E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Coolant Hose Replacement N52

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Coolant Hose Replacement N52
Published by Efthreeoh
01-18-2014
Coolant Hose Replacement N52

This is a DIY for removal and replacement of the entire nine (9) hose set for the N52 engine in a 2006 325i. I would expect that this is applicable to both the 325i and 330i of 2006 model year and probably the 328i from 2007 on. The hose set I replaced was for a car without auxiliary heating; which I don’t think was offered as standard equipment nor as an option for USA market cars. There are a few more hoses in the set for cars with auxiliary heating, but the basic procedure is the same.

That said, if you do not plan on keeping your car for a long time and high mileage, you probably do not need to replace the hoses as preventative maintenance. I replaced my hoses at 7 ½ years and 236,000 miles and my hoses were a bit dry on the outside without any cracks or ozone damage and still pliable, and inside they all still looked very good.

This is not a DIY for a novice do-it-yourselfer. You need a lot of special tools and ideally have access to a two-post car lift. In my opinion it would be very difficult to do this DIY without the aid of a lift (you have to raise the car too many times; however, if you have time and are a masochist, you can probably do it without a lift. A note on tools: You need a good set of automotive repair tools with compete sets of ¼-drive, 3/8-drive and ½ drive sockets and extensions and flex-joints, torx sockets, E-Torx sockets, and metric wrenches. I’ve tried to list the special tools not common to what a normal DIY’er may have in his tool box.

Thanks to scotty_miller for some o-ring info.
Details in file below.
Tutorial Tools
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Coolant Hosereplacement.pdf (1.26 MB, 89 views)
By StealYourFace on 01-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Some job there, I would never have imagined so many hoses, what a pain.

I'm having the water pump done this week at 138,500 miles (I know, barely broken in ) and had my mechanic order the upper and lower hose to replace because I figured after all this time they would need to be done.

Did the radiator look ok?

I never would have figured all those hoses and radiator would last so long on a bmw, obviously a tremendous upgrade over previous generations.
By Efthreeoh on 01-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Some job there, I would never have imagined so many hoses, what a pain.

I'm having the water pump done this week at 138,500 miles (I know, barely broken in ) and had my mechanic order the upper and lower hose to replace because I figured after all this time they would need to be done.

Did the radiator look ok?

I never would have figured all those hoses and radiator would last so long on a bmw, obviously a tremendous upgrade over previous generations.
I left a pic at the end of the radiator. It's not leaking and seems still in good shape. I'm keeping an eye on it, but I think its go for awhile.
By StealYourFace on 01-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Nice, I saw the shroud of Berlin haha. Turner has a used n52 rad for cheap Im glad i didnt buy it.
Thanks again for the post
By Efthreeoh on 01-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Nice, I saw the shroud of Berlin haha. Turner has a used n52 rad for cheap Im glad i didnt buy it.
Thanks again for the post
You had left me a visitor message, so I could respond back directly (guess I should have left it on your page). Anyway, I'm bit concerned that I flexed the plastic side-tank a bit on the left side around the upper hose bib. The BMW hose connector design is really over engineered and unnecessary IMO.
By StealYourFace on 01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You had left me a visitor message, so I could respond back directly (guess I should have left it on your page). Anyway, I'm bit concerned that I flexed the plastic side-tank a bit on the left side around the upper hose bib. The BMW hose connector design is really over engineered and unnecessary IMO.
Over engineered bmw? Come on....

Has your car seen much road salt?

I bought my car from Texas used when it was 3 yr old, and it has had 5 winters since then. We have a great car was company here that has a monthly pass that allows you to wash as much as you want, and has an under spray that I use quite often, but the road salt in Buffalo has to have an effect on these parts regardless.
By Efthreeoh on 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Over engineered bmw? Come on....

Has your car seen much road salt?

I bought my car from Texas used when it was 3 yr old, and it has had 5 winters since then. We have a great car was company here that has a monthly pass that allows you to wash as much as you want, and has an under spray that I use quite often, but the road salt in Buffalo has to have an effect on these parts regardless.
Not much road salt. But I've had my F-150 in New England in the winter a few time and it's about eaten up by now.
Comment