked oil in the driveway, and an occasional "service light" pop up, but otherwise no other warnings or lights. (Indy found no codes or issues).

2. Months later, serpentine belt blows while driving. Shredded pieces & oil all over engine/bay.

3. Have car towed to indy. Belt replaced. Engine bay cleaned out.

4. Engine ticking/noise is worse. Indy swapped out a spare oil pump switch, and that didn't do anything. They've never seen anything like this, and are saying they don't want to run the car for fear it will damage the engine.

5. Help? Advice? Anyone with a similar experience?

Debating trying to find another indy that specializes in BMW, or bite the bullet and go to the dealer.
      05-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
opjose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Are you sure you are not hearing the injectors ticking, especially when cold?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
DarkNemesis
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car

Your Belt Shredded and you had Oil in Engine Bay and where .....

Ummm.....where did the Oil come from.

If Belt Shredded then are you sure Belt did not enter Behind Crank Pulley and into Engine?
meaning did oil come from Behind Crank Pulley.....if so....take it Crank Pulley off , seal and make sure there is no belt in the engine.
      05-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
MrSteak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Are you sure you are not hearing the injectors ticking, especially when cold?
From what I remember the ticking just sounds like an older engine being loud... Never really sounded too alarming.

Not sure if it's the injectors, but I'd hope my indy shop would at least be able to diagnose it if it were the injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Your Belt Shredded and you had Oil in Engine Bay and where .....

Ummm.....where did the Oil come from.

If Belt Shredded then are you sure Belt did not enter Behind Crank Pulley and into Engine?
meaning did oil come from Behind Crank Pulley.....if so....take it Crank Pulley off , seal and make sure there is no belt in the engine.

DarkNemesis, thanks for responding on both threads!

1. Not sure where the oil came from. If I had to guess, I'd say engine oil filter housing (maybe the hot oil leaked onto belt and that melted/weakened it?).

2. I honestly don't know if any of the belt made it behind the Crank Pulley or into the Engine. I'm not the most mechanically inclined. Thanks to this site, it's users, and Google, I've been able to diagnose some issues, find fixes, and do a few simple DIY things in the past, but that's it.

3. How would I know if belt pieces made it into the engine? If they made it in, then what?
      05-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
DarkNemesis
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car

Take it to a Reputable shop and have them Properly Diagnose.
INDY or BMW Dealer.
Tow it there.....I would not turn it over unless I know for sure.
      05-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 7DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
From what I remember the ticking just sounds like an older engine being loud... Never really sounded too alarming.

Not sure if it's the injectors, but I'd hope my indy shop would at least be able to diagnose it if it were the injectors.

DarkNemesis, thanks for responding on both threads!

1. Not sure where the oil came from. If I had to guess, I'd say engine oil filter housing (maybe the hot oil leaked onto belt and that melted/weakened it?).

2. I honestly don't know if any of the belt made it behind the Crank Pulley or into the Engine. I'm not the most mechanically inclined. Thanks to this site, it's users, and Google, I've been able to diagnose some issues, find fixes, and do a few simple DIY things in the past, but that's it.

3. How would I know if belt pieces made it into the engine? If they made it in, then what?
Drain oil and examine for rubber and fibre/rope particles. Ideally, drop the sump and inspect inside, and the oil pickup

Because of how it happens, belt debris can get everywhere if it's trapped in the timing chain and slung all around the head for example
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
Is it maybe leaking from the Oil Filter Housing Gasket? Since the belt shredded perhaps it leaked from the OFHG on to the belt?

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
MrSteak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Take it to a Reputable shop and have them Properly Diagnose.
INDY or BMW Dealer.
Tow it there.....I would not turn it over unless I know for sure.
It's been at our indy shop for over a week now.

Hoping they can figure it out, otherwise bringing it to BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Drain oil and examine for rubber and fibre/rope particles. Ideally, drop the sump and inspect inside, and the oil pickup

Because of how it happens, belt debris can get everywhere if it's trapped in the timing chain and slung all around the head for example
Cool, when I talk to my shop I'll ask them if they drained the oil and/or confirmed belt debris anywhere inside the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Is it maybe leaking from the Oil Filter Housing Gasket? Since the belt shredded perhaps it leaked from the OFHG on to the belt?
That's my guess. The OFHG may have a leak, and the hot oil could prematurely wear whatever it comes in contact with.

Again...... Thanks everyone for all the input and advice. I'm still waiting on a diagnosis, but when it's all sorted out, I'll post whatever the final outcome is here (just in case anyone else ever has a similar problem).
      05-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
doru
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, e53, e46, e83, R.I.P. e39

Check post #23 in this thread, after you watch/listen to the noises so you can compare.
e53 N62
e46ci M54B25 R.I.P. e39 M54B30
Appreciate 0