E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Crankshaft Sensor Replacement Difficulty

05-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
binaryagent
United_States
Rep

Drives: Black 2008 335xi Sport

Crankshaft Sensor Replacement Difficulty

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the crankshaft sensor on a 335i? I apparently need a new one and the dealer is charging me over $500. I can see that the part itself is $116 so he's got to be figuring a couple of technician hours for the labor.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Crankshaft looks very easy. Because it's on the lower part of the block you need to raise the car. Can probably be done with jackstands on the front, or ramps if you want to be really tight.

You just remove the mounting bolt , pull off the sensor, disconnect the wire harness, and put the new one in, plug in the wire harness, tighten the bolt (only 6ft lbs of torque). There may be a little oil that comes out, so be ready for it. Also use a new oring (might be supplied with the new part) and then lower the car and clear your codes with the BT tool.

It's located at the rear of the block below the starter. Order a Bentley Manual from Amazon for pictures (best $85 you can spend on DIY info)

Done!

* Looks like they are charging you 2.5-3 hours of labor for a 30 minute job...typical.
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Last edited by scottp999; 05-21-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
binaryagent
United_States
Rep

Drives: Black 2008 335xi Sport

Great info. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryagent View Post
Great info. Thanks.
Was it as simple as reported? I think I need to replace mine as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Crankshaft looks very easy. Because it's on the lower part of the block you need to raise the car. Can probably be done with jackstands on the front, or ramps if you want to be really tight.

You just remove the mounting bolt , pull off the sensor, disconnect the wire harness, and put the new one in, plug in the wire harness, tighten the bolt (only 6ft lbs of torque). There may be a little oil that comes out, so be ready for it. Also use a new oring (might be supplied with the new part) and then lower the car and clear your codes with the BT tool.

It's located at the rear of the block below the starter. Order a Bentley Manual from Amazon for pictures (best $85 you can spend on DIY info)

Done!

* Looks like they are charging you 2.5-3 hours of labor for a 30 minute job...typical.
I'm not sure for this job, but for most sensor replacements, BMW recommends clearing the trouble codes FIRST before removing the old sensor.
Appreciate 0