E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can my e90 sedan fit a spare tire at the back?

06-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
mynewbmw
Private

Drives: e90

Can my e90 sedan fit a spare tire at the back?

I have 06 323i and was wondering if its possible to take out the whole tray piece in the trunk to fit in a spare tire. I have run flat atm but not planning on getting run flats for my winter wheels.
      06-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel

Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
I believe that due to the size of our rotors, we need a full size spare for our cars. So no, I don't believe a spare will fit in the storage compartment in the trunk.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops|19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
OlivaresAnthony is offline   United_States
      06-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

You can get a compact temporary spare from the E60. No, it will not fit under the trunk floor if that's what you're asking. It will have to go in the main trunk compartment and eat up trunk space.
      06-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Full size spare not needed, there are donut spares that work. See this thread, I got the same one, works fine on my E92. Note the tools can fit under the mat, but not the tire itself.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397113
      06-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
mynewbmw
Private

Wowow that really sucks!!! I love the idea of run flats but they are too expensive if I'm planning on upgrading my wheels to 18". Looks like I'll be stuck with my 16" RFT.
      06-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewbmw View Post
Wowow that really sucks!!! I love the idea of run flats but they are too expensive if I'm planning on upgrading my wheels to 18". Looks like I'll be stuck with my 16" RFT.
Why? There is still plenty of space in the trunk with the compact spare. Put the tools under the mat in the spaces designed for them, invert the wheel and store your spare oil, etc. in the dish. We just did a 5500 mile road trip for a month, with lots of stuff and it all fit in the trunk with the spare tire kit, including a computer bag. It looks worse in the pictures than it really is, space-wise.
      06-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
hubble bubble
Captain

Drives: 2008 335i

That highlights my biggest pet peeve of the e9x. Even if you force me to take delivery with those damned Run Flat Tires, please, please, please give me space under the trunk to put a full sized spare.
hubble bubble is offline   Canada
      06-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
granadablanca
Private First Class

Drives: E90 330i, AP1

I don't see why so many people are scared of losing their RFTs. They SUCK. I switched to real tires, it was a night & day difference and I'll never go back.

Chances are, you won't be dealing with a flat in the middle of the Australian outback any time soon anyway. There's dealers & tire shops everywhere, and you simply don't need a full-size spare to get a few miles. BMW knows this already, that's why they give you runflats to begin with.

I keep a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. That'll easily get me a few miles to a dealer or tire shop, at the very least. That's basically the exact same security RFTs offer, except with no trade-offs.

Last edited by granadablanca; 06-13-2010 at 07:52 PM.
granadablanca is offline   United_States
      06-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Saintor
Colonel

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubble bubble View Post
That highlights my biggest pet peeve of the e9x. Even if you force me to take delivery with those damned Run Flat Tires, please, please, please give me space under the trunk to put a full sized spare.
Couldn't have said it better. Lack of spare wheel space is my gripe #1 with BMW.
      06-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by granadablanca View Post
I keep a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. That'll easily get me a few miles to a dealer or tire shop, at the very least. That's basically the exact same security RFTs offer, except with no trade-offs.
Unless you get a blowout or bad cut, then you are stuck. But if you never drive in the boonies, away from assistance, it may be all you need. If not, a spare is a sensible solution.
      06-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
granadablanca
Private First Class

Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Unless you get a blowout or bad cut, then you are stuck. But if you never drive in the boonies, away from assistance, it may be all you need. If not, a spare is a sensible solution.
Funny, I posted this and then ran out to dinner. As I was driving away, it hit me..."dammit, someone's gonna mention a blowout"...lol.

You're right, of course, but the odds are still in my favor, as that's pretty rare (assuming you have decent tires and keep an eye on them). I've had flats before, but never a complete blowout. Knock on wood, but still.
granadablanca is offline   United_States
      06-14-2010, 02:46 AM   #12
mynewbmw
Private

Dude obvious i can tell it doesn't fit that's why i asked just in case I might be missing something maybe an add-on or a work around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
It's quite obvious that space will NOT fit a spare tire. If you do a search on the forum you will find many members use alternative ways to work around the spare tire. Of course, some experiences serve a good laugh and reminder to other members that safety and common sense are important when operating a motor vehicle.
      06-14-2010, 03:02 AM   #13
cstavaru
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

There is an OEM spare tire kit available for BMW e90 (search the forum), but it is not available in the US. It is available in Europe. Maybe it's available in Canada too.
      06-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
There is an OEM spare tire kit available for BMW e90 (search the forum), but it is not available in the US. It is available in Europe. Maybe it's available in Canada too.
Still doesn't fit the well. The only difference between this kit and the one sold by BavAuto is the BMW version has an alloy wheel, and the BavAuto uses a steel wheel. Otherwise, they are identical, same tire, same tools.
      06-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Still doesn't fit the well. The only difference between this kit and the one sold by BavAuto is the BMW version has an alloy wheel, and the BavAuto uses a steel wheel. Otherwise, they are identical, same tire, same tools.
I am seriously considering this set up:

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=E90+SPARE+KIT
      06-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
OC 335i
General

Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to OC 335i Send a message via MSN to OC 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post

Hey Marcus, Tischer sells this one:

Part #: PKSPARETIRE*
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...tegoryID=93066

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
OC 335i is offline   United_States
      06-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post

That's the one I bought -- very happy with it, especially after I discovered the tools all fit under the trunk mat in the recesses, including the jack!

If you store the tire "upside down", with the wheel dish facing up, you get back a bunch of the space for storage in the "dish" -- oil, compressor, what have you.

BTW, unless the have updated their picture by now, the tool kit you get is the official OEM issue BMW kit with scissor jack, speed wrench, and pre-set torque wrench. Not the one in the picture with the crank jack.

Last edited by chromisdesigns; 06-17-2010 at 06:35 PM.
      06-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
Silvr&Blk
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 E90 330i Jet Blk

I changed my tires to non-RFT's about 3 yrs ago after experiencing 2 bubbles on the sidewalls to the stock tires from potholes and rough roads. I bitched and moaned about the design pitfalls of RFT tires in prior posts. I now roll around w/ a can of fix-a-flat but do worry about blowouts on trips to LA. The spare options that other members have posted would give me better piece of mind.
Silvr&Blk is offline   United_States
      06-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
ENINTY
Banned

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I'll add my two cents since I've driven over 90,000 miles on non-runflat tires and actually hit road debris (twice) and lived to tell about it. I drive 800 miles a week.

I switched to non-RFTs and went to a +1 (18Ē) non-staggered set up so I could rotate tires front to back and side to side (depending on tread pattern). I went up a wheel size to get a stiffer sidewall thinking it would mimic the RFT sidewall stiffness. I keep a Contential Tire brand (from Tire Rack) inflation kit and a puncture repair kit in my trunk.

I live in the boonies in central Virginia with, egad, NO CELL SERVICE. Christmas night 2007 coming home from DC at 12:30 AM about 25 miles from home I hit something in the road on both left-side tires. I was hoping that I suffered no damage, but about 5 minutes later, ding! goes the flat tire monitor. Now at this particular time of night on Christmas my wife is three sheets to the wind and sitting in back with the dogs complaining about life (what else do wives do?), so no way was I going to stop and let Virginia's finest pull up and give be a sobriety test (I would have passed anyway). I decided to drive on home on the flat tire. The next morning when I got the car on the lift to check the damage (left rear), I finally found the hole in the tread, and the tire deflated in about 5 minutes (the air hit me in the face is how I found the hole) so I know the tire was at zero pressure for at least 20 miles.

The tires I had on the car were Yokohama W4S high performance all-season 235/40-18. The tires are rated "XL" load range, which gives an extra stiff side wall. Granted it was cold when this happened, but the tire really showed little sign of sidewall disintegrating, and I could feel no affect on handling at normal road speeds.

It really takes a lot to actually "blowout" a modern passenger car tire. If you hit something hard enough to actually blow out a tire, you'll probably have suspension damage to go along with it and won't be driving the car anyway.

You can live with non-RFT's and a tire repair kit. I also ride a motorcycle with, obviously, no spare and just a repair kit, and have never had an issue; why canít a car be the same way?
      06-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
mynewbmw
Private

Sounds really motivating and seeing how easy it is to repair a tire if its repairable. The kit you have does it come with some kinda air inflating device to pump air into the repaired tire on the spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I'll add my two cents since I've driven over 90,000 miles on non-runflat tires and actually hit road debris (twice) and lived to tell about it. I drive 800 miles a week.

I switched to non-RFTs and went to a +1 (18Ē) non-staggered set up so I could rotate tires front to back and side to side (depending on tread pattern). I went up a wheel size to get a stiffer sidewall thinking it would mimic the RFT sidewall stiffness. I keep a Contential Tire brand (from Tire Rack) inflation kit and a puncture repair kit in my trunk.

I live in the boonies in central Virginia with, egad, NO CELL SERVICE. Christmas night 2007 coming home from DC at 12:30 AM about 25 miles from home I hit something in the road on both left-side tires. I was hoping that I suffered no damage, but about 5 minutes later, ding! goes the flat tire monitor. Now at this particular time of night on Christmas my wife is three sheets to the wind and sitting in back with the dogs complaining about life (what else do wives do?), so no way was I going to stop and let Virginia's finest pull up and give be a sobriety test (I would have passed anyway). I decided to drive on home on the flat tire. The next morning when I got the car on the lift to check the damage (left rear), I finally found the hole in the tread, and the tire deflated in about 5 minutes (the air hit me in the face is how I found the hole) so I know the tire was at zero pressure for at least 20 miles.

The tires I had on the car were Yokohama W4S high performance all-season 235/40-18. The tires are rated "XL" load range, which gives an extra stiff side wall. Granted it was cold when this happened, but the tire really showed little sign of sidewall disintegrating, and I could feel no affect on handling at normal road speeds.

It really takes a lot to actually "blowout" a modern passenger car tire. If you hit something hard enough to actually blow out a tire, you'll probably have suspension damage to go along with it and won't be driving the car anyway.

You can live with non-RFT's and a tire repair kit. I also ride a motorcycle with, obviously, no spare and just a repair kit, and have never had an issue; why canít a car be the same way?
      06-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #21
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post

You can, obviously. But I had one blowout when some idiot forced me out of the lane and into a curb. No wheel or suspension damage, but the tire was toast.

The other way you can get a "sneak" blowout on BMW's, in particular, is that due to the rear camber, the tires wear unevenly on the inside edge, where it can be hard to spot. Sure "everyone" checks this (don't you?) but once it managed to get me on my old M3, and I blew a corded rear tire on US 1 between Santa Cruz and San Francisco. The last time I had checked the tires, I evidently didn't spot the bad area -- wear was uneven around the inside edge, as well as side-to-side. My fault, for sure, but with a spare and jack, no big deal to fix, and no tow needed.
      06-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
ENINTY
Banned

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewbmw View Post
Sounds really motivating and seeing how easy it is to repair a tire if its repairable. The kit you have does it come with some kinda air inflating device to pump air into the repaired tire on the spot?
Go to TireRack.com and look it up. It's an air pump with automatic dispensing of tire sealant. If you find a nail in the tire, you can either use the Conti inflator with the sealant, or pull the nail out and insert the puncture repair plug to seal the hole and use the Conti inflator just to inflate the tire (both of these methods are temporary repairs); any tire should be properly patched from the inside by a professional for a permanent repair.