E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JBL MS-8 Processor Integration Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #463
dukeandtheland
Private
 
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California - Chino Hills

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

I played with the MS8 settings a littble bit and actually re did the set up a few times, including the input set up. It appears that the everything is working the way it should now, including the GPS volume.

The thing about the igo primo is that it will lower the volume of the music that I am playing (not MUTE completely) and use only the rear channels for the music. By doing that, the igo primo volume will never be as 'loud' as the definition of 'loudness' should be, even if you have the guidance volume setting at max. If you try to turn off the music and listen to the guidance, it will be absolutely very loud by comparison. I still modified the sys.txt file to increase the gain on the guidance volume just to exert the efforts.

By playing with the MS8 settings, the volume now reached a good balance point between the music and the navigation, meaning, if I listen to the music at this volume and when the guidance kicks in, the volume is acceptable, without the need to turn up the volume knob.

There is no longer a need to mess with the center channel volume anymore -it's at the default now.

The thing that I need to point out is that, the installer who originally did the wiring for me connected ALL RCAs out of Dynavin to MS8. I know that the manual says use only two fronts and ignore all others, which I tried by using only two RCAs (these two happened to be connected to MS8's channel 3 and 4 originally by the installer). I moved these two from 3 and 4 and inserted into channel 1 and 2 and did the MS8 set up, everything was fine except that Bluetooth that I mentioned. That's why I ended up putting all RCAs back where they were originally and re did the set up. So now it works and I will just let it go.

When I was trying to use only two Front RCAs for MS8 input, I tested the two RCAs he put into channel 1 and 2 on MS8(taking all other ones out) and found that these two were not giving signals to MS8 that's how I found out the two RCAs on channel 3 and 4 worked. He did not label the RCAs so that's why I have to do this exluding game to find the real 'FL and FR' RCAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I have no experience with the Dynavin. However, it sounds strange that the BT info does not come through the front RCAs. You may want to check if the HU is configured properly. The GPS announcements are likely in mono so the processor sends them to the center. If they are not loud enough you may also check the settings on the Dynavin. You should not have to crank the center just to hear the GPS info, which surely will have a negative impact when listening to music.

Edit: The amp getting hot is quite normal. On a sunny summer day I can barely touch my amps (JL HD600/4 & Kenwood XR-4S)
dukeandtheland is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #464
Anakta
New Member
 
Drives: E90 2006
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norway

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Hey guys,

No im finaly runing the ms-8 after my install project!

running
focal comp krs front
Focal cvx rear set
sws-8 4ohm

They are running on my pdx-5 amp.

My center speaker running on the ms8 amp.


I got sound after calibration. But its far from optimized.

Can anyone tell me how i can get started with finetuning the system?
im kinda a beginner:P be nice =)


Another issue is that i cant choose rear speakers? they only show up as side?
Anakta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #465
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,914
iTrader: (5)

^^^

Mapping:
CH1: FL Hi (Focal KRS)
CH2: FR Hi (Focal KRS)
CH3: FL Lo (SWS-8)
CH4: FR Lo (SWS-8)
CH5: C
CH6: SL (Focal CVX)
CH7: SR (Focal CVX)
CH8: empty

Front 2-way (KRS & SWS-8)
Center 1-way
Sides 1-way

Crossovers:
Subsonic (hi-pass): 20Hz 24 dB/oct
Front lo/hi: 150Hz 24 dB/oct
Center lo/hi: 150Hz 24 dB/oct
Sides lo/hi: 150Hz 24 dB/oct
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > JL Audio HD600/4 > (3) Hybrid Audio L3SE & (2) Rainbow Cal25; JL Audio HD900/5 > (2) Morel HCW-10 & (1) IDMax 15
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #466
Anakta
New Member
 
Drives: E90 2006
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norway

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
^^^

Mapping:
CH1: FL Hi (Focal KRS)
CH2: FR Hi (Focal KRS)
CH3: FL Lo (SWS-8)
CH4: FR Lo (SWS-8)
CH5: C
CH6: SL (Focal CVX)
CH7: SR (Focal CVX)
CH8: empty

Front 2-way (KRS & SWS-8)
Center 1-way
Sides 1-way

Crossovers:
Subsonic (hi-pass): 20Hz 24 dB/oct
Front lo/hi: 150Hz 24 dB/oct
Center lo/hi: 150Hz 24 dB/oct
Sides lo/hi: 150Hz 24 dB/oct
Thanks for info. Ill try that in the morning:-)

Should i do anything with the amp gain or filters? Havent touched em yet
Anakta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #467
beemarman
Private
 
Drives: BMW X6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

Advise on how to setup my system please:

Car: BMW X6

Speakers:Focal vrs, Jenhert 8 inch midbass and 12w7 sub

Amp: 1 JL HD600/4 and 1 JL 750/1


Output 1: FL- connected to JL HD 600/4 4 inch component with crossover)

Output 2: FR – connected to JL HD 600/4 (4 inch component with crossover)

Output 6: FL –JL HD 600/4 (8 inch mid bass )

Output 7: FR – JL HD 600/4 (8 inch mid bass)

Output 5: Centre – JBL internal amp

Output 3: RL – JBL internal amp

Output 4: RR – JBL Internal amp

Output 8: SUB – JL 750/1

Questions:

1. How do I setup the crossover and the JL amp? Do I select 1 or 2 way during the setup? Do I leave the 4 channel amplifier crossover to High Pass?

2. Is it easier to setup first without the subwoofer and then add the sub after setup

3. What would be the recommended crossover for my setup?
beemarman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #468
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,914
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarman View Post
Advise on how to setup my system please:

Car: BMW X6

Speakers:Focal vrs, Jenhert 8 inch midbass and 12w7 sub

Amp: 1 JL HD600/4 and 1 JL 750/1


Output 1: FL- connected to JL HD 600/4 4 inch component with crossover)

Output 2: FR – connected to JL HD 600/4 (4 inch component with crossover)

Output 6: FL –JL HD 600/4 (8 inch mid bass )

Output 7: FR – JL HD 600/4 (8 inch mid bass)

Output 5: Centre – JBL internal amp

Output 3: RL – JBL internal amp

Output 4: RR – JBL Internal amp

Output 8: SUB – JL 750/1

Questions:

1. How do I setup the crossover and the JL amp? Do I select 1 or 2 way during the setup? Do I leave the 4 channel amplifier crossover to High Pass?

2. Is it easier to setup first without the subwoofer and then add the sub after setup

3. What would be the recommended crossover for my setup?
See post above yours. Only difference is you add another crossover for the sub. I would use 60Hz, 12db/oct. All amp crossovers OFF.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > JL Audio HD600/4 > (3) Hybrid Audio L3SE & (2) Rainbow Cal25; JL Audio HD900/5 > (2) Morel HCW-10 & (1) IDMax 15
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #469
beemarman
Private
 
Drives: BMW X6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
See post above yours. Only difference is you add another crossover for the sub. I would use 60Hz, 12db/oct. All amp crossovers OFF.

Hi,

Thanks, it sounds so much better with your settings.
beemarman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #470
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
 
Drives: R35 GT-R
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK

Posts: 538
iTrader: (0)

I have a 2011 535i with the premium stereo (HK). I've been researching and I'm thinking about trying to tackle this job. I currently have a 12" JL with a JL amp that I installed myself. I'm a little confused though.... To use Technic's harness, do I have to pull the head unit out? Thought I read that somewhere...or does it just install in the trunk where the amp and MS-8 go? Also, I'm not quite sure what to use as a remote wire. I think I just used a speaker wire out for my pac loc and amp. You guys have any experience with the new 5 series?
__________________
PhiDeltBeers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #471
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,849
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
I have a 2011 535i with the premium stereo (HK). I've been researching and I'm thinking about trying to tackle this job. I currently have a 12" JL with a JL amp that I installed myself. I'm a little confused though.... To use Technic's harness, do I have to pull the head unit out? Thought I read that somewhere...or does it just install in the trunk where the amp and MS-8 go? Also, I'm not quite sure what to use as a remote wire. I think I just used a speaker wire out for my pac loc and amp. You guys have any experience with the new 5 series?
No... if you are going to install a MS-8 in your HK what you could do is add a PAC TR4 to my harness and then you will have the remote turn on output right at the OEM amp.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #472
freestone
New Member
 
Drives: bwm 335i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: west coast

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Is the blue tooth echo problem now solved by the firmware update of turning off processing via the remote's mute button?
freestone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #473
PhiDeltBeers
Lieutenant
 
Drives: R35 GT-R
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK

Posts: 538
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
No... if you are going to install a MS-8 in your HK what you could do is add a PAC TR4 to my harness and then you will have the remote turn on output right at the OEM amp.
So, would I just tap the PAC tr4 into an input signal wire from your harness and then put the remote out wire (from PAC tr4) into the MS-8?
__________________
PhiDeltBeers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2011, 04:40 AM   #474
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,849
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
So, would I just tap the PAC tr4 into an input signal wire from your harness and then put the remote out wire (from PAC tr4) into the MS-8?
Yes, the harness has the 12V/ground and OEM amp woofer outputs ready available in a separate connector so a TR4 can be connected directly. Then you will have a remote turn on signal right at the OEM amp.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #475
taibanl
Brigadier General
 
taibanl's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

Posts: 3,316
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
For the lack of mid bass issue, see this post for my rendition of the kaigoss mod. Works wonders.
taibanl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #476
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,914
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
For the lack of mid bass issue, see this post for my rendition of the kaigoss mod. Works wonders.
Wow ok, I'm gonna have to try that. From what I remember though calibrating at -25db gave me funky results and I thought it was due to mic clipping so I never went lower...
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > JL Audio HD600/4 > (3) Hybrid Audio L3SE & (2) Rainbow Cal25; JL Audio HD900/5 > (2) Morel HCW-10 & (1) IDMax 15
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #477
taibanl
Brigadier General
 
taibanl's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

Posts: 3,316
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Wow ok, I'm gonna have to try that. From what I remember though calibrating at -25db gave me funky results and I thought it was due to mic clipping so I never went lower...
Right but in your case, all channels are amped correct?
taibanl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #478
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,914
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Wow ok, I'm gonna have to try that. From what I remember though calibrating at -25db gave me funky results and I thought it was due to mic clipping so I never went lower...
Right but in your case, all channels are amped correct?
Nope, rears and sides run in parallel off of MS8. How are yours connected?
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > JL Audio HD600/4 > (3) Hybrid Audio L3SE & (2) Rainbow Cal25; JL Audio HD900/5 > (2) Morel HCW-10 & (1) IDMax 15
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #479
taibanl
Brigadier General
 
taibanl's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

Posts: 3,316
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Rears and center off ms-8. ( no sides) with the planned biamp of the center.

At least you have 2 ohm rears though
__________________
taibanl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #480
cdgatti
Major
 
cdgatti's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KY

Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (4)

Does anyone know if the ms-8 will fit in the well where the stock amp normally sits? I see by the dimensions the ms-8 will physically fit, but wondering with rca's sticking out from both sides will there be enough room?
cdgatti is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #481
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,914
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Does anyone know if the ms-8 will fit in the well where the stock amp normally sits? I see by the dimensions the ms-8 will physically fit, but wondering with rca's sticking out from both sides will there be enough room?
Not sure. I have the cd changer trim so it sits above the OEM amp. But if the unit itself fits then you should be ok if you use RCA angle adapters.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > JL Audio HD600/4 > (3) Hybrid Audio L3SE & (2) Rainbow Cal25; JL Audio HD900/5 > (2) Morel HCW-10 & (1) IDMax 15
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #482
cdgatti
Major
 
cdgatti's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KY

Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Not sure. I have the cd changer trim so it sits above the OEM amp. But if the unit itself fits then you should be ok if you use RCA angle adapters.
Thanks! Good idea, forgot those existed but that should work great. Let me ask you another question if you don't mind.

I have a 4 channel amp (50 wpc into 4 ohm and 75 wpc into 2). I am debating running single channels to front BSW mids/tweeter and SSMB woofers OR bridging the 100 wpc to the SSMB and running the BSW fronts, rears and center off the MS-8.
cdgatti is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #483
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,914
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Not sure. I have the cd changer trim so it sits above the OEM amp. But if the unit itself fits then you should be ok if you use RCA angle adapters.
Thanks! Good idea, forgot those existed but that should work great. Let me ask you another question if you don't mind.

I have a 4 channel amp (50 wpc into 4 ohm and 75 wpc into 2). I am debating running single channels to front BSW mids/tweeter and SSMB woofers OR bridging the 100 wpc to the SSMB and running the BSW fronts, rears and center off the MS-8.
The ms8 worked great with my l7 mids and tweets (2 ohm) but it failed miserably with 4 ohm aftermarket widebanders. I guess you could try but I would not expect the BSW components to be nearly as efficient as the l7 ones.

I think you will need a more powerful 4 channel amp You know, I have an amp for sale that would be perfect for you!
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > JL Audio HD600/4 > (3) Hybrid Audio L3SE & (2) Rainbow Cal25; JL Audio HD900/5 > (2) Morel HCW-10 & (1) IDMax 15
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #484
cdgatti
Major
 
cdgatti's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KY

Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
The ms8 worked great with my l7 mids and tweets (2 ohm) but it failed miserably with 4 ohm aftermarket widebanders. I guess you could try but I would not expect the BSW components to be nearly as efficient as the l7 ones.

I think you will need a more powerful 4 channel amp You know, I have an amp for sale that would be perfect for you!
I know I know, and have been eyeing your Excelon!

The BSW are designed for stock replacement as you know, I think I measured them at like 2.5 ohm or 3 can remember for sure.
cdgatti is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST