E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Need Help - Roof Spoiler Please



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Need Help - Roof Spoiler Please
Published by 335icell
10-20-2010
Need Help - Roof Spoiler Please

good day all,

could someone please assist me in installing roof spoiler for my E90? i know you supposed to use 3m double sided tape; however, can you please be more in depth or specific on it? like if there should be an extra step or something?

if such DIY already exist, please send me the forum.

thank you,
Tutorial Tools
  #1  
By dc5_champ88 on 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM
anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
By Thumperx on 01-22-2011, 03:26 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I just install this on my car last weekend. Itís pretty simple. I've should have taken pictures while I was installing it on my car.
  • Buy one to three rolls of 3M's double sided tape. (More is better; I was able to manage taping with two rolls). Use a cutting knife or xacto to peal off the red tape cover.
  • Thoroughly clean top section of the rear window. (Ideally: use mild wax and grease remover)
  • Perform a mock placement check. Does the arc of the spoiler match the arc of the rear window? Position and mark equal amounts of exposed window seal on the left and right sides. (On my car, the spoiler was shy of the outer rear window edge of the rubber window seal by about .25 in. on each side.) If the outer edges hover above window, then the spoiler is high center. Do not put tape in the center section of the spoiler.
  • On the underneath side of the spoiler, tape placement is positioned on the high or raised bottom surface. This is where the spoiler contacts the window.
  • Run 3M tape along the perimeter of this raised surface. Remember, if the crown the spoiler hits the only the center, then leave the center devoid of tape (8-12 inches). If not, run a strip of tape top, bottom (entire length), and sides.
  • Before final placement, center the spoiler which shows equal amounts of exposed window edge rubber. Stand back and check for centering one last time. Make adjustment accordingly if needed.
  • Now you're ready for final pressing. Firmly press down the entire length.
  • Stand back, admire you work, and check for overall tape adhesion.

*Note:
It took me about 20 minutes for this entire process. Most of the work was removing the red covering from the tape. I performed this twice because I found one side was not holding down. For personal insurance and safety reasons, I took it off and supplemented the entire middle section of the tape perimeter with a generous bead of silicon. This silicon tacks up in 1 to 3 hrs, cures within 24 hrs, and adheres to the windowís surface. Once itís cured, there is absolute NO movement of the spoiler. I did not want it flying off at any speed.

There you go, I hope this helps you.

I'm not responsible for any future damage or injury.
Last edited by Thumperx; 01-24-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
By dc5_champ88 on 01-24-2011, 02:16 PM
thnx
Reply With Quote
  #4  
By Thumperx on 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5_champ88 View Post
thnx
No problem, I hope your install when smoothly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
By silentassasin on 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM
I had my roof spoiler mounted using BetaLink K1 bought the tube for $15 at BMW dealer.

You have about 15 minutes to make any adjustments and wipe execs glue before it hardens.

It will not come off while driving (3M tape did in the past) and you are food to go within a couple of hours curing time.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #6  
By just4kickz on 01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
betalink on glass? goodluck getting it off in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
By silentassasin on 01-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
betalink on glass? goodluck getting it off in the future.
Why take it off, that's the whole purpose of using betalink
Reply With Quote
  #8  
By Thumperx on 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSE90 View Post
Why take it off, that's the whole purpose of using betalink
A possible scenario is if the owner is selling the car. He or she may want to remove it and resell it. Silicon glue is great just for this. Firm enough for a good hold, but flexible enough to be pried apart from its surface if it needs to be removed.

X2
This is why I chose silicon glue over other types.
Last edited by Thumperx; 08-20-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
By Noncom23 on 07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
These are my additions to this thread. I had some questions and
made up my own answers.(I take no responsibility for errors
on your end). Hate that part. This a Bimmian M-tech Spoiler.

Prep the glass with your usual window cleaner and follow that with
two cleanings with pure Alcohol.

The main thing to remember is the dry fit
before your final attachment. Either one or both of the ends will
always stick up with the dry fit. When you place the 3m double
sided tape, leave a blank area from the center at least 3 to 4
inches both sides of center. About 6 to 8 inches overall.

Only attach the spoiler to the glass, the 3m tape is all you need,
no glue or adhesive needed. Attach the tape to the raised areas
only in the middle underside of the spoiler running from end to end,
and the short sides.The peripheral raised areas are to guide you to
the edges over the rubber trim. You don't need tape on the rubber trim.

Place the spoiler to the roof rubber trim first and eyeball an even split
to both ends at the rubber trim and go for it. Once it is down, that
is usually it. I didn't try to pull it off and got my line up the first time
as above. Lucky.

Once the spoiler is down it is time for the pressure. You will need
several heavy books to use as weights. Concentrate double weight
on the ends and single weight to the mid areas. Place a thick blanket
first with the slack over the trunk lid. Place the books and pull the
slack of the blanket over the books to the roof to hold the books in place.
I left this on from noon until the next morning and the very left end was
still slightly loose. That was ok, I drove it to work and it never moved.
I placed double the books that night and the next morning the left end was down solid and never moved again. Now some pics:


Spoiler with tape in place:


Before:



With the books and the blanket:


After pics:




Last edited by Noncom23; 07-28-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
By Koreyy on 10-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noncom23
These are my additions to this thread. I had some questions and
made up my own answers.(I take no responsibility for errors
on your end). Hate that part. This a Bimmian M-tech Spoiler.

Prep the glass with your usual window cleaner and follow that with
two cleanings with pure Alcohol.

The main thing to remember is the dry fit
before your final attachment. Either one or both of the ends will
always stick up with the dry fit. When you place the 3m double
sided tape, leave a blank area from the center at least 3 to 4
inches both sides of center. About 6 to 8 inches overall.

Only attach the spoiler to the glass, the 3m tape is all you need,
no glue or adhesive needed. Attach the tape to the raised areas
only in the middle underside of the spoiler running from end to end,
and the short sides.The peripheral raised areas are to guide you to
the edges over the rubber trim. You don't need tape on the rubber trim.

Place the spoiler to the roof rubber trim first and eyeball an even split
to both ends at the rubber trim and go for it. Once it is down, that
is usually it. I didn't try to pull it off and got my line up the first time
as above. Lucky.

Once the spoiler is down it is time for the pressure. You will need
several heavy books to use as weights. Concentrate double weight
on the ends and single weight to the mid areas. Place a thick blanket
first with the slack over the trunk lid. Place the books and pull the
slack of the blanket over the books to the roof to hold the books in place.
I left this on from noon until the next morning and the very left end was
still slightly loose. That was ok, I drove it to work and it never moved.
I placed double the books that night and the next morning the left end was down solid and never moved again. Now some pics:


Spoiler with tape in place:


Before:



With the books and the blanket:


After pics:




Why did you leave blank on middle?? Not supposed to 3m taped all the way??
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST