E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Look Ma "NO HOLES" front license plate solution

07-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #133
hailtothetim

Drives: E90 325i SGM

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I did this mod this weekend, looks great. Elegant solution to the standard license plate holders....
Attached Images

hailtothetim is offline   United_States
      07-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #134
CALuv
Soldier of Fortune

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I thought I would post my story (same Bell mounting bracket) since it provides a little insight into a) the stock E92 bumper and b) euro plates (both mentioned in this thread and the latter apparently a point of contention ... is it +1, is it -1 ... who ***ing cares?).

Anyway, first I tried this thread's approach ... no drilling sure sounds nice, especially in light of the recent BP accident. Sooo ... apparently the stock bumper's lower "grille" is quite flimsy and the bracket was bouncing around like ... well, you know. I can only imagine it would look ridiculous driving down the road and oncoming traffic only being able to see the plate text vibrating to the point of being illegible ... and potentially disorienting, and ... *crash*!

Then I tried FrankiE90's approach. Now that's sturdy! My bracket installation is identical but I used a euro-sized plate (pretty much looks like what should appear in my sig/profile). The cheap plastic frame it came with had enough of a margin at the bottom to drill through the plastic at the US plates' standard mounting locations.

I just wish I had known ahead of time about the stock bumper not being a good fit for the no-drilling approach. It was a b**h to get the screws in there with the washers, then get the screw's thread through the bracket, get the nut on there ... add to that a sweltering Texas day ... anyway.

So, for those out there interested ... a) don't do it on the stock bumper (unless they make them sturdier these days ... mine is an 07 ... it has a lot of flex ... check yours) ... b) euro plates work just as well ... just make sure the frame they're in has room for the mounting screws (I used the hex ones from the kit).

Thanks, OP, for the sticky foam pad idea ... I was given a bunch a while back for furniture but I have stone floors so I didn't really care ... they finally came in handy!

I will post a picture in the near future ... I should have washed the car before this undertaking so it's not quite presentable and I know how you guys like purdy pictures ... and b), I know you guys are quite the sticklers about details and my work looks like a kindergarten art project. I'm hoping under the proper light and with a little photoshop I won't get flamed for symmetry, alignment and all that jazz.

Best,
CA Luv
      07-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #135
beneliezer
Captain

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

wow sorry delete...
      07-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #136
BSME90
Captain

Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [4.50]
I installed that Bell License plate holder and it started rusting so I ditched it for this.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gamEKIpNZQU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gamEKIpNZQU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
BSME90 is offline   Philippines
      07-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #137
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
link?
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
      07-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #138
GTiceman
Parrothead

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.70]
I did my Bell holder about a week ago and so far so good ... I probably will be doing the swift motorsports motorized mount in the future
      07-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #139
CALuv
Soldier of Fortune

That is sweet! I wouldn't want to drive it like that all the time as it appears that it seriously blocks airflow to the I/C but it would be funny to mess with law enforcement and extend the plate as you get pulled over for no front plate. "What the ....?"
      07-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #140
BSME90
Captain

Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALuv View Post
That is sweet! I wouldn't want to drive it like that all the time as it appears that it seriously blocks airflow to the I/C but it would be funny to mess with law enforcement and extend the plate as you get pulled over for no front plate. "What the ....?"
Funny story, I have actually gotten pulled over for no front plate. As the cop was telling me he didn't see a front plate, I flipped the plate out and told him. He walked in front of my car, saw it, came back to me, apologized, and let me go.
BSME90 is offline   Philippines
      07-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #141
CALuv
Soldier of Fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSME90 View Post
Funny story, I have actually gotten pulled over for no front plate. As the cop was telling me he didn't see a front plate, I flipped the plate out and told him. He walked in front of my car, saw it, came back to me, apologized, and let me go.
Nice! It's funny but, man, that takes some serious balls ... you better hope cops have a sense of humor in MN because they're bound to figure it out eventually and I know some places (like in Massachusetts where State Troopers graduate from the SS Academy), they would flip out. Cops here in Texas are cool ... they believe in service with a smile ... they don't mind handing out $200-300 tickets because it's a big boost to the local economy and they know it. "Nice doin' business with ya, pardner!" They will even dismiss the ticket in court and just let you pay an "admin fee" equal to the cost of the ticket. They don't want your insurance premium to be affected so that your driving doesn't improve and your money doesn't go elsewhere!
      07-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #142
Bimmermaniac
Private

Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I am highly considering this option as well as the flip out option. Do you have a link to this product (the flip out plate)?

I told the dealer before I bought my car if they drill holes in my bumper I will ask for the car for free... they did not drill any holes in my car.

For all you California folks, and also those who are cool this is a link to a petition to eliminate the requirement for having the plate in the front. I am sure it will go nowhere, but as the great Wayne G. said "you miss every shot you don't take."

http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html
      07-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #143
CALuv
Soldier of Fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermaniac View Post
I am highly considering this option as well as the flip out option. Do you have a link to this product (the flip out plate)?

I told the dealer before I bought my car if they drill holes in my bumper I will ask for the car for free... they did not drill any holes in my car.

For all you California folks, and also those who are cool this is a link to a petition to eliminate the requirement for having the plate in the front. I am sure it will go nowhere, but as the great Wayne G. said "you miss every shot you don't take."

http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html
The consensus I am getting here in TX is that the front plate is primarily useful to law enforcement to be able to clock you with a speed gun as you approach. They need a flat, metallic surface perpendicular to the line of motion. Without one, it is likely that all they can do is pull you over for possibly speeding and give you a warning or two (I got two last time, for alleged speeding and no front plate). I _never_ got away with warnings before. Then again, I never before had vehicles without front plates!

I can't remember for sure but I believe, in TX, no-front-plate tickets are not considered "moving violations" (like speeding) so they may not be as much trouble for your insurance/driving record. I think I'd rather pay $200 every time I got busted for no plate than risk getting clocked.
      07-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #144
Bimmermaniac
Private

Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 335i Coupe  [0.00]
$25 fix it ticket if you get it signed off, which you can with a tow hook bracket and then remove after getting the ticket signed off in CA.
      07-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #145
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

My skene design is holding up great....no rust

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378800
      07-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #146
AlbinoSnail
n00bie

Drives: three.thirty.five.i.

interesting
      07-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #147
snipersix
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 328i Sedan Montego Blue

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to snipersix
im getting one on my trip to san francisco on august

Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|AT|Nav/Idrive|PDC|Xenon Headlights| Black Leatherette Seats, Silver trim| COTM April 2010
Mods:PIAA, H&R Sport, Blacklines, BBS LM-R, Eisenman Race Quad Exhaust , Koni yellows, Full Mtech, Gloss Black Vinyl Roof
snipersix is offline   Canada
      07-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #148
Edward
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

So I just bought this and will try to screw on without taking off the bumper or splash guard. I figure that I can do the reverse and put the screw on the inside and tighten the nut from the outside. Once you screw til you get a little bit of resistance, I don't think it will be necessary to have the nut held in place with a wrench. I figure it's easier to fish the bolt in there instead of holding a tiny nut inside the mesh and trying to thread the bolt through it from the outside. I need to pick up a few washers though.
Edward is offline   United_States
      09-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #149
T Bimmer
El Jefe

Drives: e92 M3, e30 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
So I just bought this and will try to screw on without taking off the bumper or splash guard. I figure that I can do the reverse and put the screw on the inside and tighten the nut from the outside. Once you screw til you get a little bit of resistance, I don't think it will be necessary to have the nut held in place with a wrench. I figure it's easier to fish the bolt in there instead of holding a tiny nut inside the mesh and trying to thread the bolt through it from the outside. I need to pick up a few washers though.
where did you get it? Very Interested, thanks
T Bimmer is offline   Venezuela
      09-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #150
CALuv
Soldier of Fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bimmer View Post
The bracket? You get that at AutoZone. Bell/Adjustable license plate mounting bracket. Part # 46230-8.

BTW, please heed my warning ... the stock bumper's honeycomb is not sturdy at all. The license plate will be bouncing around. It's embarrassing to watch.
      09-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #151
Edward
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bimmer View Post
Autozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALuv View Post
The bracket? You get that at AutoZone. Bell/Adjustable license plate mounting bracket. Part # 46230-8.

BTW, please heed my warning ... the stock bumper's honeycomb is not sturdy at all. The license plate will be bouncing around. It's embarrassing to watch.
What bumper do you have? I have the newest LCI M-sport bumper for coupes and it looks like this mesh has the largest area and would probably be the flimsiest?

I'm still rocking paper plates only because I want to be totally covered when it comes to not having a front plate. I have not yet gotten around to trying out the Bell holder I bought a while back.
Edward is offline   United_States
      09-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #152
khaye1
Colonel

Drives: '12 MW 335i

I have the mtech and the honeycomb is sturdy enough...the stock one on the other hand would be too flimsy, as stated by CALuv
      10-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #153
dtiger

Drives: 2011 528i

khaye1, thanks for the tip. I'm ordering it from Amazon.
      10-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #154
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 335xi --> 06 BSM 330i

Send a message via AIM to wakeboarder109
I did skip a couple pages in the middle but has anyone successfully installed this without removing the front bumper or splash guard?
wakeboarder109 is offline   United_States