E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Decided on Dinan over Procede/JB3 -- childish to want the badge?

05-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #67
nirvanayoda
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 e92 M3

I'm still debating the Intercooler and Oil Cooler (and stage 3). This time not for the badge. I got a PM strongly recommending the IC because I live in Texas, which makes sense. Also, I plan on keeping this car for a *long* time, so wouldn't getting the upgraded cooling options keep my car in good health for much longer?
nirvanayoda is offline   United_States
      05-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #68
tomob63
Captain

Drives: 2009 335i

Send a message via AIM to tomob63
All this Dinan talk ticks me off.... I can't even find a dealer in a 50 mile radius who will even install it anymore. #1 dealer and my home base has officially stopped doing software or any bolt ons. That leaves the #2 dealer who only knows how to send the DME out to Dinan. Who wants to lock up your car for 4 days when you know it can be flashed locally at a competent dealer. Want this product so so bad and can't get it. DAMN
      05-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #69
nirvanayoda
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomob63 View Post
All this Dinan talk ticks me off.... I can't even find a dealer in a 50 mile radius who will even install it anymore. #1 dealer and my home base has officially stopped doing software or any bolt ons. That leaves the #2 dealer who only knows how to send the DME out to Dinan. Who wants to lock up your car for 4 days when you know it can be flashed locally at a competent dealer. Want this product so so bad and can't get it. DAMN
Have you tried independent shops? There are some around here (like Motorwerks) which can flash Dinan (or at least they used to be able to).
      05-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #70
roundel335
Brigadier General

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAP1 View Post
That mind set is a whole new world to me then.

If you don't care about performance. Why get a tune? Better yet, why pay (overpay) $4000 for a tune?
I didn't pay $4000 for a tune - where do you get that figure? Dinan Stage 2 was less than $1700 (on sale until end of May). Take a few minutes to get the facts before you start going off on an uninformed tangent. And if you haven't been able to comprehend why I (or any of the rest us Dinan-tuned owners) went that route, you need to go back and re-read. It's about quality, not quantity.

Also, where do you get that I don't care about performance? I care about performance, but I'm not addicted to it to the point where I have to know if I'm 2/10ths of a second quicker or slower than Joe Piggyback or can lap the track a second or two faster or slower. I just like the increased performance, and I'm not out there trying to compete with everyone else. Does that clarify things for you?

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
      05-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #71
roundel335
Brigadier General

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
You are aware that there are plenty of independent BMW shops that can do it for you, right? Go to Dinan's website and they should be able to locate a shop in your area.

Sure glad I don't live in Chi-Town! Sorry to hear the dealers are being so dense there.

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
      05-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #72
tomob63
Captain

Drives: 2009 335i

Send a message via AIM to tomob63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Have you tried independent shops? There are some around here (like Motorwerks) which can flash Dinan (or at least they used to be able to).

Dinan site only shows 2 dealers and 1 independent in IL now. I can call the Independent, but it really scared me off on just how much the 2 very reputable dealers didn't want to deal with Dinan, their reps or their product. My car is a CPO w/ 25k miles. No stock oil cooler and wanted to at least get in on the sale. They've extended it, so I have another two weeks to S$%t or get off the pot I guess, but it will be w/o dealer support. I wasn't all that thrilled anyway about the minimal gains (30hp) I'd get from Stage 1 anyway. Currently working on getting all of the parts together for an oil cooler retrofit. Cheers.
      05-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #73
mkaaes
Lieutenant

Drives: 997.2 C4S

I was talking to my local dinan dealer tech and he basically told me unless I was really tracking the car or a "stop light racer" ie pedal smashing stop light to stop light the factory ic is fine. With normal air flow the ic has no problem with heat soak.
      05-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #74
GaryS
Colonel

Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Quote:
That leaves the #2 dealer who only knows how to send the DME out to Dinan. Who wants to lock up your car for 4 days
Driving a 328i for 3 or 4 days is the end of the world?

My SA gave me a loaner while he shipped my chip to Dinan because I was "due for a brake flush."

Due for a brake flush at 10 months?
      05-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #75
UAP1
www.UltimateAutoPortal.co m

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i. Few mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I didn't pay $4000 for a tune - where do you get that figure? Dinan Stage 2 was less than $1700 (on sale until end of May). Take a few minutes to get the facts before you start going off on an uninformed tangent. And if you haven't been able to comprehend why I (or any of the rest us Dinan-tuned owners) went that route, you need to go back and re-read. It's about quality, not quantity.

Also, where do you get that I don't care about performance? I care about performance, but I'm not addicted to it to the point where I have to know if I'm 2/10ths of a second quicker or slower than Joe Piggyback or can lap the track a second or two faster or slower. I just like the increased performance, and I'm not out there trying to compete with everyone else. Does that clarify things for you?

Actually, I got you and the op mixed up. I was referring to the price they were throwing around $4000 with the additional mods and tune. My mistake.

On to the other subjects....

Are you sensative or something? I wasn't on a tangent. I was asking a question.

You jumping to conclusions and getting defensive only tells me that your statements that "you don't care" ect ect ect...only confirms that you do.

You know, like the person that always tells you how religious or honest they are...
UAP1 is offline   United_States
      05-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #76
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post

It sounds like you like making excuses to be slower.

Tell me this...

If the DME controls ignition more or less on all tunes, and the DME controls A/F more or less, and both tunes can run the same boost, what part of quality does dinan offer over joe shmoe tune?

Throttle response and driveability are the only thing to distinguish tunes and bells and whistles.

Don't even respond to this.... I already know what your answer is going to be. An over-elaborate excuse to make us think Dinan is prestigious and slower thats why you do it. As I said in this thread or another, I dont give a sh*t if mickey mouse made the tune.... does it work for my needs and my car and I find value in the price... Yes... Done.

You want to spend 3x more money on a tune and it helps you sleep at night, good for you. Just dont preach like its the best thing since sliced bread, and if you arent, then good we are on the same page after all.

But here is the problem with your post, you buy mods, and know there are faster options, yet you say you care about performance....

Now its one thing for someone to say, I know there are faster options, but they are more expensive thats why I dont buy them fine...

But you bought the more expensive slower option..... but you care about performance, thats why you bought the slower one?

Ugh

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 05-13-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      05-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #77
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post

Tell me this...

If the DME controls ignition more or less on all tunes, and the DME controls A/F more or less, and both tunes can run the same boost, what part of quality does dinan offer over joe shmoe tune?

Throttle response and driveability are the only thing to distinguish tunes and bells and whistles.

Don't even respond to this.... I already know what your answer is going to be. An over-elaborate excuse to make us think Dinan is prestigious and slower thats why you do it. As I said in this thread or another, I dont give a sh*t if mickey mouse made the tune.... does it work for my needs and my car and I find value in the price... Yes... Done.

You want to spend 3x more money on a tune and it helps you sleep at night, good for you. Just dont preach like its the best thing since sliced bread, and if you arent, then good we are on the same page after all.

very well put. Some people love Dinan for the warranty....just like Tommy Boy said, 'I can take a shit in a box if you want me to and put a warranty on it"
      05-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #78
ridin135
Colonel

Drives: 991 C2S & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM135i View Post
If money is your issue then why go with the Concede over the JB3?
I have both but I personally like the procede more.
      05-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #79
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Skype™ to Sal Collaziano
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Haha. $120. You can buy the individual letters from Bimmian for $2.80 each.

http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/bimm...om/BI-BE39-CBL
I just got mine for $19.00... If I stick this on my car, I'm going to terrorize all the piggybackers who think I'm running Dinan.

2000 Audi S4, APR Stage 3+
Sal's Blog of Nothing (something to offend everyone)
Sal Collaziano is offline   United_States
      05-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #80
nirvanayoda
Second Lieutenant

Ugh, so they called to tell me I have to replace my 2 right tires because they have bubbles. $1k more down the drain. Actually, I'm just going to replace all 4 because I have 20k miles, so more like $2k more. Anyone know a place to get stock runflats cheap?
      05-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #81
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
You'd do some good replacing runflats with a better less expensive conventional tire
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
      05-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #82
nirvanayoda
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
You'd do some good replacing runflats with a better less expensive conventional tire
Agreed! Except then I wouldn't have a spare. I've had many issues with the runflats, but at least they "run flat"
      05-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #83
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Agreed! Except then I wouldn't have a spare. I've had many issues with the runflats, but at least they "run flat"

ditch the runflats please!!!!

get a continental mobility kit from tirerack
      05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #84
mkaaes
Lieutenant

Drives: 997.2 C4S

A quote by road&track from oct 17 2008

Key to the transformation was Dinan's cracking the encryption of BMW's engine-management computers — a process that has taken years, a brain trust of software personnel and copious infusions of cash. Less determined competitors have either folded under the strain or simply reverted to piggyback engine controllers.
      05-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #85
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaaes View Post
A quote by road&track from oct 17 2008

Key to the transformation was Dinan's cracking the encryption of BMW's engine-management computers — a process that has taken years, a brain trust of software personnel and copious infusions of cash. Less determined competitors have either folded under the strain or simply reverted to piggyback engine controllers.

thanks for the 2 year old quote from a less than biased source. Well done.

lets get Road and Track to do an honest test on a Dinan software tuned car vs a Procede or JB3 car on the track and on the street and we'll see what they say. it wont be pretty for the Dinan......
      05-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #86
M4TW
///M Uber Alles

Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone View Post
It definitely doesn't smell good, unless you like the scent of a lawnmower.

I can't smell it in the cabin with the windows down, though, so only you would smell it as I drop 3rd gear and put some car lengths on ya.

Truth be told, I like the smell of lawnmower. So cats off to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post

Tell me this...

But here is the problem with your post, you buy mods, and know there are faster options, yet you say you care about performance....

Now its one thing for someone to say, I know there are faster options, but they are more expensive thats why I dont buy them fine...

But you bought the more expensive slower option..... but you care about performance, thats why you bought the slower one?

Ugh
You need to confront your anti-Dinan biases. Steve Dinan has posted an informative "white paper" on safety strategies in tuning the N54 engine that you should consider reading (if you care about having an informed opinion about the issue):

http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File...%20revised.pdf

The maximum boost that you'll see out of a Dinan tune is 14 psi. Also it does tapper quite a bit after 6,000 rpm. That's why I still aim my shift points at 6,200. The reason is uncle Steve doesn't want use spinning our turbos that fast or cooking our engines. That's his call. He's the one backstopping BMW's warranty.

That said, the piggybacks have come along way. We aren't hearing any reports of blown turbos or cooked engines, so these engines are perhaps tougher than Steve may think. You can accuse Dinan of being too conservative, but you won't be hearing it from me. Once again, he's making the bet and I plan on keeping my car a long time.

I can say, if you care at all, that I'm getting very smooth linear power up to 6,000. I've also have had no hassles from my non-Dinan dealer about my tune, nor have my tune and supporting mods given me any problems. I've sunk a lot into it no doubt, but I do enjoy the instant ON smooth power.

The last time I went to the track I lined up twice against a new Camero SS with some performance mods and PNY KLR for plates. I beat him both times by a couple of car lengths. I also had someone asking me if my car was a special edition with a V-12 or something. That's what it's about, not trying to beat up on your fellow 335 bros.

So happy hunting (Cameros and such, not 335's) and enjoy your ride!
      05-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #87
Garissimo
Captain

Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post

BTW, someone said something earlier about all the problems with JB and Procede cars. There is a very simple answer to that. There are a LOT more cars out there that are using those products over Dinan.
You are quite misinformed. Dinan was averaging 200 flashes a month in mid 2008. It's now mid 2010. Do the math. As far as the problems go, the simple answer is that Shiv and Terry are basically using their customer base as beta testers, and, they're starting from an inherent disadvantage from a system design perspective. Half the job of their piggybacks is to keep an ECU - that gets firmware updates from BMW on a regular basis - from throwing codes or going into limp mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
In closing, I will leave you with a funny but true exchange from the movie "Tommy Boy".
Yeah, that was funny 10 years ago.
      05-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #88
AltecBX
Colonel

Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan

IMO, this is all BS. Dinan doesn't run boost above 14psi. Set the Procede and JB3 to not boost over 14psi and call it a day. Most problem that occur are users experimenting at those higher boost level without the supporting modes or right fuel octane. GIAC even sets you up a different flash map for a higher octane level.

On the warranty side, why would anyone offer warranty other than their product. I won't sell you a keyboard and tell you if anything happens with your computer I will replace that too. I agree with the above post on the Tommy Boy movie reference. Most customers who are buying a Dinan tune, are comfortable with the warranty they offer and not the tune, as there are other cheaper alternatives. On what a flash company does a month is irrelevant of what tune is better. All that number shows is how many customers are more comfortable with a warranty.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
AltecBX is offline   United_States