E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bad JB4 Board?

03-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Drives: 09 335i Sedan, 6AT

Bad JB4 Board?

Sad to say I got what looks to be a bad JB4 board
Bought a JB4 G5 ISO from a local member in this forum. From pictures, the packaging, everything looked great! Fast shipping as well. Now…
I bought this 2 weeks ago and was able to install it this past Saturday, it was raining hard and well had no time before it.
Fast forward Saturday, my brother helped me installed it, he had a JB2 and JB3 before with no problems. Also ran thru the PDF install to make sure everything was perfectly fine, it was a success… or so we thought…. Car would turn on but sounded VERY weird, engine was making a lot of noise, got a SES, car malfunction, it was just bad. The first day of installation, I had a low battery so I thought that was the case, I made a thread about it. Battery was charged, had no more low battery, etc warnings anymore.

Took off the JB4, car started up perfectly fine, no codes, no engine malfunction, nothing. I double checked the harness, pins are all straight and nothing out of the ordinary. Put it back on one more time, SES, same problems. Got two codes, 2FBE & 2ABD. Took off the JB4 again, no codes. I opened up the JB4 board and to me it didn't look right. Look at the pics, it looks like there's an area where something was spilled or it was burned.

Now, im waiting for the seller to give a response on it but he hasn't replied or been on since 3/4/14. I gave him a +1 on the iTrader, it was my mistake... Shipping was fast, fast communication at the time, and well the product was well packaged. Is there anything else I can do? My only option from what it looks like is to buy a new Jb4 board…

Here's the selling post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950376

Last edited by Bluesnake01; 03-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.
      03-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
derryck
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

I purchased a used Procede v3 from a local forum member when I purchased my E92 and after installation the car would pull hard and then cut out sporadically. It was a bit scary as the car would completely lose power for a fraction of a second. I double checked all connections and the installation process but still had issues. Turns out this is the reason the previous owner sold it only he wasn't forthcoming with that information. Fortunately Vishnu replaced the box free of charge and all issues were resolved with the replacement. Some people are just shady but Karma has a way of evening things out in the end. Good luck on a speedy resolution.
derryck is offline   United_States
      03-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
I purchased a used Procede v3 from a local forum member when I purchased my E92 and after installation the car would pull hard and then cut out sporadically. It was a bit scary as the car would completely lose power for a fraction of a second. I double checked all connections and the installation process but still had issues. Turns out this is the reason the previous owner sold it only he wasn't forthcoming with that information. Fortunately Vishnu replaced the box free of charge and all issues were resolved with the replacement. Some people are just shady but Karma has a way of evening things out in the end. Good luck on a speedy resolution.
Thanks, the seller didnt mention anything either on my case. It would have saved me the trouble if he had mentioned something about it. Good to see Vishnu came thru on your case
      03-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
shadow191
Captain

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

Well, he did say he took it off because it was throwing codes. Obviously the way it was worded made it sound like a turbo issue.
      03-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Well, he did say he took it off because it was throwing codes. Obviously the way it was worded made it sound like a turbo issue.
He did say he had a bunch of crap replaced though which has nothing to do with the symptoms I get since the car wont move. It turns on with a horrible idle and turns off right after by itself. It only gets 2 codes which are the one's I posted. Taking it off, the car drives as smooth as a butter again and I receive no codes.
I should have been more cautious about it though but he could've at least mentioned about the board and/or sold it for a lot cheaper, paid $350 which seems to be the avg for a GOOD used JB4.
      03-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
shadow191
Captain

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

Agreed, he should have checked it before selling. With electronics, you never know. Sorry this happened, maybe he'll help you out if it was an honest mistake.
      03-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

He replied to me and told me to check the firmware on the JB4. Said he had the same symptoms before the firmware update. Can the firmware revert itself to the original one? He told me he had it off the car for months. Hopefully this gets fixed, not making full assumptions just yet…….
      03-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
BMDoublYou
First Lieutenant

Drives: CCCXXXV

Post this on N54tech, Terry@BMS regularly visits and posts on those boards, perhaps he can lend a helping hand or push you in the right direction! Enjoy the car when you get it running perfectly!
      03-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Yeah I e-mailed Terry about it as well. Said it could be a faulty board but im still gonna check the firmware on it. Seller is responding back, so we're making some progress. Glad to see we're going somewhere and he's being helpful about it. Hopefully it is the firmware, would make things a lot easier for both parties.
      03-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Maestro
Captain

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

What you see on the board is solder paste/flux residual, it appears the board was not clean when it was originally manufacture. I am not saying the board is not damaged, but what you are seeing is not unusual.
      03-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
RaceTruk
Lieutenant

Drives: X5 35xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake01 View Post
Yeah I e-mailed Terry about it as well. Said it could be a faulty board but im still gonna check the firmware on it. Seller is responding back, so we're making some progress. Glad to see we're going somewhere and he's being helpful about it. Hopefully it is the firmware, would make things a lot easier for both parties.
what map were you in?
if it was map 0 and this happened, the board is Fucked.

maybe you perhaps installed the 2 smaller subconnectors in the opposite places?
      03-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
What you see on the board is solder paste/flux residual, it appears the board was not clean when it was originally manufacture. I am not saying the board is not damaged, but what you are seeing is not unusual.
Ahhh ok, well hopefully it is! 4 more hours to go to troubleshoot it. Crossing my fingers that its just the firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
what map were you in?
if it was map 0 and this happened, the board is Fucked.

maybe you perhaps installed the 2 smaller subconnectors in the opposite places?
Its very hard to be able to mess that up considering it really wouldn't slide in unless you turn them opposite which wouldnt match with the arrows. We both double checked everything, and I made sure of it the 2nd time and checked the pics as well. I installed one by one the same way I took sub connectors out of the box holder-thing. I believe it was on Map 1 since the seller had it installed on a near stock 335i only to be taken out for months and then sold.
      03-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
smallseafishie
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Reflash and switch to map0. The JB4 boards are pretty simple electronics wise.

Try re-seating the PIC processor from it's socket. I'd suspect the socket more than anything especially since they're in a harsh temperature / mechanical environment.
      03-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

EDIT:
NVM, problem came back again… FML!!!!

Last edited by Bluesnake01; 03-11-2014 at 05:17 PM.
      03-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
Reflash and switch to map0. The JB4 boards are pretty simple electronics wise.

Try re-seating the PIC processor from it's socket. I'd suspect the socket more than anything especially since they're in a harsh temperature / mechanical environment.
Re-seating the PIC processor? Which would be that? Sorry…. newb here….
      03-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #16
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

Did you try re-loading the firmware?

If that does not work I would ask BMS if they would take a look at the board if you send it in.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
      03-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

I didnt try after, Terry told me its best to get a new G5 board
      03-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake01 View Post
I didnt try after, Terry told me its best to get a new G5 board
That is the problem with buying used. You never know what you are going to get. The good news is a new G5 board is only $150 and since you're buying it new will get warranty and support with it.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
      03-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Its just weird that it worked the day before. The steering wheel controls aren't working either so I can't check the maps or anything. Its as if the jb4 isn't connected or responding.
      03-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
froop
Colonel

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I bought a used JB4 G5 ISO off a well respected member and when I installed it I had a similar issue. It would long crank but fail to start. I figured out that the CPS offset wires weren't connected so I fixed that up but then the car would long crank, start up and idle horribly for a second and then stall almost immediately after. I never checked for codes cos there was no point. It was obviously something wrong with the unit or install as whenever I went back to stock the car would be perfect. After about 5 uninstalls/reinstalls, quadruple checking etc I still had the same issue. The seller was excellent though as he said he had tested it before selling and tried to offer any help the best he could. He even offered to pay for shipping back to the US (from Australia) to sort out the issue.

I emailed Terry to no avail. He wasn't exactly very helpful or forthcoming due to it being a second hand unit. On another note, Vishnu have been pretty great offering support on my second hand Procede rev 3. Just my experience.

I figured that it was either the board or the harness so a good vendor here in Sydney lent me a brand new unit for me to troubleshoot. With a new harness it worked fine so I was able to narrow it down to the harness.

I double checked all of the pinouts and found out that the boost and ground wires were switched. No idea why, but I changed them over and voila. All good.

If you can source a working JB4/harness I would start there because it will help you narrow down which part is giving you your issues.

Good luck!

I run the JB4 on my girlfriends E88 N54 and the Procede on my E82 N54 with meth. Quite different products but they both work really well and I'm happy with both. I like the JB4 for it's set and forget map5 with E85 mixes and steering wheel controls. It's perfect for the girlfriend's car but I like the Procede for mine for it's user adjustable custom tuning.
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is online now   Australia
      03-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #21
MuNkY6913
The Crowing

Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.00]
I have a g4 board that's been collecting dust for a while now. It worked perfectly when I took it off. If you want I can send it out to you for you to trouble shoot if you send it back. Or if it works and you want to keep it we can work something out. Let me know.
Edit : it's only the board, no USB cable and no harness. And it was used in a 2009 E82 for about a year. Maybe year and a half.

2009 135i
MuNkY6913 is offline   United_States
      03-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #22
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I bought a used JB4 G5 ISO off a well respected member and when I installed it I had a similar issue. It would long crank but fail to start. I figured out that the CPS offset wires weren't connected so I fixed that up but then the car would long crank, start up and idle horribly for a second and then stall almost immediately after. I never checked for codes cos there was no point. It was obviously something wrong with the unit or install as whenever I went back to stock the car would be perfect. After about 5 uninstalls/reinstalls, quadruple checking etc I still had the same issue. The seller was excellent though as he said he had tested it before selling and tried to offer any help the best he could. He even offered to pay for shipping back to the US (from Australia) to sort out the issue.

I emailed Terry to no avail. He wasn't exactly very helpful or forthcoming due to it being a second hand unit. On another note, Vishnu have been pretty great offering support on my second hand Procede rev 3. Just my experience.

I figured that it was either the board or the harness so a good vendor here in Sydney lent me a brand new unit for me to troubleshoot. With a new harness it worked fine so I was able to narrow it down to the harness.

I double checked all of the pinouts and found out that the boost and ground wires were switched. No idea why, but I changed them over and voila. All good.

If you can source a working JB4/harness I would start there because it will help you narrow down which part is giving you your issues.

Good luck!

I run the JB4 on my girlfriends E88 N54 and the Procede on my E82 N54 with meth. Quite different products but they both work really well and I'm happy with both. I like the JB4 for it's set and forget map5 with E85 mixes and steering wheel controls. It's perfect for the girlfriend's car but I like the Procede for mine for it's user adjustable custom tuning.
That's awesome for Shiv to do that! Yeah Terry can't help much but there really isn't much he can do. The car starts but it idles horribly, gives me codes, and well turns off. I even try to use the steering wheel commands and its as if the jb4 is not there st all. Nothing happens. Yesterday for some weird reason it was working perfectly fine, today in the morning as well. Hours later, it started to do the same symptoms, I moved NOTHING, it was the same way I left it when it was working.

Only conclusion is that it is a faulty board. I uninstalled everything and car is running perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
I have a g4 board that's been collecting dust for a while now. It worked perfectly when I took it off. If you want I can send it out to you for you to trouble shoot if you send it back. Or if it works and you want to keep it we can work something out. Let me know.
Edit : it's only the board, no USB cable and no harness. And it was used in a 2009 E82 for about a year. Maybe year and a half.
That would be awesome!!!!! I would really appreciated! I'll pay for shipping. I have the USB and harness, but isn't the harness for the G4 different?