Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Please help - suspension or tire issue



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
j-man
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: 320D SE
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Please help - suspension or tire issue

Ive recently taken delivery of my new 320D SE, just like to ask some questions from a fellow owner.

I have approx 1000 miles on my clock, yet the ride seems to be a bit bouncy, as in the suspension being too firm or possibly from the run flat tyres - it seems as if every stone is felt, maybe Im being too sensitive - any thoughts?

Do you know what the total run in period is?

Please help
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
191
Rep
12,277
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Check your tire pressure for one thing. The dealer had mine at 39 psi in the rear. I've been reducing it (so far to 36) and the ride continues to improve. The tires will wear faster also if kept overinflated. The only benefit will be increased mileage.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 03:14 AM   #3
CorporalCarrot
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: E46 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

J-Man

Definitely check your tyre pressures. AFAIK most manufacturers inflate tyre pressures up to 35-40 psi during transport (perhaps someone knows why this is). As part of vehicle prep the dealer should put them to the correct pressures (which you will find in your manual) but its something they often forget. When I got my E46 coupe, like Ledzep, the tyre pressures were way too high.

Oh and Ledzep, I thought tyres wore faster when underinflated due to the increased drag and larger contact point with the road?

C
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 03:30 AM   #4
chrisbin
Colonel
chrisbin's Avatar
36
Rep
2,328
Posts

 
Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est
Join Date: May 2005
Location: S.Wales, UK

iTrader: (1)

J-Man - you have PM.
__________________
Current - M-Benz C250Cdi Sport Plus Auto Est.

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 05:51 AM   #5
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: 325iSE
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalCarrot
J-Man
Oh and Ledzep, I thought tyres wore faster when underinflated due to the increased drag and larger contact point with the road?
C
When overinflated tyres wear on the centre of the tread, when underinflated they wear on the outer edges (shoulders).

And unfortunately when correctly inflated they wear all over the tread! (Although not as quickly)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
j-man
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: 320D SE
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the feedback, it just seems that the ride is a bit bouncy at times. I have the standard 16" wheels, and standard suspension. Could it have anything to do with DTC ( Dynamic Traction Control)or DSC - stability control??
I will re-assess tomorrow whilst driving, perhaps it was just particular road conditions etc when I formed the opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
PhilS
Private
2
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: 330i SE
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N.Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalCarrot
J-Man

Definitely check your tyre pressures. AFAIK most manufacturers inflate tyre pressures up to 35-40 psi during transport (perhaps someone knows why this is).

C
I think the manufacturers do this to prevent flat spots forming on the tyres if they are parked in storage for a prolonged period of time.
__________________
____________________________________
330i SE Ti silver, sports steering wheel, heated sports seats, black dakota, lumbar support, adaptive headlights, 162 wheels, bluetooth phone prep, Hi-Fi stereo, folding mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #8
BM Bridger
Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320D
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've been driving my 320d SE since mid-April and agree that the ride, whilst not being bad, can best be described as "fidgety" and never really settles down or relaxes. This is especially noticeable at speed, when going over small bumps or changes in road surface.

In my humble opinion this is down to the runflats. I tried swapping with a set of standard E46 16inch wheels with "normal" tyres from a friends car, but unfortunately the E46 wheels foul the front brake discs on the E90 so I wasn't able to conduct a test drive.

Needless to say that when the runflats wear out they will not be replaced by more runflats; irrespective of what BMW say about the suspension being tuned for runflats.

Another thing that was really obvious when changing the wheels was the weight of the runflats compared with the normal tyres - they weigh a LOT more! I was brought up to believe that reducing un-sprung mass was always the goal - not increasing it. Runflats also seem to negate the basic idea of a pneumatic tyre. Perhaps BMW should fit solid tyres as the next "safety" innovation!

You have probably gathered by now that I am not a great fan of runflat tyres.

Anyhow, apart from the fidgety ride - which I'm hopeful can be cured by fitting normal tyres, the E90 320d is a great car to own and drive (oh, and also apart from the dreadful Vauxhall Vectra styled turn indicator control!!)

BM Bridger
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
j-man
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: 320D SE
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Any thoughts on where to keep the spare tyre
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
BM Bridger
Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320D
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Probably have to lash a spacesaver in the boot. Not very elegant I know. Alternatively, a can or 2 of emergency tyre weld, although I am not entirely sure of the legal requirements in the UK.

Anyhow, where there's a will, there's a way!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #11
j-man
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: 320D SE
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Anyone else thinking of changing from run flats to normal tyres?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
thebigman
Private First Class
thebigman's Avatar
Scotland
1
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320d SE
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

I think the weight issue is irrelevant, losing the spare more than makes up for the additional weight of the run-flats, IMHO.

Ultimately, I think the ride is down to the quality of the road surface, and in the UK generally, it is appalling. Take a trip to Europe (France, Germany, et al.) and you probably will find the ride near perfect.

There is a great deal of competition between all the manufactures brewing and this can only improve the quality of the tyres.

From a safety perspective, I think these tyres are a huge step forward.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #13
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
139
Rep
10,168
Posts

 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

The issue with the runflat weight is where the weight is: unsprung, vs. the spare tire in the trunk as sprung weight. By analogy, wearing 10 kilo boots is more tiring than a 20 Kilo waistpack. But it turns out the difference btw same size&brand runflat and regular is 3 lbs. Significant if you are off road racing, but not a big deal on a luxury street car.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #14
j-man
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: 320D SE
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

thanks for the info guys
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2005, 01:49 AM   #15
ivanwibi
Private
ivanwibi's Avatar
4
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320ie90 Silver
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 - 320i  [0.00]
High delivery tyre pressure

I read in a few motoring magazine that the high tyre pressure is to ensure that the car does move around very much whilst shipping (due to rocking motion on the sea).The cars are tied down on both ends using chains, without the stuffing of highly inflated tyres in between you can image that some cars will be free to jump around.

Hence they even put up the tyre pressure.
__________________
Nov 05 E90, 320i, Silver, Sunroof, 162, Sport Suspension, Sport Steering Wheel, Black int, burr. walnut inserts.

Nov 04 Landrover Freelander TD4, Silver, 17" Freedom Wheels, one tough little hippo.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2005, 04:56 PM   #16
sysop
Fleet Owner
sysop's Avatar
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 320i A/T Idr
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: George, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to sysop
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Bridger
I've been driving my 320d SE since mid-April and agree that the ride, whilst not being bad, can best be described as "fidgety" and never really settles down or relaxes. This is especially noticeable at speed, when going over small bumps or changes in road surface.

In my humble opinion this is down to the runflats. I tried swapping with a set of standard E46 16inch wheels with "normal" tyres from a friends car, but unfortunately the E46 wheels foul the front brake discs on the E90 so I wasn't able to conduct a test drive.

Needless to say that when the runflats wear out they will not be replaced by more runflats; irrespective of what BMW say about the suspension being tuned for runflats.

Another thing that was really obvious when changing the wheels was the weight of the runflats compared with the normal tyres - they weigh a LOT more! I was brought up to believe that reducing un-sprung mass was always the goal - not increasing it. Runflats also seem to negate the basic idea of a pneumatic tyre. Perhaps BMW should fit solid tyres as the next "safety" innovation!

You have probably gathered by now that I am not a great fan of runflat tyres.

Anyhow, apart from the fidgety ride - which I'm hopeful can be cured by fitting normal tyres, the E90 320d is a great car to own and drive (oh, and also apart from the dreadful Vauxhall Vectra styled turn indicator control!!)

BM Bridger
I totally agree with you about the ride. I did in fact try swapping with E46 wheels (same size) and found them much better but unfortunately was only able to try them round town and not on a trip. They were much better, it seemed.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #17
sysop
Fleet Owner
sysop's Avatar
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 320i A/T Idr
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: George, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to sysop
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-man
Ive recently taken delivery of my new 320D SE, just like to ask some questions from a fellow owner.

I have approx 1000 miles on my clock, yet the ride seems to be a bit bouncy, as in the suspension being too firm or possibly from the run flat tyres - it seems as if every stone is felt, maybe Im being too sensitive - any thoughts?

Do you know what the total run in period is?

Please help
Agreed, I am not impressed with the "springing". Preferred that of the E46.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST