E90Post

Alpine HID

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 Handbrake adjustment

09-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Sensible_
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 E90

My hand brake isn't cutting it anymore. I've order some new shoes for it. Whilst I'm waiting for them to be delivered I'm a bit a prepare freak, which leads me to my question:

Can anyone clarify for me which way the hand brake adjuster needs to be turned to expand the shoes.

For right hand drive vehicles - drivers side its at around 11oclock and you flick it down to tighten (expand shoes)?

Passenger side around 1 oclock and you flick it up to tighten (Expand shoes)?

Cheers
      09-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
tmarshall57
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
My hand brake isn't cutting it anymore. I've order some new shoes for it. Whilst I'm waiting for them to be delivered I'm a bit a prepare freak, which leads me to my question:

Can anyone clarify for me which way the hand brake adjuster needs to be turned to expand the shoes.

For right hand drive vehicles - drivers side its at around 11oclock and you flick it down to tighten (expand shoes)?

Passenger side around 1 oclock and you flick it up to tighten (Expand shoes)?

Cheers

This should help........

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=925455
      09-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Sensible_
Private First Class

The first guy in that thread had it the opposite way to my suggestion but the last guy had it the way I thought lol.

Anyway, I'll go with this;

"The n/s adjust is up for tighten,o/s is down"

Cheers for the link!
      09-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Phil325i
Captain

Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I'd be surprised if you need new shoes (unless you've driven with the handbrake on). The E90 has a separate parking brake and therefore is only 'on' when the car is at rest. So shoe wear should be minimal...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Phil325i is offline   United Kingdom
      09-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Sensible_
Private First Class

No worries, I I've been told it's a shoe-in-hat job. I'm changing rear discs and pads so thought I'd get brake shoes aswell, they were v cheap. If they don't need changing I'll leave it well alone.
      09-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Digitalize
Photographer

Drives: E91 320D M Sport TiAg

The easiest thing to do is as you're rolling pull the handbrake on a few clicks, as they're never really worn they harden and become less effective, this cleans them up. I need to adjust mine too but the dragging method has made it work at least.
Digitalize is offline   United Kingdom
      09-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Sensible_
Private First Class

Ok so, I'm still waiting for handbrake shoes. So I tried the adjustment through the wheel lug whole today.

I put the handbrake spring into service lock and then adjusted the little star shaped nut as above. I tried both directions but neither seemed stop the wheel turning. Any ideas as to why this is happening? The handbrake isn't holding the vehicle at all now.

I have just replaced rear pads and discs (which I have done before without problem) I guess it's going to be related to that. Could the shoes have slipped? Guess I'll have to take the calliper and discs off again to investigate!
      09-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
tmarshall57
First Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
I put the handbrake spring into service lock and then adjusted the little star shaped nut as above. I tried both directions but neither seemed stop the wheel turning. Any ideas as to why this is happening? The handbrake isn't holding the vehicle at all now.
I found it took a lot of trial and error to know when the star shaped adjuster was actually turning.

I was eventually easily able to lock the wheel at will and then back off the adjuster one or two notches - just enough to allow the wheel to turn.

I didn't bother releasing the cable at the handbrake lever end.
      09-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Leah1
Private First Class

Drives: 320d m sport

How many clicks should the handbrake be when fully engaged its currently at 4-5 clicks with me ona flat surface, I did have 2-3 clicks earlier when adjusting but felt it was sticking on a little when driving off
      09-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
tmarshall57
First Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah1 View Post
How many clicks should the handbrake be when fully engaged its currently at 4-5 clicks with me ona flat surface, I did have 2-3 clicks earlier when adjusting but felt it was sticking on a little when driving off
It shouldn't bind when the brake is released. 4-5 clicks is normal. I found that if I followed the official guidance of tightening the adjuster wheel until the hub was locked and then backed it off 8 notches (I recall) then this was way too much and resulted in the handbrake lever taking about 7 clicks to operate the brake not very well!
      09-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Leah1
Private First Class

Drives: 320d m sport

Think il leave it as it is then, 4-5 clicks