E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > ***No More Rusty hubs DIY***



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
***No More Rusty hubs DIY***
Published by diesel007
08-05-2006
***No More Rusty hubs DIY***

Every two weeks I jack my car up and pull off the wheels to clean the suspension, wheels wells, and the inner wheels. I also do this to inspect the inner-wheels, inner-tires, and suspension components. The hubs on BMWs love to corrode and rust. Cosmetically it's really not a big deal because the wheel covers the rust but the hub-centric ring builds rust and makes it difficult to remove the wheels. Once the wheels are off the hubs look horrible as you can see in this pic.



As you can see the inner hub is the worst. I could not deal with this any more so I decided to fix it. I went to AutoZone and spent $13.00 on some sand paper, anti-seize, and brake cleaner.



With the brake cleaner and some WD40 I found in my tool kit I started to tackle the rust. You could use a wire brush in place of the sand paper.

1.Sand the rusted areas until you are down to smooth metal.
2.Apply the anti-seize with the brush included. You only have to apply anti-seize to the areas that were rusted but I did the entire face of the hub.
3.Wipe the excess with a towel.
…and you are done!

Here is the result:
Rear hub (After)


Front Hub (After)


Nothing too fancy but it looks a million times better then the rusted ones and you wont have hell every time you remove the wheels. BTW this only took me about a hour with one jack.
__________________
***Wallpaper of the month***

1/1/072/1/07
Tutorial Tools
  #1  
By oneshare325 on 08-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Way to go, I don't think I would care that much, but great work man! Looks alot better!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
By Collanrf on 08-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Nice DIY Ryan. I guess i'll find out if i can take my wheels off in a couple of days when i change my wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
By tron1043 on 08-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel007
Every two weeks I jack my car up and pull off the wheels to clean the suspension, wheels wells, and the inner wheels. I also do this to inspect the inner-wheels, inner-tires, and suspension components. The hubs on BMWs love to corrode and rust. Cosmetically it's really not a big deal because the wheel covers the rust but the hub-centric ring builds rust and makes it difficult to remove the wheels. Once the wheels are off the hubs look horrible as you can see in this pic.
I have done something similar, however I used a Mr. Clean magic eraser being careful to avoid the rotor surface. I can't say if it works better than your approach, but it is a bonus that you don't need chemicals.

I am going to try the brake cleaner based on your post.

Nice post.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
By irowharderthanyou on 08-06-2006, 12:25 PM
diesel, one thing you could try to put on there is corrosion block. I live right on the intercoastal (salty air) and use the stuff on everything i can think of. It is supposed to prevent corrosion for up to 6 months, but i would say more like 3-4. You can buy it at most hardware stores or boating stores. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
By ADHD on 08-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Wow someone else thats as anal as me! lol....I thought i was the only one that took my wheels off when i washed my car! guess not! Good for u Ryan! I always get wierd looks when people drive by im out in the front lawn with a wheell scrubbing it...My neighbor calls me crazy every time he sees me doing it!
Ive always used the brake cleaner to remove the rust and a wire brush I never thought of the anti sieze compound! Have u pulled your wheels off after u did this?? can u take a pic of it in a week or so! how does the anti-sieze prevent rusting??//
Reply With Quote
  #6  
By diesel007 on 08-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
Wow someone else thats as anal as me! lol....I thought i was the only one that took my wheels off when i washed my car! guess not! Good for u Ryan! I always get wierd looks when people drive by im out in the front lawn with a wheell scrubbing it...My neighbor calls me crazy every time he sees me doing it!
Ive always used the brake cleaner to remove the rust and a wire brush I never thought of the anti sieze compound! Have u pulled your wheels off after u did this?? can u take a pic of it in a week or so! how does the anti-sieze prevent rusting??//
lol, it's the only way to get your wheels 100% clean, and don't worry I get weird looks too.

I will do a follow up in a couple of weeks and snap some pics to see if the anti-seize is doing it's job. The dried anti-seize should act as a layer of protection to prevent rusting and corrosion of the hubs so we shall see.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
By diesel007 on 08-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
hey ryan.....bring your jack and anti-seize kit to the APM....

and do a DIY with my car as an example for the 40+ folks to see.........
hells no
Reply With Quote
  #8  
By Asiann on 08-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Good post! Now I have another thing to add to the DIY list. I imagine this is only worse in areas of heavy rain.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
By txusa03 on 08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
you missed a few spots. I guess you have to do it again next weekend. Other than that excellent diy for those who are clean freaks your car is very lucky to have you as its owner...
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
By canucklion on 09-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Thank you Ryan, this is GREAT
Reply With Quote
  #11  
By therealm3 on 10-04-2006, 03:27 PM
nice work. I have a freind who paints his rotor hats with an anti corosive paint (silver) and it keeps them looking great. Bonus with that is you only have to do it once. From what I recall, the paint is similar to what they paint calipers with from the factory.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
By E90Fleet on 10-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Do you guys get this more in the winter? Possibly from salt on the roads ?

Because here the rusting hardly happens ( we dont get snow)

My E36 is 10 years old, and hardly a spec of rust on the hubs
None on my old E39 either
Reply With Quote
  #13  
By ward on 10-04-2006, 03:59 PM
good call diesel

it can be a PAIN to remove or attempt to remove stuck wheels!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
By diesel007 on 10-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Do you guys get this more in the winter? Possibly from salt on the roads ?

Because here the rusting hardly happens ( we dont get snow)

My E36 is 10 years old, and hardly a spec of rust on the hubs
None on my old E39 either
It does not snow here but the salty coastal air next to the coast is a contributing factor, also when washing the wheels water can seep though the wheel caps.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
By magmd on 10-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Man..that looks great. I need to do this soon on my car!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
By longtran on 10-14-2006, 12:42 PM
ryan, come up and do mine.. my shit have a lotta rust.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
By diesel007 on 10-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
ryan, come up and do mine.. my shit have a lotta rust.


***Rusty hub meet***
Reply With Quote
  #18  
By just4kickz on 10-14-2006, 11:47 PM
no jack... using spit and tissues will have to do.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
By longtran on 10-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Do you guys get this more in the winter? Possibly from salt on the roads ?

Because here the rusting hardly happens ( we dont get snow)

My E36 is 10 years old, and hardly a spec of rust on the hubs
None on my old E39 either
we dont get snow in LA. is something wrong then??? i think we just wash our car too damn much.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
By magmd on 10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm down for rusty meet

This weeK? LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
By longtran on 10-15-2006, 10:24 PM
i definitely need do mine. i'm down.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tags
rusty hubs, rusty hubs fix

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST