E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine overheat

12-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

Engine overheat

Few weeks back when I was driving back home i got 'engine overheat' warning in amber light and when I slowed down the warning went away.I pulled over and stopped for a while before driving another 10 mins to home with out issues. Car has been sitting in the garage from that time.Its a 2011 335xI copue with around 62K miles.

I never received the RED warning , which would made me believe it might be a water pump failure

Few questions

1) When I do a test to bleed the system mentioned in this video -
my water pump seems to be working

2) I don't see a red coolant stick which would indicate the coolant level. I see a yellow device marker as Max/Min . I put in some more coolant since it was below min.

When I start the car and let it sit there I dont see any warning

I am planning to take it for a drive now and see if the warning comes back. However I was wondering if there is anything I need to do to make sure everything is good?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Roma_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Could be a worning for water pump. My pump did the same thing. Pulled over and 5 minutes later same message, and no power, you press the gas but the car wont move. Had to replace pump. And it happened on a road trip in montana, driving from washington to minnesota.
VRSF CP & TIAL 50mm BOV
VTT silicone inlets
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
rhrigorjr
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335i xdrive coupe

my 335xi did the same thing I would get the msg from the Idrive screen and the car would loose power/limp mode, pulled on the side of the road for 2 mins engine off and start again and like nothing is wrong. I did the test on the youtube the one that u have to put the temp at high setting and I see the fluid bleeding.
I spoke to my local tech and he told me that my pump is dying, decided to changed it with a new thermostat also and she is running fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Get the car scanned with a BMW scan tool and check for water pump codes.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrigorjr View Post
my 335xi did the same thing I would get the msg from the Idrive screen and the car would loose power/limp mode, pulled on the side of the road for 2 mins engine off and start again and like nothing is wrong. I did the test on the youtube the one that u have to put the temp at high setting and I see the fluid bleeding.
I spoke to my local tech and he told me that my pump is dying, decided to changed it with a new thermostat also and she is running fine ever since.
Can you give me the name and # where you got it done ? How much did he charge you ?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
6IX-F10-N52
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i N52

make sure you check your coolant level when the car is cold, as this will show you the true coolant level. chances are you will still be low on coolant. you can top up with bottled water if it is an emergency (eg side of the road)

for starters, you can remove your plastic engine cover to help stabilize temps. I noticed a 50F drop in temps from removing it. next step would be to check for codes and inspect your cooling system.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
robthewrench
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

It's going to be a waterpump failure. Be ready, it will happen again. At just over 60K this is the time when they die (if not before this).
      12-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Billys325
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i

Hi Guys,

New here at this forum and new with BMW's in general!

I have an e90 325i N52B25 2005 model 2 days ago i was driving when the yellow and after 1 minute the red one warnings appeared, i stopped at the side of the road and waited 5 minutes (before the warning appears i got cold air from the clima) and then i switched the engine off and on again and monitored the cooling temp with torque which i connected and was 125 and started dropping to 80 when i started driving again. I drove 15km and then again cold air start coming out and cooling temp started raising again till the first warning. I moved again at the side of the road and waited 2-3 minutes switched engine off and on and again like the thermostat was stuck it started dropping the temp.

It didn't threw any cooling water out of the tank or any leaks at all..

Today i switched the engine on and noticed that instantly the radiator fan was working (and the outside temp is at 3-4 Celsius atm). Is this normal for a cold engine to start the radiator fan when you switch on the engine? And the fan was revving up and down was not steady with rpms.

Can this be a valve from radiator? Water pump? Thermostat?

The car not making any weird sounds (water pump)

Sorry for the long post! And happy holidays to everyone!