E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i N54 - Question about Spark plugs



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-22-2017, 02:14 AM   #1
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

335i N54 - Question about Spark plugs

Hello,
I have to change my plugs, because I'm about 25k km since last change for OEM Bosch.
I'm looking for New one and I'm thinking about NGK 95770.
Is this good idea for my car? Now I have remapped ECU for ~390hp.
What gap set?
Thanks for Your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
LMB335IS's Avatar
United_States
334
Rep
1,628
Posts

Drives: 2013 LMB 335is
Join Date: May 2008
Location: FOB FL

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [4.42]
You can get the NGK but with just a tune it really doesn't matter. They're a little cheaper than the Bosch but don't last as long. Gap would be .022"
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
You can get the NGK but with just a tune it really doesn't matter. They're a little cheaper than the Bosch but don't last as long. Gap would be .022"
Well, I'll buy NGK. Because I'm thinking about: change pipe, intake, fmic, downpipe, and remap stage2.
Btw I've got slight rough idle.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
LMB335IS's Avatar
United_States
334
Rep
1,628
Posts

Drives: 2013 LMB 335is
Join Date: May 2008
Location: FOB FL

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [4.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by james4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
You can get the NGK but with just a tune it really doesn't matter. They're a little cheaper than the Bosch but don't last as long. Gap would be .022"
Well, I'll buy NGK. Because I'm thinking about: change pipe, intake, fmic, downpipe, and remap stage2.
Btw I've got slight rough idle.
How many miles/km and has it ever been blasted?
__________________

335is/DCT/MHD/BQ Tuning
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
How many miles/km and has it ever been blasted?
99k km @ 67k mls
What I've done:
Walnut blasting
New injectors #12 at 1st bank
New turbos
Remapped ECU_chiptuning
New HPFP
New software of ecu
New Oil and filters
I added techron to petrol(4th gear@4000rpm)
I changed spark plugs 25k km ago, for OEM Bosch, but problem is still here.
I read a few topics and there people write that they have a slight misfire at idle with NGK. Thats why I'm worry about NGK.

Last edited by james4321; 04-22-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
300
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4321 View Post
99k km @ 67k mls
What I've done:
Walnut blasting
New injectors #12 at 1st bank
New turbos
Remapped ECU_chiptuning
New HPFP
New software of ecu
New Oil and filters
I added techron to petrol(4th gear@4000rpm)
I changed spark plugs 25k km ago, for OEM Bosch, but problem is still here.
I read a few topics and there people write that they have a slight misfire at idle with NGK. Thats why I'm worry about NGK.
then get bosch.

at 25k, your current spark plugs are basically new. changing the spark plugs will almost certainly not solve your rough idle.

do you have any codes? does the car run fine on throttle?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
1665
Rep
41,589
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (36)

If the second bank of injectors are still old, that could be the issue.

Also, how old are the coils?

Also a bad valve cover (IE Cracked) can cause a funky idle - it's also a common thing to leak.

With relation to the valve cover, the PCV system is part of it and those parts can get clogged, causing issues.

It's likely not the spark plugs at this point. I'd make sure all your coils and injectors are new and fresh.

You can pull your spark plugs, check their condition and make sure the gap is still good and the plugs aren't fouled.
__________________
|Add to Cart Discounts & Loyalty Rewards||Evolution Racewerks||Active Autowerke||ETS| |Burger Tuning| |Fabspeed| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB 240W H8 Angel Eyes $99 | |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |MFactory| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|Coding / PPK / Alpina

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 04-22-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
If the second bank of injectors are still old, that could be the issue.

Also, how old are the coils?

Also a bad valve cover (IE Cracked) can cause a funky idle - it's also a common thing to leak.

With relation to the valve cover, the PCV system is part of it and those parts can get clogged, causing issues.

It's likely not the spark plugs at this point. I'd make sure all your coils and injectors are new and fresh.

You can pull your spark plugs, check their condition and make sure the gap is still good and the plugs aren't fouled.
Maybe You are right, because when I hard WOT at 4th,5th and 6th (3500_4000rpm) Gear I have slight hiccup. My guess is injectors at 2nd bank. I ordered three brand New injectors #12 and I'm waiting. I have no leak, almost zero Oil consumption (0,3-0,5qt for 10k km). Coils, I have no idea, but propably Coils was never replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
then get bosch.

at 25k, your current spark plugs are basically new. changing the spark plugs will almost certainly not solve your rough idle.

do you have any codes? does the car run fine on throttle?
^up
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
300
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4321 View Post
^up
you should not be going WOT at 3-4000RPM - no more then half throttle.

I would try WOT to 6000RPM+ in second or third gear and see if the hiccups still occur. it could be an injector. possible ignition coil but unlikely. so you have no codes right?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
1665
Rep
41,589
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4321 View Post
Maybe You are right, because when I hard WOT at 4th,5th and 6th (3500_4000rpm) Gear I have slight hiccup. My guess is injectors at 2nd bank. I ordered three brand New injectors #12 and I'm waiting. I have no leak, almost zero Oil consumption (0,3-0,5qt for 10k km). Coils, I have no idea, but propably Coils was never replaced.
May want to consider fresh coils too. I did all 6 plugs coils and injectors at the same time, it was night and day for idle, performance, response, ETC.

Keep the old coils for a rainy day.
__________________
|Add to Cart Discounts & Loyalty Rewards||Evolution Racewerks||Active Autowerke||ETS| |Burger Tuning| |Fabspeed| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB 240W H8 Angel Eyes $99 | |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |MFactory| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|Coding / PPK / Alpina
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
you should not be going WOT at 3-4000RPM - no more then half throttle.

I would try WOT to 6000RPM+ in second or third gear and see if the hiccups still occur. it could be an injector. possible ignition coil but unlikely. so you have no codes right?
1st, 2nd and 3rd is smooth. And almost all the Time 4th Gear is smooth to, but sometimes- once a week he's got a slight hiccup. Why I should not wot (wot is a 'hard acceletation/full throttle' , si? )
When the revs are more than 3700rpm car is smooth when hard pull and low throttle.
I have no codes. Car is starting Perfect, runs Perfect (Except 5,6 hard acceletation at 3-4000rpm)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #13
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
May want to consider fresh coils too. I did all 6 plugs coils and injectors at the same time, it was night and day for idle, performance, response, ETC.

Keep the old coils for a rainy day.
Your type is injectors and coils?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
300
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4321 View Post
1st, 2nd and 3rd is smooth. And almost all the Time 4th Gear is smooth to, but sometimes- once a week he's got a slight hiccup. Why I should not wot (wot is a 'hard acceletation/full throttle' , si? )
When the revs are more than 3700rpm car is smooth when hard pull and low throttle.
I have no codes. Car is starting Perfect, runs Perfect (Except 5,6 hard acceletation at 3-4000rpm)
I meant WOT throttle at 3-4000RPM is very likely why you are getting hiccups, because it is too much throttle for the RPM. this is why you are getting no hiccups at 5000RPM full throttle, but at 3-4000RPM more then half throttle is not necessary.

if your ignition coils work fine, it is stupid to change them. just be sure to change spark plugs every 100k KM and your coils will last.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
I meant WOT throttle at 3-4000RPM is very likely why you are getting hiccups, because it is too much throttle for the RPM. this is why you are getting no hiccups at 5000RPM full throttle, but at 3-4000RPM more then half throttle is not necessary.

if your ignition coils work fine, it is stupid to change them. just be sure to change spark plugs every 100k KM and your coils will last.
Okay, I didn't know that the wot at 3000-4000 is not suitable and can cause hiccups. I will do as you say, because when I give ~ 60-70% throttle everything is great. I don't know now whether to change these coils and injectors or not ...
Because I ordered 3 new injectors#12 for 2nd bank. But I can give it back- I paid for this 750$.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #16
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
300
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4321 View Post
Okay, I didn't know that the wot at 3000-4000 is not suitable and can cause hiccups. I will do as you say, because when I give ~ 60-70% throttle everything is great. I don't know now whether to change these coils and injectors or not ...
Because I ordered 3 new injectors#12 for 2nd bank. But I can give it back- I paid for this 750$.
yes, WOT at this RPM is most likely what causes the stuttering, because like you said gear 1,2,3 at WOT where the RPM's are higher there is no stuttering.. so your car is fine. I suggest you return the injectors and coils but be sure to change spark plugs.

Just keep in mind never to use more throttle then what the RPM's allow. it is best to slowly push into the pedal proportionate to RPM's as they rise. WOT is only suitable for 5000RPM+

good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #17
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
yes, WOT at this RPM is most likely what causes the stuttering, because like you said gear 1,2,3 at WOT where the RPM's are higher there is no stuttering.. so your car is fine. I suggest you return the injectors and coils but be sure to change spark plugs.

Just keep in mind never to use more throttle then what the RPM's allow. it is best to slowly push into the pedal proportionate to RPM's as they rise. WOT is only suitable for 5000RPM+

good luck
Thanks for Your help mate.
I'll change just spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #18
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
.....
hey guys, I'm gonna ask You about slight turbo whine when cold (<200F). it's really hard to noticeable when radio is on. when I turn off the radio, I can hear slight whine at 2000rpm. is that notmal? when engine is hot (>210F) it's almost nothing to hear.
Today I drived like You said, I gived my car more throttle, but no wot to 4000rpm and everything is Perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
....
^up
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #20
Griff500
Private
10
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Home

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
yes, WOT at this RPM is most likely what causes the stuttering, because like you said gear 1,2,3 at WOT where the RPM's are higher there is no stuttering.. so your car is fine. I suggest you return the injectors and coils but be sure to change spark plugs.

Just keep in mind never to use more throttle then what the RPM's allow. it is best to slowly push into the pedal proportionate to RPM's as they rise. WOT is only suitable for 5000RPM+

good luck
WOT is only suitable for 5000rpm+? This is a very strange statement - who told you that?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #21
james4321
Private
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 335i+
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff500 View Post
WOT is only suitable for 5000rpm+? This is a very strange statement - who told you that?
What about slight whine when cold?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
1665
Rep
41,589
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (36)

Rather not get into a debate but 3000 RPM WOT is not really an issue. It's a lot of load and heat but properly tuned it's perfectly fine. If it's done in 6th gear or 5th gear, I would not recommend it but 1-4 isn't near as much load in comparison.

In order to tune for the RPM range - 3rd gears pulls from around 2500RPM to Red Line (or ~6000 RPM on this platform) is the norm.

As far as turbo whine, sometimes it's normal, sometimes it's not.

Both my E92 335i have had turbo whine since day 1 without issue. If it continues to get louder and worse then it could indicate a problem with the turbo's.
__________________
|Add to Cart Discounts & Loyalty Rewards||Evolution Racewerks||Active Autowerke||ETS| |Burger Tuning| |Fabspeed| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB 240W H8 Angel Eyes $99 | |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |MFactory| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|Coding / PPK / Alpina
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST