E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Ipod



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Z4 Beemer's Avatar
Scotland
34
Rep
2,353
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
Ipod

Ok, apologies if this info is on here somewhere... but what bits do I need to connect my Ipod Nano to the car? How much is the connector likely to cost, and will my local Parts Dept be able to sell... or can I buy it somewhere else? Am I right in saying the connector port is in the compartment between the front seats? The Nano should be able to connect shouldn't it?? Sorry for all the questions, its been a looooooooooooong day

Any advice welcome.

Z4B
__________________
E89 Z4 sDrive 23i... for the more discerning driver
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
rayb
Enlisted Member
rayb's Avatar
England
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

If you lift the arm rest there's an Aux connector and power supply. You can connect your ipod using a phono connector. It's not great, but it works. You can get the phono connector and power cable off ebay.
The full ipod connector kit costs around £180 to £250 and lets you select playlists through the controls on the steering wheel.
__________________
335i Coupe - Sparkling Graphite/Dakota Black Leather/Brushed Aluminum/19 inch 230's/Sunroof/Heated Seats/High Beam Assist/Bluetooth/10 spkr HiFi/Adaptive headlights.
Mini Cooper R56 - Astro Black
Caterham Roadsport - being built for summer 2007

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Z4 Beemer's Avatar
Scotland
34
Rep
2,353
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
£180 to £250 for the proper ipod connector!! - to be honest that was the part I was originally thinking about since it lets you use the steering wheel controls. I think I might try the phono connector to start with and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.
__________________
E89 Z4 sDrive 23i... for the more discerning driver
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
112
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer
£180 to £250 for the proper ipod connector!! - to be honest that was the part I was originally thinking about since it lets you use the steering wheel controls. I think I might try the phono connector to start with and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.
You can get the phono lead (3.5mm jack male to male stereo cable) from B&Q for a couple of quid (and probably most hifi stores).

Since you have a 'dock connector' on your nano - you can use it to get true 'line out' sound bypassing the ipods puny pre-amp (really only designed for headphone use) and charge your ipod at the same time.

This is the best one - avoid anything by Belkin:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=120584

The little cupholder in the armrest has a slot cut into it. My 30gig ipod video sits neatly in there.

If I want to select different tracks I usually just pull it out and leave it on the passenger seat.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
129
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I've got the belkin lead for mine. Was about £20 and plays through the hifi brilliantly. Check out my photos (not great quality but shows you). My nano sits on my handbrake perfectly to change tracks!
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
ShereKhan
Captain
ShereKhan's Avatar
United Kingdom
14
Rep
995
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi SE
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bristol, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayb
If you lift the arm rest there's an Aux connector and power supply. You can connect your ipod using a phono connector. It's not great, but it works. You can get the phono connector and power cable off ebay.
The full ipod connector kit costs around £180 to £250 and lets you select playlists through the controls on the steering wheel.
Where can I get the connector kit for £180 and how easy it to fit and remove (lease car!). I have just got two 80Gb iPods (I have ripped my entire CD collection as lossless - in process of doing Vinyl now). So i'd love to have steering wheel control.

I seen something on the BMW website about an adapter for the glovebox. But the BMW customer services have told me that that I can't change tracks or see track names on the stereo!

So I didn't chase it any further after that.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
sterogers
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: E91 330d SE
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

There is a good thread - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30079

The retrofit kit doc is also posted on the forums. If you do a search for MOST IPOD there are loads of posts/info.
__________________
E91 330d SE - Sparkling Graphite/Black Dakota/Auto/Aluminium Trim/Front Seat Heating/Full Electric Sports Seats/Anthracite Headliner/Comfort Access/Xenons/Bluetooth/USB Audio/Double Spoke 161's
(Previously, E92 335d SE - sob sob as we had to part)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #8
rayb
Enlisted Member
rayb's Avatar
England
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
You can get the phono lead (3.5mm jack male to male stereo cable) from B&Q for a couple of quid (and probably most hifi stores).

Since you have a 'dock connector' on your nano - you can use it to get true 'line out' sound bypassing the ipods puny pre-amp (really only designed for headphone use) and charge your ipod at the same time.

This is the best one - avoid anything by Belkin:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=120584

The little cupholder in the armrest has a slot cut into it. My 30gig ipod video sits neatly in there.

If I want to select different tracks I usually just pull it out and leave it on the passenger seat.
Hadn't seen that before so I've ordered one and will give it a try.
__________________
335i Coupe - Sparkling Graphite/Dakota Black Leather/Brushed Aluminum/19 inch 230's/Sunroof/Heated Seats/High Beam Assist/Bluetooth/10 spkr HiFi/Adaptive headlights.
Mini Cooper R56 - Astro Black
Caterham Roadsport - being built for summer 2007

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 03:44 AM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Z4 Beemer's Avatar
Scotland
34
Rep
2,353
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
rayb - Let us know how you get on with this.
__________________
E89 Z4 sDrive 23i... for the more discerning driver
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #10
MarkA
Resident Nürburgring Junkie
Scotland
6
Rep
195
Posts

 
Drives: 320Si
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

After a long wait, my ipod most kit will be fitted tomorrow In a few weeks I'll be visiting my parents in Stirling.. so we could also meet up for you to see the results of the installation...
__________________
2006 320Si 6MT, Titansilber, M-Sport Pack, 18'' Si Wheels, Anthracite headlining, Blue shadow Alcantara, Shadowline Exterior Trim, Si Alum Interior Trim, PDC, Voice Control, Pro Nav, iDrive, Blacklines, Light/Rain Sensor, Auto Aircon, iPod Integration, Bluetooth integration, BMW Alarm.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
rayb
Enlisted Member
rayb's Avatar
England
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer
rayb - Let us know how you get on with this.
Will do. Ordered last night so should be with me for the weekend.
__________________
335i Coupe - Sparkling Graphite/Dakota Black Leather/Brushed Aluminum/19 inch 230's/Sunroof/Heated Seats/High Beam Assist/Bluetooth/10 spkr HiFi/Adaptive headlights.
Mini Cooper R56 - Astro Black
Caterham Roadsport - being built for summer 2007

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
Gumph
New Member
Gumph's Avatar
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: 320d M Sport Tourer
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Derby

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayb
If you lift the arm rest there's an Aux connector and power supply. You can connect your ipod using a phono connector. It's not great, but it works. You can get the phono connector and power cable off ebay.
The full ipod connector kit costs around £180 to £250 and lets you select playlists through the controls on the steering wheel.
Does the 'proper' BMW ipod kit let you scroll through ALL your playlists or just the first 6? I have heard that some connectors act like a fake CD changer and you only get access to the first six playlists.

Does it show the track/artist name on the stereo?

thanks for any advice on this
G
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #13
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
112
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty
I've got the belkin lead for mine. Was about £20 and plays through the hifi brilliantly. Check out my photos (not great quality but shows you). My nano sits on my handbrake perfectly to change tracks!
Interesting ... do you just rest the ipod on the handbrake ... or have you put some velcro or something on it ????
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 08:21 AM   #14
rayb
Enlisted Member
rayb's Avatar
England
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Z4 Beemer - Finally got the Monster ipod cable. Works well and the sound quality seems great. You also need a phono to phono cable to go with it. Unless you want to spend £200 on the BMW version then it's a great solution.
BTW - took me a while to get the cable. I ordered the first one from ebay and the seller hadn't responded after a week, when I emailed them they said they wouldn't have it in stock for 2 weeks. Not acceptable for a "buy it now" sale. Finally got one from Amazon.
__________________
335i Coupe - Sparkling Graphite/Dakota Black Leather/Brushed Aluminum/19 inch 230's/Sunroof/Heated Seats/High Beam Assist/Bluetooth/10 spkr HiFi/Adaptive headlights.
Mini Cooper R56 - Astro Black
Caterham Roadsport - being built for summer 2007

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Z4 Beemer's Avatar
Scotland
34
Rep
2,353
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
Thanks for this info rayb. I'll look into this over Christmas, but the cable you suggest certainly seems the best value for money, and does the job.
__________________
E89 Z4 sDrive 23i... for the more discerning driver
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #16
MarcusCatterall
New Member
England
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

My local dealer originally quoted £295 for the OEM BMW iPod connector including fitting.
I received a call from them today saying that the price is now £535 for this because of a new upgraded model, with new features, although he didn't know what these new "features" were.

Are these prices normal, or I am being ripped off here?
Anyone had the oem connector installed, experiences?

Cheers,
Marcus
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #17
ibd12nv
Chief Warrant Officer 4
ibd12nv's Avatar
6
Rep
661
Posts

 
Drives: 335I, X5 4.8i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the US

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
That does not sound right to me. A friend of mine mine got his installed a month ago for 300 US Dollars. I would go to another dealer or wait until he atleast knows what he is talking about.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
the_oracle1980
Private
1
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Hi needforspeed

Have you had bad experiences with Belkin?, I have a Belkin one and didnt think it was too bad till you mentioned it, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 04:21 AM   #19
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
129
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Interesting ... do you just rest the ipod on the handbrake ... or have you put some velcro or something on it ????
I've got a nano which is small and so it sits on the handbrake perfectly without sliding off. The leather of the handbrake holds it quite snuggly. Remember the handbrake is mostly fully horizontal when you are driving and not pulled up as in my photos earlier, so it just rests on the bit behind the handbrake handle. Plus the Belkin lead only just peaks out of the centre armrest so its taught and firm also helping to keep the nano in place. You will see the set-up in my earlier photos. Works great
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 04:23 AM   #20
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
129
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_oracle1980 View Post
Hi needforspeed

Have you had bad experiences with Belkin?, I have a Belkin one and didnt think it was too bad till you mentioned it, lol.

I've had the Belkin lead for well over a year and not had any problems. I think its great!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 05:03 AM   #21
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
112
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_oracle1980 View Post
Hi needforspeed

Have you had bad experiences with Belkin?, I have a Belkin one and didnt think it was too bad till you mentioned it, lol.
The dock connector provides a pure 'line-out' from your ipod. This is an unamplified signal, so the quality is as good as it is possible to get.

The Belkin cable is not a proper 'line out'. It has a pre-amp built in which boosts the signal and in doing so it damages the signal quality.

In effect you may as well just plug the cable into the headphone port on the ipod. In fact as the ipod's pre-amp is better than the Belkin one you would be better of doing this.

The differences are much more subtle in the e90 than in my 530d (the retro-fit aux input for the e60 is not great), but the Monster still sounds better.

I wouldn't suggest that you rush out and replace your cable, but if you are buying one for the first time I would recommend the monster one.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 05:38 AM   #22
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
129
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The dock connector provides a pure 'line-out' from your ipod. This is an unamplified signal, so the quality is as good as it is possible to get.

The Belkin cable is not a proper 'line out'. It has a pre-amp built in which boosts the signal and in doing so it damages the signal quality.

In effect you may as well just plug the cable into the headphone port on the ipod. In fact as the ipod's pre-amp is better than the Belkin one you would be better of doing this.

The differences are much more subtle in the e90 than in my 530d (the retro-fit aux input for the e60 is not great), but the Monster still sounds better.

I wouldn't suggest that you rush out and replace your cable, but if you are buying one for the first time I would recommend the monster one.
NFS - very good explanation on the cables. I'm going to look into the Monster one. Do you just plug the Monster cable into your armrest then and use a separate cable for the aux in? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST