Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question for owners in the North East.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
RyBMW
Major
Rep

Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Question for owners in the North East.

If you have the sport package, did you get seperate snow tires for your E90?
Did you just change the tires to high performance all seasons?
Will changing to non run flat tires be bad for the suspension?

I'm in the NYC area and I'm considering a 330i with sport package. It only snows like 6 times, more or less, from November to March. Putting on snows for the duration of those months doesn't seem like a good idea. With snow tires on the E90 and driving on dry pavement, you won't be able to get the full potential of the car.

I just wanted to know what other members are doing.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

bump
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
BiggerTwin
Rep

Drives: 2012 335i xDrive coupe

When the thread got moved how come all the replies didn't get moved with the original post?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
brewer
Private
Rep

Drives: Arctic E90

Plenty of ppl have already changed to non run flats and nobody has reported any suspension problems. In fact they've reported that the ride quality is actually better.

You could get by with all seasons, but then ure sort of giving up the best of both worlds (using max performacne summer tires during good weather and winter tires during cold months). When I lived in NY I had a set of summers and a set of winters, it worked out great. I had a set of winters on a set of cheap alloy wheels, sure it didn't look great but since I drove alot during the wintertime it put me at ease. Plus, it extended the life of my soft max performance tires.

Do a search for "winter tire" and you'll find several threads debating using all seasons vs. separate summer/winter tires. Good luck with ure decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
JRMillion
Private
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i

I am in MA (used to live in NY) and have always had sport package cars. I just switch to snow tires during the snow season.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #6
RyBMW
Major
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies.

Too bad they don't have high performance run flat tires. Anyone know if they will be available soon?

One bad thing about changing to non run flats is that there is no spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
YYimports
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: TitanSilver E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBMW
One bad thing about changing to non run flats is that there is no spare tire.
True. But some people here who have nonrunflats are carrying M-mobility kits around with them for temporary repairs or also throwing a spare into their trunks for longer trips. Also, you're in the NYC area so you are probably always very close for roadside assistance to reach.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

Yeah, I switched to 19" non-runflats, and they ride better than the 17" run-flats!
I also carry this www.slime.com/smartspairs/ ( a lot cheaper than an M-mobility kit!)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
RyBMW
Major
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
If I get the 330i with SP, I'm thinking of switching out the summer run flats for high performance all seasons like the Pilot sport A/S or the PZero Neros. I might just sell the SP run flats. Do you think the dealer will switch out the run flats for me and I'll pay the difference in the two tires?

I might just keep the run flats and get a set of winter wheels/tires. Only problem with this option is that I have no place to store them. Any suggestions on where to store them? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Maybe I just wont drive the car when it snows.

When will the run flats in high performance all seasons for the SP tire size become available? Tirerack has some available now but not in the correct sizes.
Appreciate 0