E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328xi transmission issues?

07-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
saxman1001

Drives: 2007 328xi Sedan

2007 328xi transmission issues?

I recently purchased within the last 30 days a CPO 2007 328xi sedan (automatic) with 31k miles from a BMW dealer in Boston area. I had it serviced this week for what I felt were "jerking" issues on deceleration in DS mode. The service guy said this was normal, as the engine slows down the car when coming to a stop, but I wanted it checked out.

He said they would look at it. They reprogrammed the SIB(?) module in the car because it was not up to current rev. When I got the car back, it wouldn't get out of 1st or 2nd gear in (D or DS or manual mode) without accelerating to 4000 rpms or more. It wasn't drivable.

I got the car to limp back to the dealer on Friday. They were going to look at it and reprogram the computer again. It did not work, so they had to keep it over the weekend to do a complete reload of 3-6 hours with the computer. Then service guy suggests they may need to replace the entire DME(?) --- computer module on the car.

Have you heard of issues like this with this model/year (328xi / 2007)? I am very close to my 30-day, 1500 mile guarantee, and could exchange for a another car (minus the other expenses like sales tax etc I assume). Not sure whether to wait it out with service until they fix it completely or get another car.

I used to drive a manual transmission 2003 325i and it was fun, and while this new car still rides solidly like a BMW, the engine may be suspect?!? Any feedback, links would be great!!!

Thanks!
Greg
      07-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT

The first issue you described is technically normal, but you're not the first to mention it here. Once they get the car back to a functioning state, have them disable the hill assist feature. This generally makes the car smoother from a stop. The hesitation/jerk you're feeling when in DS is the transmission dropping into 1st before a complete stop. In D, it actually starts from a stop in 2nd which is why this is only noticeable in DS.

jopa489 is offline   United_States
      07-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
saxman1001

hill descent

Thanks for the reply.

So nothing I mention would be considered a "defect" with the car, just "works as designed"? Since I was used to a manual transmission and RWD (last car was a '03 325i), driving a newer bimmer with AWD and automatic is definitely a different feel. Rides great, just not sure about engine, acceleration, D vs. DS mode.

So I need to ask BMW service guy to disable the "hill descent" feature on the car? There is already a button on my dash to do this --- to disable this feature is something only a technician can do and not just me pressing the button?

Would the DME(?) computer module be defective only after 31K miles? Is this common?

From the work order they performed on the car the first time (before the car became really undrivable), here is the technician's notes:
referred to sib 24 0308. found vehicle integration level below that of sib.
A. connected to ISTA P, created measures plan.
B. coded CAS
C. coded remaining modules
D. program failed, reconnected and started measures plan again
E. concluded ista p session
F. insitalized sunroof
G. initialized TPM
Would certain VINs for the '07 BMW 328xi be likely problematic due to recalls on transmission or computer module? Without going to a dealer, how could I find out?

My VIN is WBAVC93507KX54732

Thanks!
Greg
      07-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
saxman1001

Today's update:

BMW service says that the car needs a new DME controller and is awaiting approval from BMW to be able to put a new controller in the car, then order the part. They're going to need to keep the car another 2-3 days. Since this is CPO and my 30-day "satisfaction guarantee" offered by this dealer is up this week (credit for another car), I need to make a decision. Do I wait to get the car back after DME has been replaced, keep the car, and deal with servicing it, and or ask to exchange for another car (then I would have to go car shopping on their lot)?

Are there other questions I should ask sales or service? Sales says the 30-day guarantee is not extendable even due to service.

How often do DME's go bad? The car only has 31k miles on it.

Thanks!
      07-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco

Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [2.50]
I have the same year/model and let me tell you the transmission is something else sometimes. In DS as you mention, it struggles to shift, usually into 3rd for me, unless at higher RPMs. The downshifting also is unsmooth, jerky and clunky.

I've learned that driving with DTC off and in D is better, smoother and more consistent. I now only drive in DS when I am on highways, steadily going 70 - 80 mph. Let me know if you have a detailed service record for what was done with the module as I am considering visiting my dealer on the same issue.
      07-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
If you truly aren't happy with the car then give it back. If you like the car and they'll get it back to you within the 30-day period try it out and see how it is. If it isn't fixed then give it back.
      07-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
saxman1001

2pm update: They don't need to replace the DME, BMW helped the dealer service guy reprogram the car several times (it took more than one try, sometimes failed) and wiped out all previous-owner-driving details / options (I think he called it). Then it started driving better. I'm having the manager of service drive it again tomorrow before I pick it up.
      07-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Too bad we don't know what caused the problem in the first place.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States