E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > The Tune to End All Tunes



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #89
konradsa
Private
 
konradsa's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippinblkgold View Post
just got the pbx.....haven't installed it. now you go and tell me this. what do i do?!?
Lol... same here. I am probably still going to install the PBX on the weekend though, since with the PBX it seems less likely to void the warranty. Flashing the ECU just sounds too dangerous, and the BMW technician should definitely be able to see a code or something, even if you flash it back to stock again.
konradsa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #90
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
 
IancoleTX's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 3,041
iTrader: (13)

I badly want dyno sheets for a 325/328 6MT with a 330i intake manifold swap and this tune. Someone make it happen posthaste.
__________________
2011 135i 6MT - Alpine White / Savannah Beige
IancoleTX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #91
sippinblkgold
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 330i black 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alabama

Posts: 202
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by konradsa View Post
Lol... same here. I am probably still going to install the PBX on the weekend though, since with the PBX it seems less likely to void the warranty. Flashing the ECU just sounds too dangerous, and the BMW technician should definitely be able to see a code or something, even if you flash it back to stock again.
yeah. mine's going in saturday...can't wait.

this may be oversimplified or just plain wrong, but it seems to me that an engine can only have so much wrung out of it. i would be concerned about the longevity of the engine with anything more than what the pbx does.
sippinblkgold is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #92
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
I badly want dyno sheets for a 325/328 6MT with a 330i intake manifold swap and this tune. Someone make it happen posthaste.
Dude we are in the same situation!!! About to pull the trigger on the swap, but completely unsure of what to use as a tune. I'm not spending that much money (Three Stage) for an 8hp gain (without tune), or spend a bunch on an ok tune.
Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #93
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippinblkgold View Post
just got the pbx.....haven't installed it. now you go and tell me this. what do i do?!?
the PbX is a good product and might be enough for you, if you want more its always here. at least try it out id say, and then go from there.
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #94
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Dude we are in the same situation!!! About to pull the trigger on the swap, but completely unsure of what to use as a tune. I'm not spending that much money (Three Stage) for an 8hp gain (without tune), or spend a bunch on an ok tune.
ok guys, send me the parts, i will do the swap and dyno it, then send it back to whoever. that person will also get a special rate on the tune itself.
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #95
sippinblkgold
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 330i black 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alabama

Posts: 202
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
the PbX is a good product and might be enough for you, if you want more its always here. at least try it out id say, and then go from there.
you almost sound like a drug dealer when you say that

i'm always up for more, but i never like to be the first on the boat, ya know.
sippinblkgold is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #96
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippinblkgold View Post
you almost sound like a drug dealer when you say that

i'm always up for more, but i never like to be the first on the boat, ya know.
lol Drug addiction... Mod addiction? close enough

there are about 6 people running them so far including me
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #97
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
 
IB6UB9ok's Avatar
 
Drives: like I stole it
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 480
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Haha...yea, I'm addicted to modding too!

Craven, you were saying we can even have a map based on octane rating. Here up North we can fill up with 94 Octane at Sunoco. It's all I use in my 330i. What would the "universal" map be based on? Given there are so many 323i, 325i, 328i and 330i drivers out there, there's an indefinite number of combinations of mods. Say I added some octane boost to my gas for track weekend and I had a map for 94 octane, will the map max out based on 94 octane or ...I dunno. I don't really know how to put it...I guess that's why I'm asking and eagerly anticipating a final product for my 330i.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
lol Drug addiction... Mod addiction? close enough

there are about 6 people running them so far including me
__________________
BMS PBX/full OEM M-Tech/Perf SSK/Perf strut bar/Perf exhaust/Perf steering wheel/Perf CF trunk spoiler/Perf Handbrake lever/AFe Stage 2 intake/drilled front rotors/Stoptech slotted rear rotors/Hawk HPS pads/SS brake lines/Koni Yellows/H&R sport springs/Pilot Super Sports all around/PIAA angel eyes/matte black grills/CF splitters/20% tints all-around
IB6UB9ok is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #98
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Lol love the name..

The standard tune is based on 91 octane.

But a map can be tailored for a 93-94 octane, 100 octane, whatever, it will be an extra pony or two depending on the car. but i would think at a point out NA cars can only do so much with octane..

also I would try and find a race gas provider out there, dont use octane booster




Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6UB9ok View Post
Haha...yea, I'm addicted to modding too!

Craven, you were saying we can even have a map based on octane rating. Here up North we can fill up with 94 Octane at Sunoco. It's all I use in my 330i. What would the "universal" map be based on? Given there are so many 323i, 325i, 328i and 330i drivers out there, there's an indefinite number of combinations of mods. Say I added some octane boost to my gas for track weekend and I had a map for 94 octane, will the map max out based on 94 octane or ...I dunno. I don't really know how to put it...I guess that's why I'm asking and eagerly anticipating a final product for my 330i.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #99
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
 
lux.sh's Avatar
 
Drives: fast around corners.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Curves

Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post

10whp and 14wtq? with maximum difference of 15whp in mid-range? thats very impressive.
How many extra whp/wtq do you think you can pump out with an intake system?
I remember reading something about tuning specifically for 325/328/330 with intake if extra few horses are desired.

I can't wait to see the results on 330i. I wish I was in cali, I would let you guys keep my car for a week.
What is the speculated dyno release for 330i?
__________________
06 AW E90 330i ZPP/ZSP/Step/Expired Warranty

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :

Last edited by lux.sh; 05-07-2010 at 02:51 AM.
lux.sh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #100
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
 
IancoleTX's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 3,041
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
ok guys, send me the parts, i will do the swap and dyno it, then send it back to whoever. that person will also get a special rate on the tune itself.
Are you saying that if someone sent you all the parts for the swap, you would do the swap, dyno, remove and return parts in exchange for a "tester discount"? I think that is a pretty interesting proposition. I don't have the parts (yet) but Aonarch does.

Have you talked to Marcelo (E90Pilot) yet? He has done this swap on a 325i and is looking for a tune..
__________________
2011 135i 6MT - Alpine White / Savannah Beige
IancoleTX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #101
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
 
fnckr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Parsippany, NJ

Posts: 243
iTrader: (0)

Awaiting a tune and dyno for 330i here!!! I have 6mt, so just care about engine tuning, not transmission shift points, converter lock-up, etc. if it does that as well.

Someone explain the tune development process to me. I'm very experienced with tunes in my old Ford F-150 and there were guys out there that wrote some great tunes. It seems the only difference between them was how well they could interpret dyno data and come up with fuel/air ratios, throttle mapping, and torque converter lock-up. It was an art, really. Could those same guys write a tune for BMWs or is the software language different as well. Just wondering, because some of those guys did seemingly amazing things.
__________________
It's Funseeker! I'm all about the good times!
fnckr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #102
G35to330i
Private First Class
 
G35to330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by konradsa View Post
Lol... same here. I am probably still going to install the PBX on the weekend though, since with the PBX it seems less likely to void the warranty. Flashing the ECU just sounds too dangerous, and the BMW technician should definitely be able to see a code or something, even if you flash it back to stock again.
I ran a REVO flash on my old VW 1.8t, which, obviously I know is not an E90, however, the technicians never once figured it out since I reflashed it each time I went in for service. I would worry less about a flash tune (stick it in, turn it on) than the PBX install (fat finger something.... OOPS) and since I just installed my PBX I can say that it's not a big deal to do so.
__________________
2006 330i. Intake, PBX, iPhone + LiquidAUX + vent mount, LOC + JL10w1 + Rockford 250a2 (yeah, it's old)
Bethany: What gear are you in?
Jay: "Gear"?
G35to330i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #103
xxxjecxxx
Captain
 
xxxjecxxx's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 06 325i LCI
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 741
iTrader: (1)

What stops me from ordering the tune for the 330 and plugging it into my 325?
xxxjecxxx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #104
index1489
Lieutenant Colonel
 
index1489's Avatar
 
Drives: Out of warranty BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chino, CA

Posts: 1,915
iTrader: (6)

It not working right because its not a 330i
__________________
Gotta pay to play.
index1489 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #105
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Can't freaking wait for the 330i version and Dyno.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #106
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
10whp and 14wtq? with maximum difference of 15whp in mid-range? thats very impressive.
How many extra whp/wtq do you think you can pump out with an intake system?
I remember reading something about tuning specifically for 325/328/330 with intake if extra few horses are desired.

I can't wait to see the results on 330i. I wish I was in cali, I would let you guys keep my car for a week.
What is the speculated dyno release for 330i?
Yes it can be optimized to allow an intake (I have a few and will be installing them and running tunes fr them so we dont have a huge back up of map requests.)

once we get a local to come in with 330 you will have numbers for the dyno, out tester runs got deleted when the dyno computers hard drive went down, mine were on the new hard drive after the issue.

locals with a 330 PM me for a special rate on the tune we can re-dyno your car
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #107
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
Are you saying that if someone sent you all the parts for the swap, you would do the swap, dyno, remove and return parts in exchange for a "tester discount"? I think that is a pretty interesting proposition. I don't have the parts (yet) but Aonarch does.

Have you talked to Marcelo (E90Pilot) yet? He has done this swap on a 325i and is looking for a tune..
Exactly,
im not interested in keeping your parts, but for the sake of knowing I would test it and send the owner everything back, along with a discounted tune.

I did talk to e90Pilot, he is up state in Oakland but if he can make the drive down - I want to fix his car and get you guys a real solution with numbers - we will see.


xxxjecxxx:


and no a 330 tune will not work on a 325, good try though
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #108
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
 
Drives: 2011 SG e90 335d
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 3,221
iTrader: (11)

Send a message via Skype™ to koreez88
Goddammit someone come in with a 325i
koreez88 is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #109
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Goddammit someone come in with a 325i
We have it ready and available for the 325
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #110
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
 
IancoleTX's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 3,041
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
Exactly,
im not interested in keeping your parts, but for the sake of knowing I would test it and send the owner everything back, along with a discounted tune.

I did talk to e90Pilot, he is up state in Oakland but if he can make the drive down - I want to fix his car and get you guys a real solution with numbers - we will see.


xxxjecxxx:


and no a 330 tune will not work on a 325, good try though
Very interesting. Looking forward to numbers on the swap!
__________________
2011 135i 6MT - Alpine White / Savannah Beige
IancoleTX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST