E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > When doesn't the radio automatically shut off with CA?

01-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #23
ksfrogman
Major General

Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
The way the car is set up makes the most sense to me. Say you arrive at your destination, shut the engine off, walk outside the car, but still want to listen to your music? Well, you can. If you are leaving your car, then lock it by placing your finger(s) on the handle ridges. Your stereo will shut off when the doors lock.

If you want the stereo off, but want your doors to remain unlocked, just press the Start/Stop button one more time. You already press that button once when you turn your engine off. Just push it again. End of story.
      01-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #24
rrandyy
Captain

Drives: E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
The way the car is set up makes the most sense to me.
You've obviously never had passive locking. Whats the advantage to the doors not automatically locking and the radio turning off? Seriously, when was the last time you turned your car off, got out, closed the door and sat there to listen to the radio?
      01-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #25
rlc
Captain

Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '14 F15d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy
You've obviously never had passive locking. Whats the advantage to the doors not automatically locking and the radio turning off? Seriously, when was the last time you turned your car off, got out, closed the door and sat there to listen to the radio?
When's the last time you parked and ran into a store and left your wife/gf in the car listening to the radio? Or you stayed in the car listening to the radio while someone else runs in the store?

We can run scenarios all day, but I'm with Frogman - this is not difficult stuff. If you want everything off you can either press the button twice or HOLD the button in until everything turns off - about 2 seconds, then get out of the car and touch the door handle ridges as you walk away.
      01-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #26
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal

Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
I agree with rlc and ksfrogman.

Like most other topics this one has been discussed before. There simply is no one action that says, definitively, that the doors should be locked. As rlc said there are numerous scenarios that say the doors should not passively lock.

Perhaps there could/should be a setting for passive locking, but even then I suspect people will find their doors locking when they don't want them to lock - and that may even lead to discontent and complaints.

So if you want the doors locked, touch the ridges. No ambiguity there.
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
PiperD is offline   Canada
      01-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #27
rrandyy
Captain

Drives: E92 328

To me, this is similar to saying "the fob's buttons could be pressed while inside your pocket, so everyone should have to use a physical key to unlock their doors".

Yes, you can have a spouse inside the car when you walk away. But there are weight sensors on the front seats. And the car would know "passenger door opened, 130lbs on front seat, seatbelt was secured, car started, car turned off, passenger weight still there, seatbelt still fastened, door never opened, DONT PASSIVELY LOCK THE DOORS.

Seems simple, no? Its simply a matter of convenience. Yes, I agree ridges are easy to touch. But its even easier to not touch them.

Ideally, passive locking could be optionally disabled through idrive.
      01-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #28
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
It WOULD be best if there were a way to select passive locking. Just as it would be best if there was an option to set an acoustic signal to sound when locking the car even if you don't have an alarm system.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States