E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 Audio install

07-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
chriss_5
Rep

Drives: 325i

E92 Audio install

I have no pics but their are plenty on this site, I am an amateur but keen/willing to learn and will have a go at anything. It took practically a full working day in the sun an copious amounts of beer. This is my second ever audio install completed yesterday, first time on a BMW too.

Parts Used
JL Audio 400/4 v2
Gladen 4ch harness
Gladen subs
Logic 7 Front and rears mids
E92 tweeter housings. didnt realise the Logic 7 tweeters were rears not fronts, so require tweeters, which ill source some time soon hopefully.
Mak8 connector and housing

Few comments doing the install,

I found it easier to remove the seats than try leaning back and trying to remove the subs with the seat in place

Harness i manger to push the quad lock to the right hole towards driver
Ran the harness under the edge of the carpet passenger foot well through to the boot where the oem wiring trail is.

Amp sits in the left quarter where the cd changer would be located. (currently loose but will fix to MDF so its a good fit

Amp is currently wired to the terminal left of the big chunky lead this will change once the mak8 parts arrive

Amp had offset mode so no remote turn on required

under floor subs were glued had to buy new enclosures (not arrived yet didnt expect this)

I have recoded to HU to HIFI

The speakers are 2 ohms
The subs are 4 ohms, im told this is OK as long as on different channels.

if anyone has any questions or can offer any help/suggestions/advice, let me know ;-) likewise if i can help ask away

Thanks for reading and thanks for all those who had suggested kit previously.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep

Drives: Monaco Blue e90 320d

Well done for doing it yourself.

I hope you can source the last few bits and get it all fixed in so you can enjoy it. If your Gladens are brand new then they take a while to wear in, so will sound better in a month or so.

What crossover are you running them at?
      07-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
chriss_5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondogUK View Post
Well done for doing it yourself.

I hope you can source the last few bits and get it all fixed in so you can enjoy it. If your Gladens are brand new then they take a while to wear in, so will sound better in a month or so.

What crossover are you running them at?
Hi,

I don't have the cross overs set just yet, I am missing front tweeters, and the under floor subs are still stock at present, hence the little concern of the rest of the car with 2ohm speaks being wired in parallel with the 4 ohm subs, it's only for a few days though so should be ok :-),

I also figure I have to do subs thing to the under floor sub wiring so front doors will still work once disconnected.

But yes bit proud of myself, just takes time a patience, amp needs securing properly etc, I've grounded it to the same location as batter and I'd rather on the other side near stock location but couldn't see anywhere but one bolt and not sure what that was.
And some of the boot panels don't seem to be going back as neatly but once I get more time I'll try harder I guess
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 325i SE

I am working my way through all the forum posts trying to decide which way to go with the Audio in my newly acquired E92 Coupe - there are so/too many options!

I am still undecided as to whether to change the Headunit or not - do you have a pro HU? Did you do the recode yourself?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
chriss_5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
I am working my way through all the forum posts trying to decide which way to go with the Audio in my newly acquired E92 Coupe - there are so/too many options!

I am still undecided as to whether to change the Headunit or not - do you have a pro HU? Did you do the recode yourself?

Hi,

There is a wealth of info here, but as i figured their is only so much reading you can do. there are plenty of guide for disassembly.

The only surprise i had was he underfloor subs being glued. so waiting for replacement enlosures.

Just take time and be careful, part the reason i took me 9-10 hours was i have use of only 1 thumb at present and its on my main hand

i have the professional nav HU with idrive, and yes i recoded myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
Hulla the Hulla
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E91 335d

In the main, installing audio in a car is relatively straight forward. I'm no audio nut, mechanic, electrical engineer etc but I have a good technical head and a fair amount of common sense.
Read, absorb, take notes for any tecnical stuff that could cause problems and always double, treble check any power stuff. You don't want to fry your kit or worse, your car ! I always err on the side of over engineering things, do it once, do it right. I also think the job through, stage by stage to predict what you'll need, kit and tools wise so you don't get stuck with a car in bit's and no way to get to your local hardware/car audio place for something you've forgotten.
Appreciate 0