E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Service Engine Soon light?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Service Engine Soon light?

Hello, about every 4 or 5 days I get a service engine soon light. When I check the codes with my COBB unit it says "Mixture Control." I apologize I deleted the actual code before I looked to see what the code was. But I read that it said mixture control. I know I should have wrote the code down but didn't want to see the SES light anymore lol. The car seems to drive perfectly fine when this light comes on. Does anyone have any idea of what this can be?
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
Allen@MOTIV
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
7
Rep
603
Posts


 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Are you running an ethanol mixture?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen@PTF View Post
Are you running an ethanol mixture?
No I'm not. But I am running methanol injection. I've had the meth kit on for about one year with no issues. Only the past two months I've been noticing the SES light for mixture control.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Allen@MOTIV
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
7
Rep
603
Posts


 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
No I'm not. But I am running methanol injection. I've had the meth kit on for about one year with no issues. Only the past two months I've been noticing the SES light for mixture control.
Typically, mixture control codes are related to fuel trims that have gone wonky. You may want to do a log and see how it looks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
5
Rep
412
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi coupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

would they still trigger (under your assumed scenario) if they occur while cruising under light throttle?
__________________
335xi: 6MT: 35% Tint: V5 Rev. 3: FlexFuel: LPFP Upgrade: PWM Meth: Spec 2+ SMFW: AST 4100: Catless DPs: DCI: IC: Forge DVs: Modifed CDV: V1
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post
would they still trigger (under your assumed scenario) if they occur while cruising under light throttle?
I've only noticed the SES light come on when the car is idling. I'll gooutside and start the car, go back in the house. When I come back out SES light on with mixture control code.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen@PTF View Post
Typically, mixture control codes are related to fuel trims that have gone wonky. You may want to do a log and see how it looks.
How would fuel trims have just gone wrong? Would I be able to fix that by loading a different tune, or by reloading my current tune?
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Anyone have any idea if reloading the custom map could help my situation?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Snypa
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
268
Posts

 
Drives: 335-I
Join Date: May 2013
Location: I-75: Ft Laud

iTrader: (3)

That would of been my first thing to do. go back to stock and see if you still have issues.
__________________
SUPER SLOW E90
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypa View Post
That would of been my first thing to do. go back to stock and see if you still have issues.
I'll give it a try. I'm just confused how fuel trims could possibly get messed up when nothing has been changed. Hopefully this will fix this issue. I've been having a lot of different issues with this car lately and it's getting very frustrating. Only 45,000 miles on the car. Nothing super major, but all the little things add up. Sorry for the rant lol. Thank you for giving me some advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,382
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
There's is one of two first step as everything else would just be guessing.

Either reload your map and firmware and log or just run a log and see what your fuel trims and AFR are doing.

I would then reload your firmware and maps anyway and reset adaptations also.

If the problem persist then it might be an o2 sensor on its way out perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Ingeniator
Major
Ingeniator's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
1,081
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Fort Mac, Alberta

iTrader: (1)

But wait you mean I can't just assume my car doesn't change over time parts wear and my dme is just wrong and everything is actually fine. How do I disable the check engine light....
__________________
07 335XI (A008006) 6AT ~94K miles JB4 G5 ISO VSRF DP's
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
8,704
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
There's is one of two first step as everything else would just be guessing.

Either reload your map and firmware and log or just run a log and see what your fuel trims and AFR are doing.

I would then reload your firmware and maps anyway and reset adaptations also.

If the problem persist then it might be an o2 sensor on its way out perhaps.
Agree
also if you have a BT cable you might want to try to reset adaptation.
I had the same problem on my car and the reset adaptation fixed it
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,382
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator View Post
But wait you mean I can't just assume my car doesn't change over time parts wear and my dme is just wrong and everything is actually fine. How do I disable the check engine light....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
BMWM.D.'s Avatar
8
Rep
687
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Barbara

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator View Post
But wait you mean I can't just assume my car doesn't change over time parts wear and my dme is just wrong and everything is actually fine. How do I disable the check engine light....
Yep, a small piece of black electrical tape is all that's needed. Problem solved!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #16
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Agree
also if you have a BT cable you might want to try to reset adaptation.
I had the same problem on my car and the reset adaptation fixed it
Mike, I apologize for my lack of knowledge but what is the BT cable your talking about? And how would I reset the adaptation? Any way you could walk me through this or should I just ask my local shop to reset adaptation?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
8,704
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Mike, I apologize for my lack of knowledge but what is the BT cable your talking about? And how would I reset the adaptation? Any way you could walk me through this or should I just ask my local shop to reset adaptation?
Your local shop will know but probably charge you for it.
As for the BT, i would be happy to help. BT stands for Bavarian Technic cable, one of the many options this cable has is to reset adaptation. Once you get the cable i will show you how to do reset adaptaion ( takes less than 20 seconds)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Your local shop will know but probably charge you for it.
As for the BT, i would be happy to help. BT stands for Bavarian Technic cable, one of the many options this cable has is to reset adaptation. Once you get the cable i will show you how to do reset adaptaion ( takes less than 20 seconds)
Thank you for the explanation Mike. So in your opinion this mixture control error code is probably nothing to worry about? I'm hoping I can walk away from this without spending more money. Things just haven't been going my way. But thank you foryour help and time.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
8,704
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Thank you for the explanation Mike. So in your opinion this mixture control error code is probably nothing to worry about? I'm hoping I can walk away from this without spending more money. Things just haven't been going my way. But thank you foryour help and time.
I wouldn't say it is nothing to worry about since it could be very serious.
But what I'm saying is that before spending money and worrying it could be a very simple fix.

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 03-09-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #20
woptang22
Major
woptang22's Avatar
23
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I wouldn't say it is nothing to worry about since it could be very serious.
But what I'm saying is that before spending money and worrying it could be a very simple fix.
I had a local shop look at it a few weeks ago before I posted this message. But they have me a response that they just cleared the code and thought it could be from my afe intake. Which its not because the intake has been on the car for 26,000 miles. I have to get it checked out again. Im hoping nothing too serious,.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
8,704
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
I had a local shop look at it a few weeks ago before I posted this message. But they have me a response that they just cleared the code and thought it could be from my afe intake. Which its not because the intake has been on the car for 26,000 miles. I have to get it checked out again. Im hoping nothing too serious,.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST