E90Post

Alpine HID

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Warranty Issues After Clearing Codes - Heads Up!

05-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
WilliamE92
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 EB F30 335 MT

Warranty Issues After Clearing Codes - Heads Up!

So I took my car in a couple days ago after getting a series of long cranks for the past 3 months. Of course the "dealer couldnt replicate the problem" even though I showed them a video of my car doing a 3 second hesitant crank. So they kept the car for 2 days and "couldnt replicate it... but it wont leave you stranded so dont worry". Got the software update and everything.

ON THE SIDE - the SA said "off the record there - seems to be some tampering with codes, and when theres tampering with the codes it alerts BMW in Germany". His words not mine. He mentioned that should there be warranty issues in the future, I might have trouble getting coverage because of this.

So heres my history: Put a JB+ on last november, threw a 2D18 code at 75%. Took it off for a while and threw it back on in Feb, threw a 2D18 code at default settings. Took it off. Cleared ALL the codes, and have been running it without since I started getting the long cranks.

Took it in for its 15k service and now this.

Just a heads up - just because you have a code clearing tool doesnt mean you're safe anymore!

in before gotta pay to play etc.

Just a heads up guys.

As a sidenote, I have BMW assist and all the goodies. Practically every option in the book aside from the stupid ones.
      05-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i

Did you clear your shadow faults too? Just clearing regular fault codes will not clear any tuner faults in the shadow codes (using a BT tool that is).
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
      05-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

There has always been a rumor that BMW will shadow copy codes to a location that the dealer level technicians won't see. Which is why BMS has continued to keep their lower maps (JB3 1-5, JB+ default) from triggering detection codes at all instead of relying only on code deletion. Code deletion is just the backup. But this sounds more like a case of the dealer suspecting you but having no proof.

If/when BMW comes out with the new schema BMS and BT already have a plan. I suspect I'll be getting a lot of BT orders some day.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
      05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
WilliamE92
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Did you clear your shadow faults too? Just clearing regular fault codes will not clear any tuner faults in the shadow codes (using a BT tool that is).
All codes were cleared, including shadow faults
      05-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General

Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamE92 View Post
So I took my car in a couple days ago after getting a series of long cranks for the past 3 months. Of course the "dealer couldnt replicate the problem" even though I showed them a video of my car doing a 3 second hesitant crank. So they kept the car for 2 days and "couldnt replicate it... but it wont leave you stranded so dont worry". Got the software update and everything.

ON THE SIDE - the SA said "off the record there - seems to be some tampering with codes, and when theres tampering with the codes it alerts BMW in Germany". His words not mine. He mentioned that should there be warranty issues in the future, I might have trouble getting coverage because of this.

So heres my history: Put a JB+ on last november, threw a 2D18 code at 75%. Took it off for a while and threw it back on in Feb, threw a 2D18 code at default settings. Took it off. Cleared ALL the codes, and have been running it without since I started getting the long cranks.

Took it in for its 15k service and now this.

Just a heads up - just because you have a code clearing tool doesnt mean you're safe anymore!

in before gotta pay to play etc.

Just a heads up guys.

As a sidenote, I have BMW assist and all the goodies. Practically every option in the book aside from the stupid ones.
I can 2nd this experience, I went in for service about 3 months ago and the tech KNEW I was messing around with code clearing. After this they applied tamper proof paint to my ECU box....There is something else up with the BMW ECU we are not aware of.

Lucky for me, I found the paint they used and just re-apply everytime I go in for service

If anything the paint is a blessing in disguise, as they do a visual inspection on the outside and don't bother opening the ECU box.
      05-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
alpinedevil335
Lieutenant

Drives: Alpine White 335i

Smells like bull... Scare tactics.
396whp/389torque(JB31.3)
alpinedevil335 is offline   United_States
      05-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

wow serious where did they paint it at? and did they tell you they painted it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
I can 2nd this experience, I went in for service about 3 months ago and the tech KNEW I was messing around with code clearing. After this they applied tamper proof paint to my ECU box....There is something else up with the BMW ECU we are not aware of.

Lucky for me, I found the paint they used and just re-apply everytime I go in for service

If anything the paint is a blessing in disguise, as they do a visual inspection on the outside and don't bother opening the ECU box.
      05-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
BobS
Major

Drives: M3

interesting....+1 on finding out what paint they used....
      05-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
gimmes name
Private First Class

Drives: 335 E92, 335 E93, S550, CLS550

tamper proof paint? I've never heard of this. anyone else experience this???
      05-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
RambleJ
Colonel

Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 View Post
Smells like bull... Scare tactics.
+1 on this
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
      05-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Why doesn't BMW NA say that if you get your car serviced or maintained anywhere but the dealer your warranty is void? That is basically what they are saying through their actions. I know BMW is having financial difficulty and maybe the euro drop is a big issue for them? The service and maintenance center has always been a large portion of profits, they must hate it when people work on their own cars.

11/2008: BMW posts hefty quarterly loss: http://www.thelocal.de/money/20081104-15309.html

05/2009: BMW Posts Loss as Unit Sales Fall 21%: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124159218530691085.html

05/2010: BMW returns to profit, after 152 million Euro loss in 2010 - http://www.bucharestherald.com/econo...o-loss-in-2010

Maybe getting tighter on warranties has helped them return to profit. I might bet that cost cutting measures are going to be complained about in the newer model verisions once people see what was cut.
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
      05-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
joec500
Brigadier General

Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92murdered View Post
wow serious where did they paint it at? and did they tell you they painted it?

On the front Locking slider of my ECU box, as well as every single subconnector.

Any orange tamper proof paint will work.

05-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Where would even purchase something like that, like home depot? LOL
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      05-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
WilliamE92
First Lieutenant

I highly doubt they would have mentioned it unless they suspected something. Something must have set it off, and being able to send in tuner codes as they pop via BMW assist isnt really THAT far fetched.

They knew my car needed its 15k service before I even called them, so they called me at 13.9k miles and asked if I wanted to set up an appointment. Why couldn't they do the same with codes?

On the bright side after the update my car feels peppier and starts right up.
      05-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
From what I have observed all car makers are taking steps to determine ECU/TCU Mods/tampering.

I don't think this has anything to do with people working on their cars or having independent service shops work on the cars. The issue is no car maker is interested in paying warranty claims for a Modded vehicle, which IMO is quite reasonable. If I were a manufacturer I certainly wouldn't want to pay for warranty coverage on a product that someone had Modded, especially an ECU/TCU.
Good point, and I agree that having BMW assist does make it easier for them to see more about the car.

Good thing I dont have any options but sport
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      05-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #16
shochu75
Private First Class

Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Where would even purchase something like that, like home depot? LOL
+1, any answers?
      05-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
BzzzBom
Major

Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

I have had a completely different experience at my MINI / BMW dealership. I first heard about the benefit of tunes from the sales and repair people. Also, they have sold brand new cars with warranty which had already been highly modified. I even attended a party where these cars were showcased.
      05-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamE92 View Post
I highly doubt they would have mentioned it unless they suspected something. Something must have set it off, and being able to send in tuner codes as they pop via BMW assist isnt really THAT far fetched.

They knew my car needed its 15k service before I even called them, so they called me at 13.9k miles and asked if I wanted to set up an appointment. Why couldn't they do the same with codes?

On the bright side after the update my car feels peppier and starts right up.
The car alerts them through the BMW assist mechanism when it needs maintenance..."ET call home!"...maybe some BMW tech got a bright idea from the movie, who knows....
      05-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
cotmfk
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
From what I have observed all car makers are taking steps to determine ECU/TCU Mods/tampering.

I don't think this has anything to do with people working on their cars or having independent service shops work on the cars. The issue is no car maker is interested in paying warranty claims for a Modded vehicle, which IMO is quite reasonable. If I were a manufacturer I certainly wouldn't want to pay for warranty coverage on a product that someone had Modded, especially an ECU/TCU.
Completely agree. This wasn't really an issue in the past, because it seems more people mod their cars now. And more people also expect the dealer to fix it when something goes wrong. I waited until the warranty was done to mod. It all goes back to pay to play. If you mod, you have to accept the consequences.
      05-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
Morpheus
Captain

Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

I seem to recall a thread where a poster hinted that there was a counter in the ECU for code erases/flashes/something. Apparently there is a finite number the ecu will allow. Maybe they are able to look at this counter and see that it doesn't jive with your service records???
      05-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #21
luv135i
Captain

Drives: White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
+1 on this
+2 Maybe they are just throwing the bait out there to see if you bite. Worse case scenario deny deny deny and make them prove it.
      05-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #22
SMA335i
Private

Drives: 2012 BMW 550i

Anyone care to guess what BMW will do (if anything) on a least return if they found out that a tune was put in but no issues arose which needed to be fixed under warranty? I mean, do you think they will fine a person just because they somehow found out a tune was used or that codes were cleared? I hope the questions I am trying to ask make sense....
SMA335i is offline   United_States