E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car and Driver tests 335i with n55



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #45
Edward
Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
2,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

pre LCI will come up with 20 reasons why N54 is better and LCI folks will come up with 20 reasons why N55 is better. Funny thing is that none of us probably can tell a difference unless we're modding at this current point in time. All I care is that I don't have a HPFP problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #46
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,838
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

I find it interesting that Dushane mentions the CTS. Sure it is priced similarly to the 3 series, A4 and G (not to mention the IS and the C class), but it is actually closer in size to cars in the next class up (5 series, A6, etc). I agree with him that it would be nice to have attractive American-made cars to consider, but even if the CTS was the better car it is still too big. The upcoming ATS, on the other hand, is more inline size-wise, and I truly do hope that Cadillac builds something that rivals BMW's F30 3 series. I would definitely consider an ATS (probably the theoretical ATS-V, specifically) if they succeed.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #47
bimmer_335
Captain
14
Rep
795
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (1)

Are they saying N54 is faster then N55... whoa... i find it hard to believe !!! I do have my original e92 brochure and it does say 0-60 in 4.9 sec. If BMW is now saying 5.5ish... isnt it step in the wrong direction?

It gives me one more reason to stick with my babe...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #48
RambleJ
Colonel
RambleJ's Avatar
No_Country
27
Rep
2,013
Posts

 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
pre LCI will come up with 20 reasons why N54 is better and LCI folks will come up with 20 reasons why N55 is better. Funny thing is that none of us probably can tell a difference unless we're modding at this current point in time. All I care is that I don't have a HPFP problem.
That is true, but as said earlier. If the N55 is supposed to be as awesome if not better than the N54, why use the good ol N54 in the 335is models.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #49
Edward
Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
2,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
That is true, but as said earlier. If the N55 is supposed to be as awesome if not better than the N54, why use the good ol N54 in the 335is models.
Because the 335is was very likely to have been developed starting back a while before the N55 was.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #50
scott@bmwhn
Major
25
Rep
1,188
Posts

 
Drives: Msport 328i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston

iTrader: (3)

fwiw it appears both N54 and N55 share the same HPFP
__________________
13' Msport 328i _Mperformance - Modulare - H&R_

Previous: 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #51
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wild, Wonderful WV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott@bmwhn View Post
fwiw it appears both N54 and N55 share the same HPFP

Is this true? Can I ask where you heard this?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #52
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.
Verbiage's Avatar
Jamaica
117
Rep
8,143
Posts

 
Drives: N54B30
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy92782 View Post
A 335i with the N54 engine and automatic transmission has an EPA rating of 17/26 mpg.

A 335i with the N55 engine and automatic transmission has an EPA rating of 17/28 mpg.
Around 20/29 in my '07. Don't know where the hell these kinds of numbers come from

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
Are they saying N54 is faster then N55... whoa... i find it hard to believe !!! I do have my original e92 brochure and it does say 0-60 in 4.9 sec. If BMW is now saying 5.5ish... isnt it step in the wrong direction?

It gives me one more reason to stick with my babe...
BMW has been known to be notoriously conservative with their figures
__________________
Peep my music shit here
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #53
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Oulixes's Avatar
19
Rep
1,941
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi, 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Terra Borealis

iTrader: (0)

It is a reasonable and fair review.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #54
Jack28
HUSTLER
Jack28's Avatar
13
Rep
1,319
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So/Ca Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Jack28
Great Article by Car & Driver...


Gotta Love this...

We drive, test, and compare every vehicle on the market. If we spend our own money on a car (and we do, with no special deals), doesn't that tell you that it really is the best one in the class? I just bought a 2008 335xi coupe (my fourth 3-series). Don't you think the decade of experience I have evaluating vehicles professionally would lead me to the best car for the money? The CTS, A4, and G37 are all great cars, but the 3-series kills all of them on the ride/handling balance, it's got better seats than the CTS, better steering than the A4, and more refinement than the G37. I challenge anyone with significant seat and track time in all of these vehicles to contest that. When the CTS coupe arrives, we'll compare it with the 3-series coupe, and if it's better, we'll say so. I'd love to buy American—just give me a superior product. If we're biased, it's toward buying great vehicles.

Mike Dushane

VP Consumer Brand Product Development

Car and Driver
__________________

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....

Last edited by Jack28; 05-20-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #55
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,509
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
Are they saying N54 is faster then N55... whoa... i find it hard to believe !!! I do have my original e92 brochure and it does say 0-60 in 4.9 sec. If BMW is now saying 5.5ish... isnt it step in the wrong direction?

It gives me one more reason to stick with my babe...
I don't think the 2007 brochure said 4.9. I'd be willing to bet $10,000 it was 5.3 for the manual, slower for the auto. But I don't feel like getting my brochure out.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #56
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Because the 335is was very likely to have been developed starting back a while before the N55 was.
If this makes you sleep better at night, then ok, thats the reason.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #57
Edward
Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
2,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
If this makes you sleep better at night, then ok, thats the reason.
nah that's not really what I was getting at because I think both engines are amazing. but glad to know your 20 extra hp keep you warm at night.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #58
paulbazo
Private First Class
4
Rep
154
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 640i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

N54 is the original
N55 is a copy
Originals are better than copies
Therefore, N54 is better than N55
__________________
2011 F10 550i M sport
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #59
TheRox
Colonel
TheRox's Avatar
50
Rep
2,312
Posts

 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

iTrader: (2)

i'm sure both are fine
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #60
simianspeedster
Captain
17
Rep
608
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
That is true, but as said earlier. If the N55 is supposed to be as awesome if not better than the N54, why use the good ol N54 in the 335is models.
Another reason may be their desire to transition the production line switch from N54 to N55 in volume. Considering how many cars the N54 went into before the N55 came along, it would be a tall task for BMW to cutover all N54 cars to N55 immediately without creating the possibility of a production shortage or other issue. Operationally, it's a sound practice to gradually roll one production item out in volume while gradually retiring another.

Also, I believe I've read that the N55 costs less to produce than the N54, so it makes sense to use the N54 in higher cost/profit margin cars like the 335is and the Z4 sDrive35is.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #61
cstavaru
Brigadier General
cstavaru's Avatar
94
Rep
3,237
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Also, I believe I've read that the N55 costs less to produce than the N54, so it makes sense to use the N54 in higher cost/profit margin cars like the 335is and the Z4 sDrive35is.
So does this mean that BMW would not want to have an even higher profit margin by sticking the N55 in 335is and Z4 35is ?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #62
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.
Verbiage's Avatar
Jamaica
117
Rep
8,143
Posts

 
Drives: N54B30
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
Great Article by Car & Driver...


Gotta Love this...

We drive, test, and compare every vehicle on the market. If we spend our own money on a car (and we do, with no special deals), doesn't that tell you that it really is the best one in the class? I just bought a 2008 335xi coupe (my fourth 3-series). Don't you think the decade of experience I have evaluating vehicles professionally would lead me to the best car for the money? The CTS, A4, and G37 are all great cars, but the 3-series kills all of them on the ride/handling balance, it's got better seats than the CTS, better steering than the A4, and more refinement than the G37. I challenge anyone with significant seat and track time in all of these vehicles to contest that. When the CTS coupe arrives, we'll compare it with the 3-series coupe, and if it's better, we'll say so. I'd love to buy American—just give me a superior product. If we're biased, it's toward buying great vehicles.

Mike Dushane

VP Consumer Brand Product Development

Car and Driver
Gotta love those editors, sometimes. They're not all arrogant douchebags. *cough* Jeremy Clarkson *cough*.

I love that guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I don't think the 2007 brochure said 4.9. I'd be willing to bet $10,000 it was 5.3 for the manual, slower for the auto. But I don't feel like getting my brochure out.
It is. I looked at mine the other day. It was 5.4 for manual, 5.6 for auto. Talk about conservative
__________________
Peep my music shit here
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #63
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
32
Rep
1,736
Posts

 
Drives: to work, mostly.
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Saw the sticker on the 135i with DCT lists 25 mpg highway, which I would think would be low by 2 or 3 mpg.
The coefficient of drag on the 1-series coupes was higher than the 3-series, and I think they've done more aerodynamic work to make the 3ers' coefficient of drag even better. (I think the 2011 1ers still have the same styling.)

Also - don't forget that the article is looking at the EPA numbers for the RWD coupe. Someone here was comparing his AWD 3er...the AWD will always get worse MPG than the RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #64
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
nah that's not really what I was getting at because I think both engines are amazing. but glad to know your 20 extra hp keep you warm at night.
Yeah you're right on the money. I only bought the "is" for the 20 extra ponies. Nothing more.

Good night sweet prince.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #65
bimmer_335
Captain
14
Rep
795
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
Great Article by Car & Driver...


Gotta Love this...

We drive, test, and compare every vehicle on the market. If we spend our own money on a car (and we do, with no special deals), doesn't that tell you that it really is the best one in the class? I just bought a 2008 335xi coupe (my fourth 3-series). Don't you think the decade of experience I have evaluating vehicles professionally would lead me to the best car for the money? The CTS, A4, and G37 are all great cars, but the 3-series kills all of them on the ride/handling balance, it's got better seats than the CTS, better steering than the A4, and more refinement than the G37. I challenge anyone with significant seat and track time in all of these vehicles to contest that. When the CTS coupe arrives, we'll compare it with the 3-series coupe, and if it's better, we'll say so. I'd love to buy Americanójust give me a superior product. If we're biased, it's toward buying great vehicles.

Mike Dushane

VP Consumer Brand Product Development

Car and Driver

He makes a valid point... he was replying to your email or somthing? Just curious !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #66
markinva
Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
403
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boxster S

iTrader: (0)

^It was in the comments section of the article I linked in the OP. I also highlighted this quote in the OP.

Does nobody read the OP? lol
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST