E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JBL MS-8 Processor Integration Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #243
austinjsb8
Private
8

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 83
iTrader: (2)

Hey guys, quick and likely dumb question: where can I find the cd changer trim piece online? I've just recently installed the MS-8 with Technic's awesome harness (and lots of his help... thank you, could not have installed without the help), and I've decided to get the changer trim to mount the unit in. I've looked and searched parts websites and can't seem to find it? Tell me I don't have to go to the dealer for it...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #244
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,149
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjsb8 View Post
Hey guys, quick and likely dumb question: where can I find the cd changer trim piece online? I've just recently installed the MS-8 with Technic's awesome harness (and lots of his help... thank you, could not have installed without the help), and I've decided to get the changer trim to mount the unit in. I've looked and searched parts websites and can't seem to find it? Tell me I don't have to go to the dealer for it...
I have to tell you what you are telling me not to tell you.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #245
austinjsb8
Private
8

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 83
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I have to tell you what you are telling me not to tell you.
I was afraid of that!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #246
javaperson
Private
1

 
Drives: 2010 E90 328i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norcal


Posts: 93
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
how will the sound in my car be, if i have a 09 e92 without logic 7, and i bought this jbl ms-8? (i'm a newb btw) I'm just looking for my sound to be more defined and clearer.
I was hoping to skimp with just the MS-8 as well, but I ended up replacing the underseat woofers, adding tweeters ('10 e90 came without them), and replacing rear shelf with co-axials. A center channel will help with imaging if you plan to enable Logic7.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #247
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
132

 
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, New York


Posts: 7,271
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaperson View Post
I was hoping to skimp with just the MS-8 as well, but I ended up replacing the underseat woofers, adding tweeters ('10 e90 came without them), and replacing rear shelf with co-axials. A center channel will help with imaging if you plan to enable Logic7.
i don't have logic 7 just the hi fi
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #248
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
132

 
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, New York


Posts: 7,271
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
The MS-8 can do only so much with inferior speakers. You can try it but you will probably end up replacing the front door speakers and the underseat woofers, at a minimum. Putting in a center channel with the MS-8 is also highly recommended.
what center ch u recommend?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #249
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,149
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
what center ch u recommend?
I used this Slick 4 with an MS-8 internal amp for a customer, it sounded pretty good for $40 a pair: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477443
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #250
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
132

 
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, New York


Posts: 7,271
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
you think by replacing that and the ms-8, that would get me a decently more clear and soothing sound to my hi-fi audio in the car?


you have a link to where you bouught them? so you bought 2? one goes in the front where does the other go?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #251
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,149
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
you think by replacing that and the ms-8, that would get me a decently more clear and soothing sound to my hi-fi audio in the car?


you have a link to where you bouught them? so you bought 2? one goes in the front where does the other go?
Sonic Electronix... it is in the same link. It sounds pretty good with the MS-8 as a center speaker.

I only used 1, the other is still in the box. You can have it for $20 plus shipping...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #252
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
132

 
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, New York


Posts: 7,271
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Sonic Electronix... it is in the same link. It sounds pretty good with the MS-8 as a center speaker.

I only used 1, the other is still in the box. You can have it for $20 plus shipping...
aghhh, i might take you up on that offer, so you have the hi-fi like me with that upgraded center ch, and ms-8. Would you say it has made your audio more clear and defined, and when played at greater volume, the sound doesn't get all static/unsoothing to the ear?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #253
austinjsb8
Private
8

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 83
iTrader: (2)

Hey guys, just got me MS-8 installed and setup yesterday. This thing does amazing things to the sound system. Stage is now centered right in the middle of the dash. Solved the lack of mid-bass with some tweaking help from Technic. The ability to adjust the EQ is fantastic.

However, I am faced with one major dissapointment, and maybe it's user error... When using the AUX from the HU the sound quality is terrible. When i use the AUX directly from the MS-8 the sound quality is great, however i lose all head-unit and steering wheel functionality (volume, bluetooth connectivity, etc).

Anyway to solve this problem or am I stuck using only CD's for tunes...


Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #254
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
95

 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX


Posts: 3,065
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjsb8 View Post
Hey guys, just got me MS-8 installed and setup yesterday. This thing does amazing things to the sound system. Stage is now centered right in the middle of the dash. Solved the lack of mid-bass with some tweaking help from Technic. The ability to adjust the EQ is fantastic.

However, I am faced with one major dissapointment, and maybe it's user error... When using the AUX from the HU the sound quality is terrible. When i use the AUX directly from the MS-8 the sound quality is great, however i lose all head-unit and steering wheel functionality (volume, bluetooth connectivity, etc).

Anyway to solve this problem or am I stuck using only CD's for tunes...


Thanks guys.
Congrats! What exactly is the problem, is there noise or is it distorting? Are you using the headphone output of the portable MP3 player?

I had the same car as you with MS-8 and mine sounded very good through the car's AUX jack. You may also want to check the connections behind the aux jack as I remember having to wiggle mine once in a while when it got "scratchy".
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa XT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #255
austinjsb8
Private
8

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 83
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Congrats! What exactly is the problem, is there noise or is it distorting? Are you using the headphone output of the portable MP3 player?

I had the same car as you with MS-8 and mine sounded very good through the car's AUX jack. You may also want to check the connections behind the aux jack as I remember having to wiggle mine once in a while when it got "scratchy".
I am using the headphone jack out of an Ipod. I have not checked the connection to the jack (in the center consol), but i will do that tonight. The sound distorts when i turn the volume up to listening levels, and overall the sound just doesn't sound nearly as crisp as it does through the MS-8 AUX. I am hoping i can figure out how to fix this!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #256
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,149
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjsb8 View Post
I am using the headphone jack out of an Ipod. I have not checked the connection to the jack (in the center consol), but i will do that tonight. The sound distorts when i turn the volume up to listening levels, and overall the sound just doesn't sound nearly as crisp as it does through the MS-8 AUX. I am hoping i can figure out how to fix this!

Thanks.
Make sure that your AUX OEM input level is not maxed out. Max out the iPod volume and set the AUX input level in your OEM HU to no more than 2 "clicks' from minimum.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #257
austinjsb8
Private
8

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 83
iTrader: (2)

Hey guys, somehow fixed the AUX issue. I pulled out the jack in the arm rest, made sure the wires were secured and plugged it back in. Either this or the new setup settings for the MS-8 did the trick. I've got everything sounding fantastic now. Thought I'd post the setup since it seems to be sounding great... for now :

Logic 7 system no i-drive
Channel 1: FR High (Right L7 Door component)
Channel 2: FL High (Left L7 Door component)
Channel 3: FR Lo (right stock under-seat woofer)
Channel 4: FL Lo (left stock under-seat woofer)
Channel 5: Center (L7 4" with tweeter stolen from one of rear deck)
Channel 6: SL (Left door and deck speakers wired in series)
Channel 7: SR (Right door and deck speakers wired in series)
Channel 8: Sub1 (JL 10w6v2 sealed in trunk)

Amplification:
JL 500/5 powering:
Channels 1&2: 25w each
Channels 3&4: 100w each
Channel 8: 250 Watts
MS-8 powering 5,6,7

Setup configuration:
-Sub: 20hz subsonic/24db slope, 80hz/24db slope
-2-way fronts: 200hz Hi/lo/6db, 150hz HP/12db slope
-Center: 150 hz/12db slope
-Sides: 150 hz/6db slope
-Rear: None
-JL amp gains set to approximately 1/4 during setup, with JBL volume at -45. After setup JBL volume set to -6, I've increased the gains for channels 3&4 and the mid base is there, clean and tight. I also increased the sub gain slightly.

--> for some reason it won't let me input rears instead of sides. Even if i select sides: none. Should this matter?

Now I just have to mount the unit and clean up the trunk as right now there are wires everywhere and the amp is just laying on the floor next to sub... Debating whether or not i need the CD changer insert.

Couldn't have done any of this install or setup without Technic's harness and help.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #258
austinjsb8
Private
8

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 83
iTrader: (2)

I spoke to soon, still one remaining issue:

When the MS-8 unit and JL amp finally power down and turn off all of the speakers are making a quick, but quite loud "POP" sound. I am hoping once i clean up the wires laying everywhere this could solve this problem? Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Last edited by austinjsb8; 03-31-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #259
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
95

 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX


Posts: 3,065
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjsb8 View Post
I spoke to soon, still one remaining issue:

When the MS-8 unit and JL amp finally power down and turn off all of the speakers are making a quick, but quite loud "POP" sound. I am hoping once i clean up the wires laying everywhere this could solve this problem? Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas as to what could be causing this?
I have the same problem. I have not found a way around it. It must have something to do with the L7 amp outputs. I minimized the turn-on thump by setting the MS-8 turn-on delay to max (5 sec. I believe) but the turn off pop occurs a good 15 seconds after you shut the last door while the MS-8 is still on. I have gotten into the habit of manually turning down the MS-8 volume before I leave the car to minimize the loudness of the pop. If I forget, I can literally be 200 feet away from the car and still hear it...
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa XT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #260
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
96

 
VP Electricity's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon


Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (3)

Kai, what are you using for the RTO in your car?

And you, Austin?

I've had some bad TO pops with some MS-8s in other cars - not in BMWs, though.

I recall you can use the BMW RTO to shut down the aftermarket amp immediately upon the car going to sleep, and a DEI 528T to hold the MS-8 on for x seconds after the car goes to sleep. That way the pop out of the MS-8 goes into an amplifier which is shut down.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #261
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
95

 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX


Posts: 3,065
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Kai, what are you using for the RTO in your car?

And you, Austin?

I've had some bad TO pops with some MS-8s in other cars - not in BMWs, though.

I recall you can use the BMW RTO to shut down the aftermarket amp immediately upon the car going to sleep, and a DEI 528T to hold the MS-8 on for x seconds after the car goes to sleep. That way the pop out of the MS-8 goes into an amplifier which is shut down.
Ken, I originally used the power wire for the satellite cooling fan. I then switched to using pin 13 behind the HU with no improvement. I even tried connecting the TO lead of the MS-8 directly to the battery, and still the same thing. Therefore, the signal for the pop must be coming through the high-level inputs.

That delay circuit could work, but in my case the MS-8 internal amp drives 14 speakers out of 16, so the popping would not go away.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa XT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #262
austinjsb8
Private
8

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 83
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Kai, what are you using for the RTO in your car?

And you, Austin?

I've had some bad TO pops with some MS-8s in other cars - not in BMWs, though.

I recall you can use the BMW RTO to shut down the aftermarket amp immediately upon the car going to sleep, and a DEI 528T to hold the MS-8 on for x seconds after the car goes to sleep. That way the pop out of the MS-8 goes into an amplifier which is shut down.
Vp,

I am using PIN 13 on the back of the HU for the RTO. I have not tried anything else. Are you suggesting connecting the amp RTO to pin 13 instead of the MS-8's REM out connection? Then connecting the DEI 528T to the MS-8?

Mine also only happens when the MS-8 and amp are powering down, not when they comes on.

Last edited by austinjsb8; 04-01-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #263
oca123
Private First Class
6

 
Drives: db9, e92
Join Date: May 2010
Location: europe


Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFKnoL View Post
True enough. Since the driver is an upgrade from PSI, I don't have the relavent specs to build a proper box. I built this sealed box according to intuition and it really rocks. It goes pretty low (sub 30hz with all that power) but the trade off seems to be the sound that I want or overloading my electrical system.

Sigh, I guess there is always an alternator upgrade and the big 3.

But I should stop while I'm ahead and not hijack the thread. I mainly wanted to point out that the MS-8 will shutoff (probably upon a detection in voltage drop).
OK, this is weird. I've been experiencing the same exact issue. No "No DSP response" message.... MS8 just shuts off, and after 10 seconds it turns back on. Everything is bolted on tight, ground is good, etc.
The weakest link is an 80 amp resettable fuse (the ones that also act as an on-off switch) but it doesnt get triggered.

I can live with it - when I turn up the volume that high, its probably causing serious ear loss anyway - but I was wondering if you ever found out what was going on?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #264
Lanscar
New Member
2

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia


Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

I have just bought an 2011 build 325i sport edition which has the professional navigation, DVD, hard drive, internet etc but has just the "base stereo". Very poor sound if you ask me.

I am assuming that the base system will not have and amp in the back but will be powered just of the head unit. Is this correct?

I do want to upgrade the system using just the MS 8 for all power and processing.
I have searched but am not sure but does this mean I will need to have some sort of harness running from the head unit to the MS 8 in the back?
If there is a post on this already I have missed could you please link it.
Thank's

Edit Think I found my answer.

Last edited by Lanscar; 04-11-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST