E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Please send Comedy Central a message about censorship.

04-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

Please send Comedy Central a message about censorship.

I'm disappointed the mod stopped the previous "SouthPark" censorship thread. Discussions like that are what this part of the forum is for.

Anyway, please chip in and send Comedy Central a message about what you think about their cowardice. Use the following URL...

http://www.comedycentral.com/help/questionsCC.jhtml

Here's what I sent...
Quote:
By giving in to religious radicals, you've encouraged their immoral methods. Now they'll increase their use of threats like these. This is why the US does not negotiate with terrorists under any circumstances. You've dealt a blow to freedom of speech and done a great favor for radical Islam. Way to go.

You're un-American cowards.
      04-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

I like Jon Stewart's approach. It is a whole lot simpler......

" GO F**K YOURSELVES".
      04-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
carve
Major

Yeah...but you're talking to yourself. Tell Comedy Central.
      04-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Dan in PA
Captain

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Yeah...but you're talking to yourself. Tell Comedy Central.

Already done. I wonder if JS gets death threats as well?
      04-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
ghosthi32
Banned

Drives: Water camel

oh well
      04-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
carve
Major

When you reply, please refer to their sense of patriotism morality & ethics, and most of all, economics. If you feel it necessary, please let them know you'll boycott their network, or feel justified pirating their shows rather than watching them through legitimate sources.
      04-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
Dan in PA
Captain

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
When you reply, please refer to their sense of patriotism morality & ethics, and most of all, economics. If you feel it necessary, please let them know you'll boycott their network, or feel justified pirating their shows rather than watching them through legitimate sources.

Well, they certainly responded well to threats of violence, maybe we should go that route.
      04-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
I'm disappointed the mod stopped the previous "SouthPark" censorship thread. Discussions like that are what this part of the forum is for.

Anyway, please chip in and send Comedy Central a message about what you think about their cowardice. Use the following URL...

http://www.comedycentral.com/help/questionsCC.jhtml

Here's what I sent...
Yeah, really. That's some serious bullshit
      04-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
MrRoboto
Colonel

Drives: VO 1M

It seems every other faith is fair game but muslim is off limits.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
      04-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Negotiator
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 GTI

Don't really care, they are a commercial organization, they can do whatever they want. It does seem strange to bring on one of the most controvertial shows on TV, and then censor it.
Negotiator is offline   Ukraine
      04-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
carve
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Well, they certainly responded well to threats of violence, maybe we should go that route.
Ohhhh...the irony would be so sweet. "If you let ANYONE other than the creators of your content make changes to the content, we will fucking bomb your building! Use your own voice or suffer the consequences"

Lol...dirka dirka.
      04-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
carve
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
Don't really care, they are a commercial organization, they can do whatever they want. It does seem strange to bring on one of the most controvertial shows on TV, and then censor it.
Yeah...but that's not what they wanted to do. They were threatened with murder into doing it.
      04-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
carve
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Yeah, really. That's some serious bullshit
I managed to save pages 11 & 12...not sure how to put 'em back up.

I asked southlight why he was deleting the thread, or even closing it. He said it was closing because people (not me) were being disrespectful and some of the insults "crossed the line". He asked for suggestion on how to save the thread. I wrote him a long, well thought out argument of why the thread was reasonable and shouldn't be deleted. By the time I sent it, it was already deleted and he never responded to my argument, which I'll post below.

Quote:
Thanks. Just because something is offensive doesn't make it wrong. User Mahmood07 was happy the death threats against Trey and Matt were successful in accomplishing the goal of silencing them. While this doesn't make him a terrorist himself, it does make him a terrorist supporter and an extremist. Do you disagree? It seems fairly straighforward and a matter of fact. I think it may've been a wake-up call to him to hear that- he didn't seem to realize it himself. I think closing the thread will be seen by him as vindication that he was being "picked on" unfairly, and that censoring the views of people he disagrees with is acceptable and something others support. It also encourages the sentiment that Islam deserves special protections not afforded to other groups and religions.

Islam is a religion, not a race, so the racism clause (in the forum rules) is not applicable here. There weren't any racist remarks anyway. I believe the only people generalizing large groups of people were DrunkenMonkey (and that was directed at Americans, not Muslims), and a few others who only contributed a few sentences to the thread.

While two users (mostly Mahmood) were drawing most of the fire, the real subject here was religious extremists using intimidation and violence to attack arguably the most important and critical value in western civilization: free speech. Mahmood supporting this is far more offensive than anything directed towards him or his religion in the thread. This thread was advocating peace over violence, and only one was advocating violence.

Furthermore, nobody was forced to take part in the thread. If they didn't want to participate, they wouldn't. Threads like this are exactly why the politics/religion section is in it's own subforum: they're contentious subjects that result in heated debate that many people don't want to take part in. Judging by how fast the thread was growing, people found it very interesting. It's not often we get to talk directly to those who support extremism.

You're the moderator, so of course it's your decision to make, but I recommend not deleting the thread at the very least.

Thanks
-Carve
After he deleted the thread, I followed up a few hours later to ask if he thought the above argument was unreasonable. No response.
      04-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Scorpion
Major

Drives: Nothing

Damn, just let it go.
Scorpion is offline   No_Country
      04-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
carve
Major

Why would I do that? I don't think you understand how important it is to not give in to terrorism. This isn't just because I like SouthPark or something.

Last edited by carve; 04-24-2010 at 02:40 PM.
      04-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
ghosthi32
Banned

Drives: Water camel

everyone be afraid cause terrorist censored south park...
      04-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
carve
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
everyone be afraid cause terrorists successfully used threats to censor and influence American media...
Fixed
      04-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #18
335R1
Private First Class

Drives: F30 335i

there are 3 things I recognize about this site. It's international, overtly politically correct and economically driven. It's the last place I'd go to for any kind of grievance in the spirit of morality and equally fair human belief of fundemental rights.

Last edited by 335R1; 04-25-2010 at 12:06 PM.
      04-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
josephr25
Major

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Ohhhh...the irony would be so sweet. "If you let ANYONE other than the creators of your content make changes to the content, we will fucking bomb your building! Use your own voice or suffer the consequences"

Lol...dirka dirka.
Maybe hate mail should be sent to Revolution Muslim as well.
josephr25 is offline   United_States
      04-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #20
carve
Major

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhCjv9EcLpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhCjv9EcLpw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Last edited by carve; 04-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.
      04-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

The best part of the whole thing:

They totally showed Muhammed in the Super Best Friends episode way back in the day.

No one said a word about it. Suddenly now it becomes an issue.
      04-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
carve
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
The best part of the whole thing:

They totally showed Muhammed in the Super Best Friends episode way back in the day.

No one said a word about it. Suddenly now it becomes an issue.
Super Best Friends was removed from SouthParkStudios.com three or four days ago. But yeah- before the dutch cartoon controversy, nobody cared. Mohammad is portrayed very positively in that episode, too.