E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335 Dinan tidbit...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
tb335
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: Montego 335 - Black w/ Alum.
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Smile 335 Dinan tidbit...

Hello all. I picked up my montego blue 335 on Monday, and had an interesting discussion with the store manager. It started out simple enough, we were discussing my decision to de-badge, and how good it turned out looking, when all of the sudden he asked if I would be interested in any Dinan upgrades. I of course said yes! He then told me that Dinan is currently working on a performance package to be released mid to late '07 that ups the power to around 400bhp. I asked if he was mistakenly referencing the Vishnu Package, but he said that this was something he heard from his Dinan rep.

Now I realize he could be embellishing a bit, but the possibility is exciting...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
canucklion's Avatar
Canada
110
Rep
10,454
Posts

 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (9)

the thing is Dinan will be really expensive though, but you do get to keep your warranty by going with Dinan.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

pics please.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
sflgator
Major General
sflgator's Avatar
81
Rep
5,389
Posts

 
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb335
Hello all. I picked up my montego blue 335 on Monday, and had an interesting discussion with the store manager. It started out simple enough, we were discussing my decision to de-badge, and how good it turned out looking, when all of the sudden he asked if I would be interested in any Dinan upgrades. I of course said yes! He then told me that Dinan is currently working on a performance package to be released mid to late '07 that ups the power to around 400bhp. I asked if he was mistakenly referencing the Vishnu Package, but he said that this was something he heard from his Dinan rep.

Now I realize he could be embellishing a bit, but the possibility is exciting...
Sorry, mid to late '07 is too late for those who got their '07 335i's in late '06 and are on a 2-3 year lease (or who otherwise plan on only keeping the car for a short time). Dinan, like Shiv Vishnu should have already been working on a chip upgrade for the 335i when the car came out in Sept., '06 and they didn't. Dinan dropped the ball, and they wait too long to come out with their products. By the time they come out with their 335i chip s/w update, BMW will probably offer the '08 335i ZHP! Therefore, my business and my money (as well as many others who feel the same) go to Shiv for the Xede!
__________________

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
aris214
Private
Greece
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 1993 325i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

noob question: whats ZHP and ZSP?
__________________
1993 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
radgator1's Avatar
25
Rep
1,604
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
Sorry, mid to late '07 is too late for those who got their '07 335i's in late '06 and are on a 2-3 year lease (or who otherwise plan on only keeping the car for a short time). Dinan, like Shiv Vishnu should have already been working on a chip upgrade for the 335i when the car came out in Sept., '06 and they didn't. Dinan dropped the ball, and they wait too long to come out with their products. By the time they come out with their 335i chip s/w update, BMW will probably offer the '08 335i ZHP! Therefore, my business and my money (as well as many others who feel the same) go to Shiv for the Xede!

I agree with this completely, if Dinan had a product or even a prototype with projected pricing and an estimated release date I am sure there are lots of folks who would consider at least waiting to see results. But with no info whatsoever other than a couple of CA's saying "dude, Dinan is gonna tweek this car to 400 HP with some unknown combo of products at some unknown time for some unknown price" then how can we take them seriously? It's Xede all the way until some other tuners get some real products and real data out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Fester
Major
Fester's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
1,129
Posts

 
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1
I agree with this completely, if Dinan had a product or even a prototype with projected pricing and an estimated release date I am sure there are lots of folks who would consider at least waiting to see results. But with no info whatsoever other than a couple of CA's saying "dude, Dinan is gonna tweek this car to 400 HP with some unknown combo of products at some unknown time for some unknown price" then how can we take them seriously? It's Xede all the way until some other tuners get some real products and real data out there.
JIMO - I'd rather wait for Dinan than void my warranty (I purchased 7 yr) with Xede or something of that kind. Dinan puts forth a lot of R&D in developing BMW specific products and time taken to do that is understandable. You don't know what would go wrong with aftermarket products. I am just one of those 'paranoid' kind of people who don't wanna mess with ~$60K investment. Again, its JMO
__________________
2013 911 4S ...GT Silver/Espresso custom build w/ lots of options and all alphabets soup!
2007 335i Coupe ...TiAg/Grey custom build...Sold!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
radgator1's Avatar
25
Rep
1,604
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester
JIMO - I'd rather wait for Dinan than void my warranty (I purchased 7 yr) with Xede or something of that kind. Dinan puts forth a lot of R&D in developing BMW specific products and time taken to do that is understandable. You don't know what would go wrong with aftermarket products. I am just one of those 'paranoid' kind of people who don't wanna mess with ~$60K investment. Again, its JMO
Thats the nice thing about Xede, if your car goes Kaboom, then you take the xede out
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
sflgator
Major General
sflgator's Avatar
81
Rep
5,389
Posts

 
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester
JIMO - I'd rather wait for Dinan than void my warranty (I purchased 7 yr) with Xede or something of that kind. Dinan puts forth a lot of R&D in developing BMW specific products and time taken to do that is understandable. You don't know what would go wrong with aftermarket products. I am just one of those 'paranoid' kind of people who don't wanna mess with ~$60K investment. Again, its JMO
It's obvious that you're planning on keeping your 335i for a very long time, and good for you...it's a great car! However, many of us lease our cars for a short time (my 335i is on a high mileage -- 20k mi./yr. 30-month lease) and then we're on to our next car; so, waiting around for a year for a company like Dinan to get their $hit together doesn't cut it...it's just a waste of time and wishful thinking. If I'm adding a mod, I'm going to do it at the beginning of my lease, so I can get the most out of it for as long as I can.

With the Xede, provided I get another BMW 3'er in 2 1/2 years, it's very possible I may be able to transfer it to my new car with a remapping by Shiv (and yes, based on his company's history, I'm sure he'll still be around). Even if it's not possible, at least I can have a lot of fun with the Xede in my 335i Coupe for the next 2 years while some of you are "waiting around" for Dinan's 335i chip upgrade!
__________________

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 11-23-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
DrH
Private
United_States
2
Rep
98
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Decatur, GA

iTrader: (0)

there ARE other options out there.
EVOtech already has an ECU upgrade out.
other companies have stuff out or on the way.
Dinan HAS dropped the ball no doubt.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37227
__________________

'07 E92 335i Coupe | Monaco Blue
A/T | Paddle shifters | Sports package
| Black/Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
eurotekm3
Private First Class
eurotekm3's Avatar
5
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: e36 M3, Audi B5 S4 Stg.2+
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago,IL

iTrader: (0)

Dinan is a JOKE!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
"speed is a question of money...how fast can you afford to go?"
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
e92law
First Lieutenant
e92law's Avatar
9
Rep
340
Posts

 
Drives: e70
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Resale

There will also be a good resale market for the early birds. I mean, three years later, Vishnu Stage 1 kit should still be worth 1k. Plus, there will be a number of cars coming back from leases and this engine will be in a number of different models by then.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #13
tb335
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: Montego 335 - Black w/ Alum.
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

I was just passing along the info...
I'll probably end up getting the XEDE for several reasons.

1) Shiv's high level of customer service
2) Xede's portability
3) Potential for custom tuning
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
Ado
King Kong
Ado's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
769
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris214
noob question: whats ZHP and ZSP?

ZHP = Performance package
ZCP = Competition package
__________________
08 E92 M3 - AA ECU, AA Pulleys, AA Air Filter, AA Short Shifter - CURRENT
E92 335i - Vishnu V3, Exhaust, Intake, BOV, CDV Delete - SOLD
1991 850i Dinan Twin Turbo - SOLD

Health Forums
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #15
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
14
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 702

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to lvwirelessguy
I can see why some owners would rather wait for Dinan since they have only focused on BMWs and because you can go to your local dealer and have it installed and warrantied.

I think the work that Shiv has done has been phenomenal, but this is his first BMW product and anyone who buys the xede right now is basically a paying guinea pig for the most part
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
aris214
Private
Greece
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 1993 325i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado
ZHP = Performance package
ZCP = Competition package
thanks
__________________
1993 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
Backattack
Private First Class
1
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (Dec 13th)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Corona, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2000 M5  [0.00]
Beta Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy
I can see why some owners would rather wait for Dinan since they have only focused on BMWs and because you can go to your local dealer and have it installed and warrantied.

I think the work that Shiv has done has been phenomenal, but this is his first BMW product and anyone who buys the xede right now is basically a paying guinea pig for the most part
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #18
sflgator
Major General
sflgator's Avatar
81
Rep
5,389
Posts

 
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy
I can see why some owners would rather wait for Dinan since they have only focused on BMWs and because you can go to your local dealer and have it installed and warrantied.

I think the work that Shiv has done has been phenomenal, but this is his first BMW product and anyone who buys the xede right now is basically a paying guinea pig for the most part
I too can understand why some can/would wait for the Dinan 335i chip; however, timing is everything to others. Also, in regards to Shiv Vishnu's Xede and being 'guinea pigs,' I'd have to say yes and no...yes b/c Shiv only now just developed the Xede maps (and Xede integration) specifically for the BMW 335i (his first test car is his own 335i Coupe!) and no b/c Shiv's Xede product has been used for several years now on other FI turbo cars like the Mistu Evo/Subie WRX Sti, so the Xede itself is not a "new" product...it's been fully tested for years.
__________________

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 09:42 PM   #19
sflgator
Major General
sflgator's Avatar
81
Rep
5,389
Posts

 
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S.

iTrader: (1)

Just in case if a few of you are still skeptical, here is one of Shiv's latest posts (in another thread here)...

Hi guys,
Just a quick heads up. I'm up here in Canuck land tuning a couple of bone stock 335is. It's cold up here. But at least they have good gas (94oct, not the 91oct squirrel pee we get in California). So far, we just finished one car. It baselined at 269whp and 280lbfts of torque. After the Xede was installed and tuned, it made.. get ready for this...

330whp and 365lb-ft of torque

This was with the factory exhaust system. The only mod is the XEDE. Boost is 10-11psi. Dyno sheets to come soon (as soon as I get access to a scanner).

Another car is being strapped to the dyno right now. Gotta go...

Cheers,
shiv

OMG...this is with the Xede-only kit (Stage 0) and stock exhaust! Wait for Dinan if you want, but this can installed in your 335i NOW! :rocks:
__________________

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #20
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
14
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 702

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to lvwirelessguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
I too can understand why some can/would wait for the Dinan 335i chip; however, timing is everything to others. Also, in regards to Shiv Vishnu's Xede and being 'guinea pigs,' I'd have to say yes and no...yes b/c Shiv only now just developed the Xede maps (and Xede integration) specifically for the BMW 335i (his first test car is his own 335i Coupe!) and no b/c Shiv's Xede product has been used for several years now on other FI turbo cars like the Mistu Evo/Subie WRX Sti, so the Xede itself is not a "new" product...it's been fully tested for years.
No doubt Xede works wonders on various platforms, but I think most people here want to see how it works over the course of time on both the 335i Coupe & Sedan before they invest in this ( The 335i is not a boy racer like the STi or Evo ). I am very interested to see the feedback from Shiv's customers over the next few months
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #21
Fester
Major
Fester's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
1,129
Posts

 
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy
I can see why some owners would rather wait for Dinan since they have only focused on BMWs and because you can go to your local dealer and have it installed and warrantied.

I think the work that Shiv has done has been phenomenal, but this is his first BMW product and anyone who buys the xede right now is basically a paying guinea pig for the most part
+1- Righton bro
__________________
2013 911 4S ...GT Silver/Espresso custom build w/ lots of options and all alphabets soup!
2007 335i Coupe ...TiAg/Grey custom build...Sold!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #22
PresaMat
Major
PresaMat's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
1,170
Posts

 
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston,TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy
I can see why some owners would rather wait for Dinan since they have only focused on BMWs and because you can go to your local dealer and have it installed and warrantied.

I think the work that Shiv has done has been phenomenal, but this is his first BMW product and anyone who buys the xede right now is basically a paying guinea pig for the most part
Guess what... the first people buying Dinan will be the same. Hell the first people buying the 335i are doing the same. Dinan isnt doing much different... do you really think he has 100 cars that have his 335i kit on right now doing long term testing? No. He probably has barely started on it and the first people to buy it will most likely be the real testers. Would I like to get a mod that is 100% covered by warranty? Yes. But would it have the same performance as shiv's? Very unlikely. Do I want to pay 3K for something that doesnt give much of a performance boost? Personally no. $3k for the performance shiv is getting is OK. Now paying $3K for an extra 25-30RWHP that is covered by warranty? IMO i would rather stay stock.

No flames intended just my humble opinions.

Mat
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST