E90Post

Evolve Automotive

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HD radio retrofit for cars with iDrive?

01-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #23
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 530xi / 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoyo View Post
What is the part number(s) on the side of the fiber outside housing?
All the fiber looks to be the same - but they do have a label that matches their use. The IBOC fiber says IBOC on it and the amp has a fiber that says HIFI. I didn't take it apart to get a full number - it's just the green fiber.

I took down the rear center brake light cover to get to the bottom of the shark fin.

Looks like I have 4 aerials coming out it - Pink, Grey, Red, Blue

Going to see the parts guy tomorrow and see how helpful he is and talk to my SA and see who he has that does the fiber repair work.
Attached Images

NoQuarter is offline   United_States
      01-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
ergoyo
First Lieutenant

Drives: e70 x5d

Those aerials coming out of the sharkfin are for the TCU, Phone, SAT, etc. None of those are for the IBOC.

The IBOC coax comes out from the antenna diversity amplifier module (on my diagram above). It is the only coax coming out of it and it also has a black connector (FAKRA A). What I meant was try to read the code stamped/labeled on the side of that cable coming out of the Diversity module so you can then identify it as it comes down to the C pillar and distinguish it from the four you have in the picture.

This stamped code should match the same code on the coax on your fender where the IBOC connects (and if not, could it be that the line is then split?)

What I meant by the outside housing was the actual MOST connector (black and which connects to the IBOC) you had in your hand. Not really sure what you said about HIFI/IBOC labels??

Last edited by ergoyo; 01-24-2011 at 09:27 PM.
      01-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Hmm - the black cable in my hand is the aerial that you are asking me trace. The MOST connector is the green fiber correct?

The labesl I mentioned were on the green fibers - we had some confusion becaue you asked me to trace the wire via the labels but you said "fiber".

Ain't technical discussions via delayed testing fun?

I see the aerial is really the only unknown here. I'll keep seeing what I can figure out. I do have some family stuff in the evenings the next couple days so i will get back here when I have something for us to go on.
      01-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #26
ergoyo
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Here is a pic of the connectors for the IBOC:

This is the aerial and the fiber/power connector.
The number on the connector is 1-1355084-2 E
Attachment 478074

Here the fiber/power connector has been taken apart
Attachment 478073
Are you positive this is the aerial for your iBOC? This is a "H" Fakra connector just like the one for my SAT.

Unlike the SAT, my IBOC does not accept this violet connector, instead it takes a black "A" type Fakra. Are our IBOCs different?
      01-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #27
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Are you positive this is the aerial for your iBOC? This is a "H" Fakra connector just like the one for my SAT.

Unlike the SAT, my IBOC does not accept this violet connector, instead it takes a black "A" type Fakra. Are our IBOCs different?
Yes - That photo is of the plugs I removed from my IBOC. The aerial wire looks identical to the SAT except for the plug has the tabs in the wrong place.

Here is a wire diagram I found that shows the splitter:
Attached Images

01-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #28
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

What do you think of this:

Original configuration - No IBOC
1) Antenna Tuner NA8 has an aerial that goes straight to the CCC N38A (rear window to the front dash)

New Configuration -with IBOC
1) The IBOC requires the splitter in order to continue to send the RTTI info straight to the CCC
2) The splitter is normally installed directly attached to the back of the IBOC then split into 2 outputs.
3) The problem is that the input aerial is going to the front dash and NOT into the rear fender
4) If we install the splitter near NA8 (rear window) we can connect NA8 to the splitter input with new piece of short coax
5) We take the existing coax that goes to the dash and connect to a Splitter output
6) We run a new coax from the other splitter output from the rear window to the fender
      01-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #29
ergoyo
First Lieutenant

Hmmm. Not too sure.
First, I am still trying to make any sense of the diagram above, and wondering whether it is specific for e60s. Can't figure out what the W9110.1 connections stand for, or why isn't that IBOC showing with a MOST connection unlike the other 2 modules that go to the Digital Tuner? Is the CCM in broken lines supposed to mean it is an alternative to the DT ?? Confused.

In any event, I'm still spinning wheels with the splitter because of the FAKRA connectors on it. As I mentioned above, as I see it the splitter connects to the Diversity (confirmed - same type "A" connector); the first output is another "A" connector and this connects to my IBOC (confirmed too - however, your IBOC does not have a "A" black FAKRA but instead has a PINK/VIOLET FAKRA "H" like the one for SAT. Right there we have a huge discrepancy in both of our equipment ??; the second output has a "K" Fakra (khaki) and it is labeled RTTI.

This is where everything comes to a stop. WHERE DOES THIS K Fakra GOES beats the hell out of me. I don't think it goes back to the CCC because the CCC does not have a K adaptor, it only has a "A" like the one that comes out from the Diversity, and like the one the IBOC takes.

Also, as far as I recall, once all radio signals are processed by the IBOC and it feeds these to the CCC via the MOST FIBER (CD changer's), the CCC should decode the RTTI signal which comes embedded with the FM signal, therefore, no need for a dedicated coaxial RTTI.

That's the dilemma I have; however and regardless, I already ordered a 1.5 mt FAKRA A coaxial from China to connect the IBOC and the diversity. I will simply disconnect the existing connection at the diversity, and connect this new extension straight to the IBOC. I do need to find the MOST connector for the IBOC (to replace the existing on the CD Changer's), and then run the autologic and see how that plays out. That will be the moment of truth. In other words, I will try it with the CCC having no coax signal of any kind and everything being fed in via MOST. We'll see...
Attached Images

01-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #30
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

why isn't that IBOC showing with a MOST connection unlike the other 2 modules that go to the Digital Tuner?

** The 2 MOST connections are shown on the IBOC diagram

Is the CCM in broken lines supposed to mean it is an alternative to the DT ?? Confused.

** The CCC/M-ASK is the radio (CCC)

your IBOC does not have a "A" black FAKRA but instead has a PINK/VIOLET FAKRA "H" like the one for SAT.

** True but the pink SAT plug doesn't fit on my IBOC.

WHERE DOES THIS K Fakra GOES beats the hell out of me. I don't think it goes back to the CCC because the CCC does not have a K adaptor, it only has a "A" like the one that comes out from the Diversity, and like the one the IBOC takes.

** I think all the diagrams do say it goes to the CCC

Also, as far as I recall, once all radio signals are processed by the IBOC and it feeds these to the CCC via the MOST FIBER (CD changer's), the CCC should decode the RTTI signal which comes embedded with the FM signal, therefore, no need for a dedicated coaxial RTTI.

** Perhaps the navigation part of the CCC can't get to the RTTI signal via the MOST? RTTI works with the navigation unit whether one has a CD changer, SAT tuner or IBOC. Maybe that is why we need to split it and send a copy of it straight to the CCC ???

I am about to do a test install in my glove box where the CD changer would go. It has almost everything we need - MOST, power and an aerial that is currently in the CCC. At a minimum I expect to get it to connect without an RTTI signal to the CCC. If it connects and I get it coded, then I'll decide what to do with the RTTI signal.

I think we are close!
      01-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #31
ergoyo
First Lieutenant

OK, so the two MOST connections coming out of the "Digital Tuner" (which is the IBOC itself) are the In and the Out? Now, I see it.

So, in order to properly split my aerial coaxial I will have to do it on the roof and right next to the diversity, that way, one of the outputs goes to the IBOC via the new coax I'll be running down the C pillar while the second output reconnects to the original antenna signal to the CCC. I think this is the easiest way. I will then buy an "A" connector and replace the "K" on the splitter.

Good luck on your end!!
      01-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #32
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Name:  DSC04806.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  181.7 KB

I installed mine where the CD changer would go behind the glove box.

I disconnected the FM antenna (#11 in you radio diagram) and extended it a couple feet with universal aerial cables from Best Buy.

Name:  DSC04802.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  284.9 KB

I used the plug adapter that is stored in the glove box that is used for the CD changer. It is the same one that is used on the SAT radio also. In order to make it fit, I cut off the tiny bit of plastic in the corner where it slides on

Name:  DSC04770.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  68.5 KB

I coded the car and everything works. Now that it does, I will work on splitting the aerial to go back to the radio (#11) to keep RTTI.

Last edited by NoQuarter; 01-29-2011 at 09:10 PM.
      01-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #33
ergoyo
First Lieutenant

Dude, you made it CONGRATULATIONS!!
I haven't been able to do anything else since busy at work.
What did you do exactly for the coding? Tool, option, etc?
So, all your radio feed is being sent by the IBOC to the CCC via the MOST?
You sure you have no TI (traffic info) now?

Last edited by ergoyo; 01-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.
      02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #34
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Dude, you made it CONGRATULATIONS!!
I haven't been able to do anything else since busy at work.
What did you do exactly for the coding? Tool, option, etc?
So, all your radio feed is being sent by the IBOC to the CCC via the MOST?
You sure you have no TI (traffic info) now?
I do my own coding using NCS Expert and it was a pretty simple process to get the HD module recognized. Here is a good place for you to learn more:

http://forums.5series.net/topic/106042-car-coding/
http://forums.5series.net/topic/1080...ert-code-mods/

So all the AM/FM now gets to the radio via the MOST fiber connection. I am not getting an RTTI signal so in order to get that back I need to split the aerial coax and get a copy of the signal back to the original FM aerial input.

My frankenstein like cables/adapters works but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing how cheesy the connection is. Splitting and connecting another cable back to the radio will add to the mess. I am having a heck of a time finding euro spec cables. You can see in my pics I have euro-to-american standard adapters then an american extension. I want a euro-euro set of cables.

I think I am just going to try and use a generic FM splitter. I can't imagine the BMW one is doing much special. I only read that it doesn't do a 50-50 split of the signal - I think the RTTI is a smaller signal and more of the power gets passed to the IBOC unit.

The IBOC unit fits really well in the CD changer spot. I'm satisfied overall but want to get the euro cables figured out.

On the functionality: Before the IBOC, the FM radio had an "All Stations" feature which was pretty cool. The IBOC trades that for an "AutoStore" feature which seems a little less helpful. One has to initiate the scan and store of channels whereas with the "All Channels" it constantly kept up with new channels and getting rid of the old when traveling long distances.
      06-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #35
wickedgtr
Private

Drives: '07 335i dead / 09 335i

I am planning on performing the retrofit soon. I have the tuner, but I am trying to find the correct splitters/hardware to install. I would really like to be able to acquire the correct MOST cable w/power - but that's not required.

I was wondering if you guys have any more info towards your retrofit.

I pulled the cover under the diversity and check the Fakra connector -- its the same type as on the HD Receiver (type A). Has anyone been able to find a Fakra "A" Splitter then the required extension for the trunk location?

The BMW one, and its odd K-type as you listed above doesn't make sense.

Splitter - to Head Unit cable / to HD Receiver Cable / to Diversity Antenna

'Jack'- to Head Unit
'Plug'- on Diversity Antenna
'Plug' - on HD-Receiver

I guess this means I need a Fakra A plug/plug/jack splitter, and a jack-jack cable or Fakra A plug/jack/jack splitter, and a plug-jack cable.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
      06-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #36
wickedgtr
Private

No offense 1 cable for $50 is not a good deal. Considering most Cables are on ebay for ~10 shipped.

I'd be better off ordering the wire, the ends, and making my own.
      06-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #37
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

These cables are pretty easy and cheap to get from this supplier. I replaced my american adapter nightmare with the proper cables and added the BMW splitter and now have HD and RTTI working.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Just order whichever cable you want at the length/price stated. Tell them what length you really want in the notes then they will ask you to pay another $1 or $2 via Ebay and make whatever you want.

See here for more info:
My HD DIY
      06-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #38
wickedgtr
Private

Even the bmw Retail price for all the different antenna cables are $35.20.

Meaning, there are at least 4 dealership that do online orders for ~20% under retail = 28.16 + shipping.

I understand making some money for doing research and making things easier for people, but $50 for a single RF cable shipped is insane.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=65&fg=22

And, I have already found suppliers for all the parts. Once I determine the coax specs and if the RF splitter is doing an impedance match, or doing a more favorable split to one side, i.e. 1db loss to RTTI and 7db loss HD or the like. (3db loss per output + the insertion loss is usually around 3.5db). I plan on writing it up for everyone else.
      06-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #39
wickedgtr
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
See here for more info:
My HD DIY
What did you end up doing for the splitter ?

EDIT: nm, saw you purchased the bmw one.

can you tell me anything about the splitter? I am hoping to be able to help people make their own if its cheaper.

Last edited by wickedgtr; 06-09-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: reading...
      06-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #40
wickedgtr
Private

Also, thank NoQuarter for all your help, and the great write up.
      06-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #41
NoQuarter
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgtr View Post
What did you end up doing for the splitter ?

can you tell me anything about the splitter? I am hoping to be able to help people make their own if its cheaper.
Just that it isn't an equal 50/50 signal split. More like a 90/10 or something like that I forget. I know it only works the way I labeled the connectors. Swapping the IBOC output lead for the CCC output lead doesn't work.
      10-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #42
Bahnstorm
Like a Boss

Drives: 330xi

Bringing up an old thread here, but just curious about one thing. I have an 06 so no RTTI. I have Sat prep so can I cut the Sat FAKRA connector off that doesn't fit into the IBOC and put on the proper connector and then use that antenna for HDradio?

GermanCarsForSaleBlog.com
Finding the finest modern classic and vintage German cars for sale in North America.
      10-02-2011, 03:26 AM   #43
ergoyo
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnstorm View Post
Bringing up an old thread here, but just curious about one thing. I have an 06 so no RTTI. I have Sat prep so can I cut the Sat FAKRA connector off that doesn't fit into the IBOC and put on the proper connector and then use that antenna for HDradio?
You need to disconnect the existing antenna coaxial line from the diversity module in the roof and rerun a new coaxial line to the IBOC in the trunk. The IBOC should then feed the AM/FM (and HDs) to the HU via MOST. Another thing, please ensure the power and ground needle pins in the wrapped SAT ready bundle match up to the same slots in the IBOC harness.

What I am not so sure is whether your 06 HU will be compatible with the IBOC, and the coding will simply not recognize the IBOC. I know BMW changed something in their pre-LCIs HUs maybe in 07? in 08 for sure, where it was made essentially plug and plays for the HD Radio option.

Go ahead and try though, you have nothing to lose.
      10-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #44
Bahnstorm
Like a Boss

Drives: 330xi

Ok, I'm going to fool with this. Is the only thing I need to code $653 to the CAS and FRM?

GermanCarsForSaleBlog.com
Finding the finest modern classic and vintage German cars for sale in North America.