E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Highest Mileage 335d

05-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #23
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Which bloke? The OP?

Helen loads of 335d turbos have blown and 535d etc.. But generally speaking the 35d engine is bullit proof. So I wouldnt put someone off a 335d because a small minority have had turbo's die. Such a small percentage.

Same thing cant be said of the 335i unfortunately.
No, a rep I know lol.

Not trying to put him off at all, but nor do I think it's fair to carte blanche say any car is almost perfect, when none are. I think it's prudent to do your homework and the O/P was merely asking about known high mileage 35d's and I said I DO know of one that has covered a high mileage with no problems.

But one service manager in one dealership, in one part of the country automatically knew to order him some new turbos. This implies he has come across this fault before in his experience. You could also argue that he was providing good customer service by ensuring the fault is fixed as soon as possible so my mate can get back out on the road where he earns his bread and butter.

If I hadn't scrolled through the Audi forums, I wouldn't have known about the thrust clutch bearing issue. Because I did, two manual cars I test drove did indeed have that fault. The dealer would have sorted it as I obviously pointed it out to them lol. Audi were at first reluctant to acknowledge the fault but relented. Sounds familiar eh!

None of us will actually know the scale of the turbo failure because no employee is going to 'let the cat out of the bag'. Bit like the ECU failures when they changed from using Bosch. Some of our problem is we either know people in the car industry or read forums where info. is posted.

As I said, that is what a warranty is there for and you can't buy a car wondering 'what if' imo. Got to go with your gut instincts.
beemerbird is offline   England
      05-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Carl, just thought of a what would be a very good oil burner imho as an every day car for both fun and mile munching.

The 35d engine in an A5 with Audi's latest AWD system which is very good, BMW's idrive system which is also very good imo, Audi's build quality and interior but without their sometimes over priced optional extras. And no run-flats.
beemerbird is offline   England
      05-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #25
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
I do like the A5 shape, but I prefer the E92. I also prefer RWD.

Although the car you have concocted does sound good.

All turbo's will go at some point in a cars life. whether 10k or 200k. They dont last forever. The engine will outlast the turbo's

Good regular servicing with decent oil and letting them cool down will help them last longer.

Cant really go wrong with a mapped 335d.
      05-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #26
rsmallwo
Captain

Drives: 335d

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Hi mate,

Under the bonnet at the front, the is a red flexi boost hose. This comes away ever so slightly under load and a fine mist of oil is released and covers the hose. This then makes the hose become grimy and black. They can be re-seated with a new clip by a dealer but this is not a great solution as it will come away again as mine did.

You want the new hose and clip fitted! There is a PUMA case for this.
Oh bugger, I have this issue too, My red hose is covered in oil, I'm going to continue my gripe/questions on topic:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281232

Thanks for the info dxb335d