E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > My IPod Installation Saga ..

12-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #1
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
My IPod Installation Saga ..

An ongoing story at this point: I took my car (build date 05/06) in Tuesday 12/26 0815AM to get an iPod adapter installed. (Christmas present for myself) They told me it would take a few hours and they would call me when it was ready. About 4 pm they called to say they were programming and it should be ready in about 1/2 hour and they would call me back as soon as the reprogram had finished. After that 1/2 hour, they called to say the reprogram was not taking and they would like to keep it overnight so the master technician could check it out this morning. If I needed a loaner, they had one available, but I could't get there in time last night.

This morning I got a call to say that the master tech had looked over the installation and everything was done correctly, but they had still not been able to get the programing done. They had called BMW and were told that there were problems with some ECU's not accepting the iPod update, and that it (ECU) should be replaced. One is on its way now -- due to arrive either Thursday or Friday, depending.

I stopped in this AM and picked up the loaner they offered -- a 2007 X3. My wife and I were going shopping in a nearby city today, so we took the X3, of course. (158 miles, round trip) If the new ECU is delivered tomorrow, and I get MY car back, I will post the results. If not:mad: , I'll be out putting more miles on that loaner.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
DPritchett is offline   United_States
      12-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
tbonecopper
Private First Class

Drives: 330i 2006 Loaded

Send a message via Yahoo to tbonecopper Send a message via Skype™ to tbonecopper
At least you got a loaner Sorry to hear about the delay....seems that install is very tricky, esp with navi
tbonecopper is offline   United_States
      12-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
cdp1276
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i w/sport package

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to cdp1276 Send a message via AIM to cdp1276 Send a message via MSN to cdp1276 Send a message via Yahoo to cdp1276
I had similar issues with mine and was in the shop for 5 days before they finally got the software working but my ECU didn't need to be replaced. Can you please let me know if your able to play MP3 data CD's in your normal CD player after install? I lost that capablity after the iPod Retrofit and really want it back.
cdp1276 is offline   United_States
      12-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
tbonecopper
Private First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to tbonecopper Send a message via Skype™ to tbonecopper
I'll do my best to burn one tonite and let you know

I've never tested it...
      12-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Emperor
Rockstar

Drives: 2006 330i

I just got the adaptor installed- took 2 days for the dealer to finish the software update. Luckily they gave me a loaner right off the bat. Everything seems to be working well now though.
      12-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Here's an update on my install. It's done -- and it turns out it wasn't the electronic unit. The Service Manager says the instructions they downloaded were wrong... there are two wires that have to be switched. Once they did that everything worked okay.

But, I still don't have my car back. They tell me the service tech dropped a screwdriver and made a scratch in my center console -- they've ordered one to replace the one they scratched. Of course, this is Friday before a 3 day weekend, so we are looking at Tuesday or Wednesday now. (So, how many miles can I put on that loaner?)

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
      12-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
tbonecopper
Private First Class

Well policy here is it can't leave the main city and no more than 100 miles per day or something....some crazy policy
      12-29-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
s4iscool
Major

Drives: 06 330i

thats stupid on the mile limits...i recently put 700 miles on my touareg loaner from a non-bmw dealer I go to.
s4iscool is offline   United_States
      01-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
The Rest of the Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPritchett
An ongoing story at this point: I took my car (build date 05/06) in Tuesday 12/26 0815AM to get an iPod adapter installed. (Christmas present for myself) ,,, If the new ECU is delivered tomorrow, and I get MY car back, I will post the results. If not:mad: , I'll be out putting more miles on that loaner.
I finally got my car back on Tuesday, 1/2, a week after I dropped it off. It turns out that the ECU was never the problem. Rather the instructions failed to mention the two wires that needed to be reversed when the iPod adapter is installed. In the install process, the tech dropped a screwdriver on my center console and they ordered a new one to replace it, but the initial part was wrong so they had to reorder, and, since I had a loaner, I let them keep my car over New Years weekend.

So I put 290 miles on my loaner (2007 X3) in a week. The price for the install was $200. [everything else -- new ECU, center console, programming was free] It works pretty much exactly as described elsewhere in the forum. I especially like not having to dig into the center armrest to turn it on or change a track. You can control it using the steering wheel buttons too. My son, who is an Acura TL man, and therefore not automatically impressed with all things BMW says he likes it.

Cons in my opinion include 1) slow loading menu's 2) inability to speed scroll thru lists 3) playing the first item in a category automatically, making you select back to get the menu (just because I've gone to the 'Artist' menu doesn't mean I want to play the first track there) and 4) the CD-01, 02, 03 etc heirarchy itself, which correspond to the menu items on the iPod. (Although eventually I will just know without thinking which is genre, artist, all songs, etc and this will be less of an issue).

So, even though it took a WHOLE lot longer than anyone thought, at the end of the story I am pleased with end result.