E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

05-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #23
bosstones
Major
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post

WRT to the student that alluded to them not flying the Mexican flag on Independence Day.....there are plenty of Mexican flags flown daily in this country; including on Independence Day and Memorial Day. They do it out of Mexican pride but do not account for the history and traditions of the land they now live. I do not beget people having pride in their heritage but at some point they should realize that they are no longer in their ancestrial home and not colonizing a new land. If they are glad to be in the land of the free, why not respect the day that helped make it so?
      05-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #24
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post

WRT to the student that alluded to them not flying the Mexican flag on Independence Day.....there are plenty of Mexican flags flown daily in this country; including on Independence Day and Memorial Day. They do it out of Mexican pride but do not account for the history and traditions of the land they now live. I do not beget people having pride in their heritage but at some point they should realize that they are no longer in their ancestrial home and not colonizing a new land. If they are glad to be in the land of the free, why not respect the day that helped make it so?
Yay for rage about a 4 year old event!!
      05-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #25
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
There is a shelf life for reaction to an event?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #26
bosstones
Major
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
The post of the 4 year old event was put up 2 days ago and only got a 'mad smiley'.

The paragraph that followed the smiley was for the 8 day old event.
      05-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #27
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '06 e90

I'm not a "flag shirt" wearing kind of guy, but it doesn't bother me if someone else wants to wear one. The problem I have with this is, if you take issue with someone having patriotic pride, on the 4th of July, Cinco de Mayo, or any other day for that matter, find your way back to where you came from. Permanently. We didn't ask you to come be a part of our land. You chose to come here. If I moved to Mexico I wouldn't get offended to see people wearing Mexican flag shirts on the 4th of July. I'm sick of people getting offended over petty things. Suck it up, be an adult, and deal with it. This should never be grounds for a lawsuit.

/rant
      06-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

If you like Mexico so much that an American wearing and American flag T-shirt offends you maybe you should go back to Mexico. I don't understand why in the USA we place and importance on ANY other countries holidays except for noting them on the calander.

I always thought Cinco de Mayo was just an excuse to get bombed on $2 margaritas and pull out that studip, over-sized sombrero you got on a spring break trip to Cancun back in college. Anything more than that I don't give a sh^t b/c I live in the USA, not Mexico.

As for wearing the flag, from the way I read the posted rules then NO ONE should wear it. That would includes the military and all the cops and everyone else who tacks one on to whatever uniform they wear. Not only that, but 95% of them wear it wrong to include the Boy Scouts.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #29
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep

Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1911 View Post
If you like Mexico so much that an American wearing and American flag T-shirt offends you maybe you should go back to Mexico. I don't understand why in the USA we place and importance on ANY other countries holidays except for noting them on the calander.

I always thought Cinco de Mayo was just an excuse to get bombed on $2 margaritas and pull out that studip, over-sized sombrero you got on a spring break trip to Cancun back in college. Anything more than that I don't give a sh^t b/c I live in the USA, not Mexico.

As for wearing the flag, from the way I read the posted rules then NO ONE should wear it. That would includes the military and all the cops and everyone else who tacks one on to whatever uniform they wear. Not only that, but 95% of them wear it wrong to include the Boy Scouts.

You read it wrong:

Quote:

8. Respect for flag

j. No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
The boy scouts do it right. The police do it correctly as well. Those who wear a pin on their left lapel near the heart (e.g. politicians) do it right. Wearing flag bandanas, shirts, shorts, swimwear ,etc., is disrespectful to the flag imo, and is doing it wrong. You should not sit on the flag. You should not soak the flag with your sweat, and you certainly should not fart on the flag if you love what it stands for.
Appreciate 0