E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I Am A Beaten Man - No Modding for Me



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
BayMoWe335
Major
77
Rep
1,402
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I Am A Beaten Man - No Modding for Me

Well guys, I have officially given up.

I am a complete wuss and refuse to do any mods that could jeopardize my warranty. I am sick of reading threads about dealerships, SA's, and BMWNA hassling and voiding the warranty of owners who change exhaust, suspension, intake, changing a bulb, etc.

I am too chicken to proceed with the exhaust I want and suspension in fear BMW gives me hassle about it causing some other part to fail. I read a thread about denying warranty on turbos for a simple catback. No thanks.

I called my SA today and he said, "We've seen some strange problems with exhausts in particular and usually advise the owner to return to stock to test the problem. Unforunately, we have to charge them for the repair since we cannot be sure what caused it." Sure, it's probably BS, but I just don't want the HASSLE. I honestly HATE owning a car that I feel like I can't modify without a pain in the ass. I'm already dreading a HPFP failure with the Dinan S2.

I really am pissed off at myself for giving a shit about this silly warranty that probably won't do much for the remaining 3 years I have it. I will now refer to myself as a "warranty queen."

Please flame me for being so concerned with a silly warranty that BMW appears to use any excuse possible to wiggle away from their responsibility. Perhaps I will see the light and change my mind...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
be1ieve1111
Thread Killer
United_States
9
Rep
921
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via AIM to be1ieve1111 Send a message via Yahoo to be1ieve1111 Send a message via Skype™ to be1ieve1111
If you are satisfied with not having mods enjoy your car. If you keep pushing down the accelerator, keep going around turns, and demand more from your car, well, just do it. There always will be consequences down the road but the grin on your face will definitely make it worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
If they're gonna be that strict over an exhaust what makes you think they won't fight you every step of the way no matter what state your car is in? I'd be searching for a new dealer, try the regional forums and ask which dealers are more reasonable when it comes to warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
47
Rep
4,628
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
If they're gonna be that strict over an exhaust what makes you think they won't fight you every step of the way no matter what state your car is in? I'd be searching for a new dealer, try the regional forums and ask which dealers are more reasonable when it comes to warranty claims.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,516
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

It's only natural to care about the warranty when you've paid for the car yourself. BMW's are expensive to repair, nobody likes to spend $1000 every time they go to the dealership. On the other hand, if Mama bought the car, who cares about the warranty, she'll buy you a new car cuz when you're good to Mama, Mama's good to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
tim818
Private
tim818's Avatar
0
Rep
91
Posts

 
Drives: way too fast
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Isn't Dinan providing their own warranty which pretty much matches BMW's?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
30
Rep
1,558
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

Bummer.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
BayMoWe335
Major
77
Rep
1,402
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
It's only natural to care about the warranty when you've paid for the car yourself. BMW's are expensive to repair, nobody likes to spend $1000 every time they go to the dealership. On the other hand, if Mama bought the car, who cares about the warranty, she'll buy you a new car cuz when you're good to Mama, Mama's good to you.
Lol, I bought my own car which is why I'm reacting this way.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
BayMoWe335
Major
77
Rep
1,402
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim818 View Post
Isn't Dinan providing their own warranty which pretty much matches BMW's?
Yeah, not too worried about the Dinan. I'm talking if I go Vanguard exhaust or something and they void my engine warranty because "back pressure" wasn't sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Zoraster
First Lieutenant
Zoraster's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
339
Posts

 
Drives: E36, E82, E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The First State

iTrader: (1)

Live laugh mod
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Tee212
Banned
United_States
59
Rep
4,545
Posts

 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Riverside

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2010 335  [4.00]
Send a message via AIM to Tee212 Send a message via MSN to Tee212
Your rant is well justified, nothing worse than HASSLE on top of me being lazy to revert back to stock shit more hassle. Pay to play ya i got that, i think e90forum poisoned us.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
30
Rep
1,558
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

The solution to your dilemma is to get the BMW performance exhaust. BMW can't give you any BS for it if they install it (and they will), and all things considered, it sounds damn good.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
BayMoWe335
Major
77
Rep
1,402
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The solution to your dilemma is to get the BMW performance exhaust. BMW can't give you any BS for it if they install it (and they will), and all things considered, it sounds damn good.
Oh, and I forgot to address this.

I really do NOT want to pay close to $1800 for mufflers. If I'm going to do this for the sound (almost no gain), I might as well get a real exhaust that will give me good gains and good sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
blacknbean
Major
11
Rep
1,027
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SF

iTrader: (2)

bmw performance makes parts for ppl like you...id go with that. they makes good stuff too
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
DJKhan85
Major
DJKhan85's Avatar
Trinidad_and_tobago
11
Rep
1,188
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Well guys, I have officially given up.

I am a complete wuss and refuse to do any mods that could jeopardize my warranty. I am sick of reading threads about dealerships, SA's, and BMWNA hassling and voiding the warranty of owners who change exhaust, suspension, intake, changing a bulb, etc.

I am too chicken to proceed with the exhaust I want and suspension in fear BMW gives me hassle about it causing some other part to fail. I read a thread about denying warranty on turbos for a simple catback. No thanks.

I called my SA today and he said, "We've seen some strange problems with exhausts in particular and usually advise the owner to return to stock to test the problem. Unforunately, we have to charge them for the repair since we cannot be sure what caused it." Sure, it's probably BS, but I just don't want the HASSLE. I honestly HATE owning a car that I feel like I can't modify without a pain in the ass. I'm already dreading a HPFP failure with the Dinan S2.

I really am pissed off at myself for giving a shit about this silly warranty that probably won't do much for the remaining 3 years I have it. I will now refer to myself as a "warranty queen."

Please flame me for being so concerned with a silly warranty that BMW appears to use any excuse possible to wiggle away from their responsibility. Perhaps I will see the light and change my mind...
wah wah wah.

quit your bellaching and do it already. Just remember to have enough money to replace what has broken thanks to the mods.
Modded from day 1 and loving every minute of it.
__________________
2011 VW GTI 4dr-6mt-Sunroof-Nav-Xenons
OLD:
08 335i AW/CR/Poplar 6mt-ZSP-ZPP-ZCW-iPod-iDrive-PDC-Style 230s w/FK 452-Dinan LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
139
Rep
10,169
Posts

 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

+1 on BMW Performance parts. Suspension is great for DD.

Maybe get a JB+ set at low boost for reasonably safe power increase.

Extreme performance non-rfts.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
BlueMan
Private First Class
BlueMan's Avatar
4
Rep
156
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

the exhaust is the best i have heard.
__________________
e92 335i M-Sport - BMW Power Kit - Style 225 19's - KW V2 - M3 Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
jbass524
Captain
18
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (2)

Warranty valid solution 1: keep it stock
Warranty valid solution 2: BMW performance parts only
Warranty valid solution 3: Find a new dealer that will support your modding (within reason). They're out there. I have one.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #19
zeenon53
Major
zeenon53's Avatar
13
Rep
1,064
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: obx

iTrader: (3)

^^^The problem with solution 3 is if BMWNA need to see your DME your screwed.

I face this same dilemma except I also paid to CPO the car. It's an 09 with 10500 miles and a long warranty. You are lucky because you can go Dinan stage 2 if you aren't CPO'ed. Go get whatever exhaust and intake you want and learn how to install them, it's easy. Whenever you have to go to the dealership remove them and put the stock parts on, or you can pay a shop to do it for you. The BMW performance exhaust is really nice though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #20
fruition3000
Captain
fruition3000's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
769
Posts

 
Drives: Down Ocean Drive
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Le-Bron Town

iTrader: (0)

Why not be happy with the car as is? Its not like you bought a crap car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #21
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

I don't get it. BMW is in business to make profit for its shareholders. All businesses are in operation to make a profit for their owners. BMW builds machines, and through the random act of tolerance derivation, sometimes the machines break before they are expected to. BMW offers a warranty to offset this phenomenon so that its customers are happy with the expensive product they've just purchased. BMW spends millions of dollars each year addressing warranty claims because there is a cost benefit balance in building a car with a certain level of part longevity rather than spending more engineering and manufacturing resources (i.e. cost) to build a car with parts that last even longer.

And now here you come, with some aftermarket part, not engineered by BMW, and not installed by BMW, and expect BMW to uphold the warranty. Once you've added a non BMW part to your car the condition of the car is now out of BMW's control, and they are, based on sound business reasons, not going to honor the warranty. To top it off, BMW tells you this in the warranty language they provide when you purchase the car, which you agree to when you purchase the car. And you have an issue with it?

Maybe you need to get a job in an industry that sells something with a warranty and then you may better understand the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
BRAISKI
Colonel
BRAISKI's Avatar
Spain
54
Rep
2,392
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
If you are happy with your car the way it is then no need to mod it
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST