E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tide detergent used as drug currency

09-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

Tide detergent used as drug currency

http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-...-drugs-2013-1/

Apparently folks are stealing Tide and trading it for cash and drugs at such a high rate that is has been given the street name "liquid gold."

Pretty good read which also goes into hood economics and American brand loyalty. Hopefully this hasn't been posted before as the article is about a year and a half old.
      09-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Devant
Banned

Drives: '11 M3

What you gonna do? Druggies are always finding something to cook up to get high.

At least they’ll be laundry fresh.
      09-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
P1et
Brigadier General

Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i

Dirty trick: go to Target and buy Tide. Swap the contents with cheap basic laundry detergent that buy from the Dollar Store. Take the Tide back to Target and get your money back.
      09-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
kscarrol
Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Dirty trick: go to Target and buy Tide. Swap the contents with cheap basic laundry detergent that buy from the Dollar Store. Take the Tide back to Target and get your money back.
Speaking from experience?
kscarrol is online now   United_States
      09-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devant View Post
What you gonna do? Druggies are always finding something to cook up to get high.

At least they’ll be laundry fresh.
I don't think they're getting high with it. Seems that since it is a high dollar-to-volume product they are stealing it and then selling it back to crooked stores or drug dealers who sell it to the stores. Those hood bodegas will apparently pay 5-10$ a bottle cash for it and not really ask where it came from. Then they resell it as inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Lol similarly I have a friend who always tops off his bottles of shampoo/detergent/whatever before he buys it. He contends that they're ripping you off with the air space even though the volume of the contents is listed on the bottle.
      09-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Devant
Banned

Drives: '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I don't think they're getting high with it. Seems that since it is a high dollar-to-volume product they are stealing it and then selling it back to crooked stores or drug dealers who sell it to the stores. Those hood bodegas will apparently pay 5-10$ a bottle cash for it and not really ask where it came from. Then they resell it as inventory.
Ah I see. I stand corrected. Bizarre story to say the least. But I guess it shows anything is fair game if crooks can make money on it.
      09-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Maestro
Captain

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

The criminals just found something that people would not associate with drug dealing, they hid the cash in tide, it would be hard for the police to claim drug proceeds with bottle of tide piled up. They could just claim they are one of those extreme couponers and it was their hoard of tide.

I have to give P&G lots of credit it is a great product and cleans better than anything i have ever used. My mon uses nothing else, we use to but I found since I have more professional job and do far less manual labor, my cloths do not get as dirty so you do not need the strength of tide.

Also, years back when Costco first start carrying tide they had the lowest price of any retailer, then over a period of years Costco slowly increased the price to the point they were now the highest, but most people never look at the price they just grab it. So we stopped buying it.

The other reason we stopped buying it is due to fact most cloths are not as well made and tide breaks them down faster so your close start to fall apart quicker with tide.

Not only do you pay more for tide it cause you to replace your cloths more often.

We do have tide in the house,m we just use it to clean our work cloths, from working on cars or doing yard work.
      09-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

don't snort tide, kids
      09-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Tide is so 2013
Tide pods is where it's at in 2014