E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HD radio retrofit for cars with iDrive?

06-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
hayabusa55
Private

Drives: 07 335i Sedan

HD radio retrofit for cars with iDrive?

Possible? I tried searching, but "HD" is too short.
      06-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General

Drives: E91 XDrive

No retrofit for 07. Been discussed. I would have done it if there was one. Considering using newer HU...
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
      06-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
hayabusa55
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
No retrofit for 07. Been discussed. I would have done it if there was one. Considering using newer HU...
What would have to be replaced?

I found this:

Note: Beginning with March 2007 production, all BMW models offer HD radio™ with multicasting, and HD radio™ can be ordered with Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI).

I think mine was built in April 2007. Maybe I can do it?
      06-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
What would have to be replaced?

I found this:

Note: Beginning with March 2007 production, all BMW models offer HD radio™ with multicasting, and HD radio™ can be ordered with Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI).

I think mine was built in April 2007. Maybe I can do it?
HD Radio was not standard, was a $350 option of a separate tuner in the trunk. There's no official retrofit for HD Radio, although I don't see a problem getting the parts, some coding and doing it.
Technic is offline   United_States
      06-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
hayabusa55
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
HD Radio was not standard, was a $350 option of a separate tuner in the trunk. There's no official retrofit for HD Radio, although I don't see a problem getting the parts, some coding and doing it.
Aren't you the guy who's retrofitting the CIC? Of course you won't seen any problems with that.

Are we talking about the $1000 IBOC thing?
      06-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Aren't you the guy who's retrofitting the CIC? Of course you won't seen any problems with that.

Are we talking about the $1000 IBOC thing?
Check with LKQonline for used parts, perhaps they have some HD Radio tuners in stock. Hopefully the install should be similar to the Sirius tuner, even the same connections.
      06-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
hayabusa55
Private

I just checked. Couldn't find anything, but I did find a nav screen for $200. Good to know.

Assuming I can find this part at a reasonable rate, how much should I expect to be charged for a reprogram?
      06-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I just checked. Couldn't find anything, but I did find a nav screen for $200. Good to know.

Assuming I can find this part at a reasonable rate, how much should I expect to be charged for a reprogram?
Some $100 at an Autologic shop; the dealer will not be able to do it.

You will need extra parts to install that tuner, as in fiber optic cables and connectors.
      01-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
ergoyo
Lieutenant

Drives: F30 335i

Following up on this thread, I found an IBOC tuner on ebay for $50 and I ordered the IBOC antenna splitter from Tischer.

Good news so far is that the IBOC unit's MOST connector accepts the CD Shuffler wrapped-up MOST connector meaning that half of the "ghetto retrofit" is concluded; however, I am stuck now since cannot figure out how to connect the antenna splitter. It does not work with the pink antenna connector used for the SIRIUS. I was hoping the splitter would take this pink connector and divide it up so that one went out to the Sirius and the other to the IBOC. The females and males just do not add up, plus they have customs grooves and pins so that they're not mixed up.

Can a fellow forum member with SIRIUS and IBOC units in the trunk be kind enough to show us with pictures etc how the connections are made? Not sure if the splitter somehow connects to either the bluetooth/traffic modules instead, etc.
      01-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 530xi / 2008 535xi

Ergoyo,

I am active on the E60 boards. I found this thread searching for IBOC retrofits.

I have an 07 E60 with IBOC, SAT and RTTI and an 08 E60 with SAT and RTTI.
I also have a spare IBOC I intend to install in the '08.

I know I need to order the splitter but not sure which part numbers for misc fiber cables and connectors and I have used NCS so I am sure I can get it coded. I was under the impression the splitter was for RTTI and IBOC - not too sure about where the sat rcv fits in.

I can snap some pics and maybe we can get this figured out.
NoQuarter is offline   United_States
      01-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #11
ergoyo
Lieutenant

OK, we're making progress here. The IBOC goes on the left side trunk trim right on top of the CD changer:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127340

So, having confirmed the IBOC does not go where the Sirius and Telematics go, the next question is:

What antenna connection does IBOC uses? I have the IBOC splitter but which antenna connection does it split? RTTI, where is this module? In the rear left trim there is no antenna leads as far as I know. Can this be what the S653 option is all about?? In other words, only factory-equipped HD radio setups have an antenna connection in the left trim? If it splits the RTTI signal then it doesn't use rear glass antenna signal.

As far as the NCS Expert coding, it's all covered here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1531147

So, listen up, we're this close to busting the whole myth about not being able of retrofitting HD Radio to 07-08 CCCs, we only need one last push here.

TECHNIC, VP ELECTRIC and TOM @ EAS Please all help here!!

Last edited by ergoyo; 01-13-2011 at 04:09 AM.
      01-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
ergoyo
Lieutenant

OK, not so many responses at once please!! Cant keep up with all of them at once...

Anyways, as for an update, I found a left trunk trim of an 07 e90 with professional audio with what seems to be an "H" type FAKRA connector (judging by the pink color). I am still puzzled since the IBOC module uses a black "A" type, and the splitter in the realoem diagram has one female A, one male A and one male K connector (for further guidance on FAKRA see http://www.imscs.com/smba.html). The male K connector says it is for "RADIO WITH IF". I think this is the signal for the RTTI, but where is the RTTI all along?? I know I have the Traffic Information option on my spec sheet but not sure which module is this.

So, not sure if the picture shows a real S653 option model or not, and what that H type would be for? Not for IBOC for sure.

At this point, for all of us (CCC with no S653), completing the hardware retrofit boils down to splitting the antenna connection for the Sirius (in the center of the trunk) via a TERK Antenna Splitter (as shown and available everywhere) since both the Sirius connection and the splitter use "H" connections, and reconnecting one split end to the Sirius module via another "H" female and to the IBOC via a "A" female. Hopefully, I'm just hoping that the Sirius connection does not have voltage since the IBOC expressly requires no voltage.

Ideas and comments are still welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by ergoyo; 01-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.
      01-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
ergoyo
Lieutenant

Additional update:

After more hours of research, I've come to determine that all the above is wrong.

The IBOC module connects directly to the Diversity AM/FM Antenna module via the black coax cable. In turn, the IBOC transmits the entire radio signal (FM, AM and HD Radio) to the CCC via the MOST.

So, this is what option S653 simply does: instead of having a direct connection from the diversity antenna to the CCC, it reroutes the antenna coax signal to the IBOC and it is the IBOC who feeds all three radio signals to the CCC via MOST.

I'll be starting the hardware portion soon for which I will need to disconnect the black coax connected to the DIV and replace it with a new coax connection to come down the left rear pillar to the trunk where it will connect to the IBOC who will already be connected to the CD Changer MOST. After that, I will try the AUDIOLOGIC recognition of the IBOC with Tom at EAS, and it that does not work, will then change the VO, and if that still doesnt work, then bring in NCS Expert. Hopefully, the AUDIOLOGIC should suffice.

The only other small doubt that I still have is RTTI. According to http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377711, the TI info should be fed by the IBOC to the CCC via the IBOC as well. However, when looking at the IBOC splitter I am still curious why does one splitted FRACA end is labeled "RTTI" ?? Where is this supposed to go and why? The specific FRACA adaptor does not seem to fit anywhere (including the back of the CCC), so I'll leave this splitter out in my preliminary installation and play it by ear.

I know once this is done the whole HD Radio Retrofit impossible myth will be debunked and we will have found the definitive upgrade at an affordable cost (assuming the IBOC is sourced from ebay,yard,etc.), and I am sure many other forum members will appreciate this yet hundreds read this thread over and over and don't really care about providing any helpful insight now, etc.
Attached Images

01-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

oops - didn't mean to abandon the thread. I kept waiting to get an email that the thread was active after I registered.

I am just starting to focus on this. I think I will first disconnect my SAT radio and add in the IBOC via the SAT connections. Once I get that connected and coded then I will know that I only need to determine how to get an antenna connection, a fiber connection and power.
      01-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #15
ergoyo
Lieutenant

Thanks for following up. Not sure if you had a chance to read the above, but you cannot connect the IBOC to the SAT Radio connection. First, because the SAT radio signal is coming from the sharkfin and second because the FAKRA connectors are different.
The IBOC connects to the Antenna Diversity Amplifier, and replaces the existing connection between the ADA and the HU since all radio signals will then be transmitted via the fiber MOST connection from the CD changer.
My only unanswered questions at this point, is what is the purpose of the splitter shown on the parts diagram. It does split the ADA signal into two, one to the IBOC and the other labeled as RTTI with a different FAKRA connector (khaki color). I do not know where does this go as I understand that the RTTI signal is already decoded by the HU along with the rest of the FM data, so where does this splitted RTTI connection beats the heck out of me. Trying to get my hands on a wiring diagram for the 07-08 Pre-LCI which shows the antenna wirings.
So, the replacement coax antenna I will be running will go straight to the center trunk bay where I will have the IBOC and the Sirius tuners together. I will also find a MOST fiber extension to connect to the CD changer's connector so I don't have to do any cutting of the wrapping around the changer's wires in the fender. I want to do everything to be 100% reversible with no evidence of any mods. And lastly, I will do the reconnection in the MOST junction box to incorporate the CD changer's fiber opticals into the MOST loop.
What were you doing regarding coding? I am curious if simple old AUDIOLOGIC would work to recognize the IBOC, vehicle ordering, etc.
We are so close to getting this done, although really bummed other forum members do not appreciate the value of this impossible retrofit myth buster...
      01-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Looks you are way ahead of me for sure. I couldln't use the SAT connectors as you said.

I plan to do the IBOC coding by changing the vehicle order (VO) to indicate that it has the IBOC as if it came from the factory.

I have been looking at my '07 with IBOC and it doesn't seem very helpful at all. The extra harness in the trunk for the IBOC comes from a bundle that disappears into the mess. I would have to take more of the interior apart to track it further. The only rear mystery it seems is the aerial. The power can easily be tapped and fiber loop we should be able to take apart the SAT fiber plug and insert a new section of fiber into the loop.

- Take apart the SAT fiber plug and splice a new section of fiber into the OUT

- Connect this new section to a new plug that fits the IBOC unit IN port

- Take the exisitng faber that was connected to the SAT and insert into the new IBOC plug OUT port.

I will get the plug and fiber section ordered as well as the mounting bracket.

but the aerial..... that splitter in the diagram is a mystery because it is not used in my '07 factory installed IBOC.

My SA is pretty helpful so I wll ask him to do some looking into how he would go about installing an IBOC unit into a car that was not wired for it.
      01-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
ergoyo
Lieutenant

Don't order any plugs just yet, there's another twist I just came around to last night.

The IBOC uses a fiber connector that is different than the connector for CD Changer and for SAT (these two use the same). In the TYCO diagrams attached, note that the CD changer and SDARS use the "A" Code's 1-1350090-2 body connector and the 1-1355639-1 cable connector. The IBOC in turn has the "B" Code's 2-1350090-2 and the 2-1355639-1 cable connector. I only realized this when I retried plugging the CD Changer/SAT cable to my IBOC and I realized that the plug did not go in because the little internal grooves on the IBOC faces out and the other two's face in. Compare both Code A and B in the tech diagram attached. You should also be able to confirm this by reading the number off in your cable connector to your IBOC in your '07.

I also found this other forum thread where they installed Sirius in a non-sat prepped car (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=246810), here they even created a fiber extension, added connectors, provided parts numbers, etc. It is very helpful, especially because of the part numbers, but keep in mind that the connector housings for IBOC and SAT/CDCh are different, so we may have to do a bit more research to find the right BMW-equivalent part. It is also helpful as you don't have to splice anything. By making the extension it can still be done PnP.

In order to be sure that your '07 does not have the splitter we'll need to see whether the aerial as it comes down the C pillar and into the fender does not get split up. If you could look into that it would be super helpful, i.e., do you have a straight line between the aerial and your iboc or is this line split up at some point in the middle and the RTTI out comes in.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ENG_CD_1355639_C1[1].pdf (69.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: pdf ENG_CD_1355090_C4[1].pdf (204.9 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by ergoyo; 01-23-2011 at 05:53 PM.
      01-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #18
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

If the aerial is getting split it is somewhere I havn't gotten to yet.

Tracing my SAT, IBOC, and TCU aerials in the fender they have individual runs all the way into the large bundle thats comes down the pillar.
      01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
ergoyo
Lieutenant

What you can do is read the codes labeled on the coax coming out from the diversity amplifier so you can distinguish it in the bundle below. I found out that each coax has individual codes and dates stamped on them. See if that works.

So, after I unplugged and plugged back again this coax from my diversity I started having a very low static noise coming through all my speakers which doesn't seem to go away. Good thing is that it doesn't amplify when volume is up and I don't hear it anymore. Its bugging though.
      01-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

That other DIY for the SAT retrofit was a good resource. I like the idea of using the MOST junction block.

I didn't think about needing fiber tools like a crimper and polisher.

I'll confirm the IBOC plug part number.
      01-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Here is a pic of the connectors for the IBOC:

This is the aerial and the fiber/power connector.
The number on the connector is 1-1355084-2 E
Name:  DSC04745.JPG
Views: 4672
Size:  65.1 KB

Here the fiber/power connector has been taken apart
Name:  DSC04747.JPG
Views: 4679
Size:  80.7 KB
      01-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #22
ergoyo
Lieutenant

What is the part number(s) on the side of the fiber outside housing?