E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > When doesn't the radio automatically shut off with CA?

12-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
DocYahoo
Private

Drives: 335i

When doesn't the radio automatically shut off with CA?

Hi All -

The radio in my 335 Coupe stays on even after the engine has been shut off and I have walked away from the car. I have comfort accesss and the only way to shut off the radio is to manually lock the car (via the FOB or touching the door handle). I'm assuming once the car has detected that I'm a certain distance away from the vehicle, it will automatically lock the vehicle. Why doesn't the car shut off the radio? Or is my assumption of the car locking itself is wrong to begin with?

Thanks.
      12-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
JSpira
Freude am Fahren

Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocYahoo
Hi All -

The radio in my 335 Coupe stays on even after the engine has been shut off and I have walked away from the car.
It´s supposed to do that. Perfectly normal operation. If you don´t want it on, press START again.

Quote:
I'm assuming once the car has detected that I'm a certain distance away from the vehicle, it will automatically lock the vehicle. Why doesn't the car shut off the radio? Or is my assumption of the car locking itself is wrong to begin with?
Incorrect assumption. You should be locking the car when you leave.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
JSpira is offline   Austria
      12-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
DocYahoo
Private

Thanks for the clearification. I will start locking the car manually then.

Out of curiocity, why doesn't the car lock itself if it knows the key fob is outside of the car, and has moved away from the vehicle.
      12-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
ironic
Major General

Drives: Jet Black 335i

i heard the sedan was diff fromt he coupe?

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
ironic is offline   United_States
      12-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #5
Alpine
Major

Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Mine does the same thing- you just have to either hit 'Start' twice (shut off engine, shut off radio) or just hit it once and lock the car, which you should do anyway...

As for the locking when the fob is away- I know in the IDrive menu, there's an option for the car to re-lock itself if you don't open the doors after you unlock them from the fob. I don't know if this would do apply to leaving the car..
      12-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #6
rrandyy
Captain

Drives: E92 328

Its called "passive locking" and comes with most $50 alarms you can buy online or at your local electronics store. Neither the E90 or E92 currently support this, nor does the $300 OEM BMW alarm add this functionality. Additionally, I don't believe you can install an aftermarket alarm on the E9X cars.
      12-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #7
DocYahoo
Private

It sure would be nice if passive locking is available.
      12-11-2006, 02:07 AM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF

Drives: '07 Z4MC, '05 330Ci ZHP

I too find this an annoying "feature". When I get home in the evening and shut my car off, the damn radio plays on unless I hit the start button a second time. I'm not going to lock the car in my garage, so I either have to do this or walk away with the thing blasting, which is stupid. If I'm futzing around with stuff in the car and haven't yet taken my foot off the clutch, then it fires right up again when I hit the button the second time - now THAT'S irritating!

VW has it all over BMW in this regard. When you turn the car off, the radio goes off with it. Want the radio on w/o the key? Fine, you can turn it on, and it will stay on for about an hour without the key and shut itself off by itself if you don't do it. Also when the car's shut off, you don't have to pull the damn door handle twice to unlock the door - twice while running but only once after shutdown in the VW. Simple little things, yes.. but easy enough to emulate and BMW should IMHO.
      12-11-2006, 03:45 AM   #9
BenMW
Major

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 330i coupe  [0.00]
2002 325ci  [0.00]
I have no problems with it I think it just fine.....I just lock the car and it goes off or just tap the button twice (with my foot off the brake, ive messed up afew times aznd restarted)
BenMW is offline   United_States
      12-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #10
jimf15e
First Lieutenant

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMW
I have no problems with it I think it just fine.....I just lock the car and it goes off or just tap the button twice (with my foot off the brake, ive messed up afew times aznd restarted)
Turn off the car by holding the start button for about 1.5 seconds. Turns off everything, just like hitting the start button twice..
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
jimf15e is offline   United_States
      12-11-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
JSpira
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine

As for the locking when the fob is away- I know in the IDrive menu, there's an option for the car to re-lock itself if you don't open the doors after you unlock them from the fob. I don't know if this would do apply to leaving the car..
No, it doesn´t apply.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

12-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
JSpira
Freude am Fahren

What if you wanted to leave someone in the car (a child for example) and take the key with you. The car would like if it locked automatically.

Or if you wanted to leave the car unlocked in your driveway or garage for a period of time.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

12-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #13
KillDork
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 MY '06 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
VW has it all over BMW in this regard. When you turn the car off, the radio goes off with it. Want the radio on w/o the key? Fine, you can turn it on, and it will stay on for about an hour without the key and shut itself off by itself if you don't do it. Also when the car's shut off, you don't have to pull the damn door handle twice to unlock the door - twice while running but only once after shutdown in the VW. Simple little things, yes.. but easy enough to emulate and BMW should IMHO.
I'd rather have the radio continue to play than having to turn if on again. Would be a real pain when you have wait for someone in the car listening to the radio, shutting of the engine and having to turn the radio back on.

I don´t have to pull the handle twice when the engine's shut off. The doors automatically unlocks once the engine shuts down.
Aluminium trim|black Dakota leather|Xenon|Comfort Access|Sports seats|Steptronic|iDrive Professional|Bluetooth|Voice|PDC front & rear|sun shade rear window & sides|auto dim outside & inside mirrors|Comfort|Dynamic|Advantage
KillDork is offline   Norway
      12-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
BK
Smiling politely

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillDork
I don´t have to pull the handle twice when the engine's shut off. The doors automatically unlocks once the engine shuts down.
That must be a EU thing. It doesn't do that on my car (I wish it did).

For the record, I prefer the CA system of turning off the car versus having a key. I do the "two press" method, but hold the button longer or lock the car if you don't like doing that.

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
      12-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #15
Dante
Major

Drives: F31 330d / E89 Z4 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Out of curiocity, why doesn't the car lock itself if it knows the key fob is outside of the car, and has moved away from the vehicle.
Because it is called 'comfort access', not 'comfort exit'!

But seriously, I would really like the car to lock automatically after moving out of reach. Bugs me all the time when I'm loaded with stuff...
Dante is offline   Germany
      12-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #16
rrandyy
Captain

Quote:
Can you explain this a little more? You mean when you drive off the doors automatically lock and then when you turn your car off the doors unlock.

Is this an option you set somewhere? Do you have the BMW alarm? Can you verify again the doors lock and then unlock (and not that they just stay unlocked)? I havent heard of any other E9x having this capability.
      12-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #17
KillDork
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 MY '06 320D

I have iDrive and set it to lock the doors automatically. I have the alarm also, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.
When I drive of, the doors lock "Chack!" on all four doors. when I come to a stop, for instance to let a passenger off, if I don't turn off the engine they have to pull twice on the handle. Or I unlock with the button on the center console, most people don't understand the two-pull operation.
Also, I have to unlock to let someone in while the engine is running, but that natural.
Everytime I turn off the engine, all doors unlock "Chack"!
I can also set it to only open the drivers door (I think, have to check that one).
Aluminium trim|black Dakota leather|Xenon|Comfort Access|Sports seats|Steptronic|iDrive Professional|Bluetooth|Voice|PDC front & rear|sun shade rear window & sides|auto dim outside & inside mirrors|Comfort|Dynamic|Advantage
KillDork is offline   Norway
      12-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
BK
Smiling politely

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Everytime I turn off the engine, all doors unlock "Chack"!
That's a new one to me. I don't think any US E90/92s do this (but I wish they did).

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
      01-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #19
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
This car has a good mix of features for how the radio works when shutting off the car.

If you want to turn off the radio so that it will not turn on next time you start the engine, then turn off the radio with the radio power button. Do this either before or after shutting off the engine.

If you want to turn off the radio so that it will turn on next time you start the engine, press the start button and hold it there for a moment until both the engine and the radio turn off.

If you want to shut off the engine, but keep the radio playing, (ie: waiting a few minutes for somebody; adding fuel to the gas tank; etc.) turn off the engine without holding the button in.

If the engine is off, and the radio is playing, press the start button (without engaging the clutch) to turn the radio off. The next time you start the engine, the radio will power up.

If you want to leave the radio playing until you lock the car, just leave it playing and exit the car. It will turn off when you lock the door. The next time you start the car, the radio will also power up. (This is usually what I do. Hearing the radio turn off when I lock the door is another confirmation that the doors have locked.)

Automatic locking is described on page 22 of the manual. So far, I have not succeeded in getting the doors to lock automatically after I have exited the car. It reads:
5. Use button 1 to select:
on
The central locking system automatically locks the vehicle after some time if no door has been opened.
Drive-off locking works well for me. I have not found anything about setting the doors to unlock when shutting off the engine.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      01-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #20
rrandyy
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww
5. Use button 1 to select:
on
The central locking system automatically locks the vehicle after some time if no door has been opened.
This isnt what you think it is This option, when enabled, will relock the doors if you unlock the doors but never open them. So, if you walk up to the car, unlock the doors and then just sit there and watch it, it will lock itself. It wont, however, lock itself if you turn the car off and get out of the car.
      01-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #21
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy
This isnt what you think it is This option, when enabled, will relock the doors if you unlock the doors but never open them. So, if you walk up to the car, unlock the doors and then just sit there and watch it, it will lock itself. It wont, however, lock itself if you turn the car off and get out of the car.
rrandyy, maybe you would know why in on page 22, 5. has what seems to be redundant:
O on
> on
The central locking system automatically locks the vehicle as soon as you drive off.
O>
The central locking system automatically locks the vehicle after some time if no door has been opened, or as soon as you drive off.
I have all three of these turned on. The third one seems to describe what the first and second do when they are both turned on.

And on page 20, Setting confirmation signals,
5. Use button to select:
> \\\
The hazard warning flashers light up during unlocking/locking
> ))
An acoustic signal sounds during unlocking/locking.
> ))\\\
The hazard warning flashers light up and an acoustic signal sounds during unlocking/locking.
> off
The function is deactivated.
My E92 does not show either line dealing with the acoustic signal.

Must you have the factory alarm system for the acoustic signal to show as an option?

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      01-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #22
rrandyy
Captain

You need the alarm in order to have the acoustic signal option.

As far as the 3 options listed for 2 features, I believe you can select 1 of the 3 options-- a, b or a&b. So if you want to do both a and b, you have to select the third option.

Edit: I'll check and post again if this isnt the case.