E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Aggressive driving.

06-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
jayely1
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

Aggressive driving.

I was just curious, when you guys decide to push your car and corner aggressively when the desire comes, do you turn off DTC and DSC or just leave them both on or just leave on DSC? Not sure how safe it is turning off just DTC?
      06-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Dan in PA
Captain

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
It depends on what your limits are. I personally take DTC off and leave DSC on. It's a good idea to find a huge empty parking lot and get a feel for how the car handles in each mode.
      06-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
e92justin
LCpl

Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Keep driving this way and one day youll regret driving your bimmer like a teenager in a fast and furious honda civic.
e92justin is offline   United_States
      06-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
fruition3000
Captain

Drives: Down Ocean Drive

When I am doing 85 on tight backroads, seeing all the trees and telephone poles fly by me makes me leave everything on. Don't turn it off unless you are in a place where there is a lot of pavement.
      06-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
jayely1
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruition3000 View Post
When I am doing 85 on tight backroads, seeing all the trees and telephone poles fly by me makes me leave everything on. Don't turn it off unless you are in a place where there is a lot of pavement.
Yeah thats what I usually do. It blinks at me sometimes keeping me in check

Quote:
Keep driving this way and one day youll regret driving your bimmer like a teenager in a fast and furious honda civic.
dumb remark.
      06-21-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Quote:
+1
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
      06-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
jayely1
Lieutenant Colonel

I just wasn't sure how far you could take it with DTC off, good idea to go in a empty parking lot and test her out!
      06-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
e92justin
LCpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Yeah thats what I usually do. It blinks at me sometimes keeping me in check

dumb remark.
ive "watched" people wreck '10 camaros, e46 m3s. doing stupid sh*t like this, i really wouldnt recommend it.
      06-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #9
jayely1
Lieutenant Colonel

You don't ever have fun driving your BMW? I bought it because it handles well and is a quick car...Im sure that influenced most of us to buy one...Why buy it if you never use it for what its intended for? Im not talking about going 120 around a bend man. CHILL
      06-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.

Drives: N54B30

Quote:
This. I will corner aggressively at times, but most times I am a docile driver (since I'm mostly on public roads during times of moderate-heavy traffic). When the time comes though, I just leave DSC on. I never thought a sedan could deliver smiles like this. Amazing.
      06-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Forcefed3
Banned

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
probably because you hangout with idiots. You dont know if hes a good driver, he could be a professional driver for all you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92justin View Post
ive "watched" people wreck '10 camaros, e46 m3s. doing stupid sh*t like this, i really wouldnt recommend it.
Forcefed3 is offline   No_Country
      06-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
gary88
Ikea enthusiast

Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
Public road = everything kept on for me.

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
gary88 is offline   United_States
      06-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag

Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
probably because you hangout with idiots. You dont know if hes a good driver, he could be a professional driver for all you know.
If he were a pro driver, he wouldn't be asking about DSC (no offense to the OP).

you can have plenty of fun without turning off DSC. I frequently hit the edge of traction around on and off-ramps, lightly squealing the tires without triggering the DSC. I've even gotten a small bit of slip angle without triggering the DSC. DSC will only be tripped if the car starts to get out of shape. basically - it interferes when you need it to.

If you really want to find the limits of your car sans DSC, take it to a track event, and get some driving instruction.
mike-y is offline   United_States
      06-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
jeremicium
Captain

Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Garage List
Agree with most on here. find a safe place to explore your cars limits. Go to a local car club car control/drivers skills clinic(BMWCCA or PCA) and drive with the safeguards turned off...and an instructor in your passenger seat. Then find some fun twisties and turn off DTC. DTC always kicks in before I need it to...and limits the fun. DSC is another story...I only do that in wide open spaces. As for E92justins concerns. With that mindset...why even drive a bimmer...? OP, the fact that your asking this question shows that you are concerned about not doing something stupid. Go about it with good judgement and caution...and have more fun! Justin...even though you don't have a 335...you can still have fun with your 328 with DTC off.
      06-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
beneliezer
Captain

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

just gonna throw my 2 cents out there...

last time i did some spirited driving at 60+ with DSC and DTC completely off, It caused me a lot of hearbreak and nearly $8k. Needless to say, I learned my lesson, payed my dues, and looking back at it, I can tell you I will never do it again unless im in an area where I couldn't possibly hit ANYTHING.

It only takes a split second or a minor mistake to lose control of the vehicle.
      06-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
aleckzandr
Major

Drives: 2009 n54 e92 xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [4.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
If he were a pro driver, he wouldn't be asking about DSC (no offense to the OP).

you can have plenty of fun without turning off DSC. I frequently hit the edge of traction around on and off-ramps, lightly squealing the tires without triggering the DSC. I've even gotten a small bit of slip angle without triggering the DSC. DSC will only be tripped if the car starts to get out of shape. basically - it interferes when you need it to.

If you really want to find the limits of your car sans DSC, take it to a track event, and get some driving instruction.
+1000

DSC improves your safety margin. Get pro/SCCA driving instruction to push your car (and yourself) without it. I highly recommend instruction/HPDE, it's super fun too.
      06-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
aleckzandr
Major

Drives: 2009 n54 e92 xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [4.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
Agree with most on here. find a safe place to explore your cars limits. Go to a local car club car control/drivers skills clinic(BMWCCA or PCA) and drive with the safeguards turned off...and an instructor in your passenger seat. Then find some fun twisties and turn off DTC. DTC always kicks in before I need it to...and limits the fun. DSC is another story...I only do that in wide open spaces. As for E92justins concerns. With that mindset...why even drive a bimmer...? OP, the fact that your asking this question shows that you are concerned about not doing something stupid. Go about it with good judgement and caution...and have more fun! Justin...even though you don't have a 335...you can still have fun with your 328 with DTC off.
Again, spot on.
      06-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
MOTO69JOE
Captain

Drives: E46, E90

The way I see it leaving DSC on wears out your rear brakes faster.
MOTO69JOE is offline   United_States
      06-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
youry
Enlisted Member

Drives: 355i Super Special Edition

I made a habit in turning both off once I get on the car and not because I am an aggressive driver but I hate sticky brakes.
      06-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
jayely1
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO69JOE View Post
The way I see it leaving DSC on wears out your rear brakes faster.
How?
      06-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #21
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
How?
DSC brakes individual wheels in the rear to simulate what LSD does in slippery situations.
      06-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #22
e92justin
LCpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
It has nothing to do with the type of car i drive, i dont know why you even mentioned that... ive just seen way too many nice cars pass away from getting loose and not knowing how to properly control the vehicle. Anyways, what im trying to say is its one expensive a*s car and you should take care of it instead of treating it like some sort of toy. As for you asking me why i drive a bimmer? im sorry that i choose not to push my car to its limits or lose traction because im a cautious driver.