E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > leaking water when rains onto passenger side floor

07-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
08rookie
Private First Class

Drives: bmw

leaking water when rains onto passenger side floor

yup...title says it! its happened a couple times. but one time too many is enough. when it rains hard there are a couple of drips of water on my passenger side and only passenger side front seat.

i have a gap in my windshield cover that i thought was the culprit. see pic below. i spoke to a mobile windshield repair guy (( now although he doesnt do strictly bmw he has replaced thousands upon thousands of windshields and only windshields and i think he has knowledge of windshields and its related components that is somewhat valuable )) and he mentioned that 'regardless if you have a gap in the cover/cowl and its not sitting flush with your windshield water wont enter your cabin through a gap in the windshield base" he went on to mention that it could enter through a sun roof too....but i duno, when it rains i can hear a puddle of water slosh around behind my dash area and i know it has to enter through this gap!! lol i dont want water sloshing around. no slosh....

true or false? the cover cost 50 bucks, the cost to replace cost 50 bucks.....or i can do it myself...

my car is a cpo. my SA says they dont fix leaks.
Attached Images

07-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Orient330iNYC
Major

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

true. that cover is just decorative. the glass is sealed all around on the INSIDE
most likely you have a blocked sunroof drain.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP, BMW Performance Kit, BMW Performance Exhaust
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
      07-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
roadkillrob
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

It definitely won't leak there even with the trim like that, and any windshield leak will not get on the passenger side seat, it would most likely make the floor wet. If it is on the seat, it is from the sunroof or window - even the sunroof unless left open, should channel the water out of the car, any water that get's in around the seal should not make it onto the seat as there are channels to carry it out of the car, unless the drains are clogged, the water should just flow away without you noticing.

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1
roadkillrob is offline   United_States
      07-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
08rookie
Private First Class

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
It definitely won't leak there even with the trim like that, and any windshield leak will not get on the passenger side seat, it would most likely make the floor wet. If it is on the seat, it is from the sunroof or window - even the sunroof unless left open, should channel the water out of the car, any water that get's in around the seal should not make it onto the seat as there are channels to carry it out of the car, unless the drains are clogged, the water should just flow away without you noticing.

thanks for the info guya....the leak is not on to my seat...the leak is a drip onto my passenger floor...it comes from under my glove box....you can see the drops hit the floor...the leak seems to come from above and drip down...it does not just appear from under the mat...and i must include that not alllll times when i hear water behind my dash will there be a resulting leak. only sometimes when there is a heavvvyyyy down pour and im stuck in traffic and the environment is sustained for a decent amount of time will the water start to drip into the passenger floor.

would a blocked sunroof drain leave a puddle of water somewhere behind my dash?? either a heavyyy rain storm or car wash will leave water and its so apparent that the water is behind my dash/under my windshield wipers/or some other compartment where water can sit and travel freely from driver side to passenger side. thats why i just figured the gap would be the issue...either way the gap should not be there and the seal should be flush....

how do you test for a blocked drain? sunroof or other drain? how will process of elimination work after i seal this gap (oooo i am gona seal it!!) and if i still get water behind my dash then obviously it wasnt the windshield gap....
      07-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal

Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
+1 for sunroof drain. Had something similar happen on my '07 after going through a touchless wash. Which was unusual, since I had been using touchless washes for years.

At first I thought I had a cracked heater core, but the moist part of the carpet didn't have a coolant smell and the coolant level was fine. You could see that the water had come in behind the dash on the passenger side. And I later recalled feeling a light mist of water from the roof when the spray arm passed over the top of the car during the last wash. In hindsight it all pointed to the sunroof drain holes.

Fortunately in my case the clog seemed to clear on its own. Honeslty I don't know of a test that doesn't involve more water, which would only add to your problem.
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
PiperD is offline   Canada
      03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
kierbmw
Private

Drives: black sapphire metallic

hi guys, need help, please show me where the sunroof drain is? where is that located? i know its a dumb question but i just dont know where.
kierbmw is offline   United_States
      03-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
burton727
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 330i

that peice is a pita to replace, did it on my jetta cause i had the same problem.
but it was because it was going through a crack i had into the cabin air filter and down onto the passenger floor.
      03-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
timmahh
ghey

Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

There is a tray around the sunroof that collects water, it should drain down tubes that connect to the tray and run down to the common drains on the car

Question.. have you you checked the two drains at the back of the hood?

Open your hood and look at the very back left and right, behind the shock towers, underneath the windshield. If those are full/clogged you could have enough water build up that it's spilling over and getting the passenger area wet.

If the sunroof drains were clogged you'd have water coming from the headliner, so it doesn't sound like that's it.

The females confuse me.
timmahh is offline   United_States
      03-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
31 Hz
Private

Drives: 08 E92 N54 ZSP 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
There is a tray around the sunroof that collects water, it should drain down tubes that connect to the tray and run down to the common drains on the car
Anybody know where these drains exit at the bottom of the car?
      03-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
You guys are all wrong...that piece is the culprit.

There's a TSB out for the cowl cover to shrink/lift and allow water to drip into the ac blower and into the passenger side footwell area.

The cover is covered under warranty, not sure about Cpo. But the ac blower also eventually fails because of the moisture from the water...it will rust components in the blower.

It's a good idea to replace the blower fan if it's squeaking.

Btw the ac blower is located under the fuse panel, under the glove compartment.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      04-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
tony176000
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328i

BUMP on this. I took mine into service today (4 days before warranty expires, whew!). When it rains or I wash the car, I get a considerable amount of water dripping from the under the glove box onto the passenger footwell. It appears to come from the heater vents, altough it may just appear that way. Previously, when I bought the car pre-owned, the blower unit was failing. Anyone have a link to the service bulletin for this issue? Is there a long-term fix, or just something to deal with.

My love of BMWs not dimiished, the little issues I am having (and not having, eg HPFP, injectors) are annoying. I know all companies have issues, but this round of Bimmers are getting on my nerves with these issues. To date: unresolved head ticking, blower unit failure, leak, tranny-whine. Who know what will pop up after MOnday, April 11, when my warranty is up.
tony176000 is offline   United_States
      04-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
tony176000
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328i

Getting tired of my BMW's BS already.

UPDATE:
SA just called, asked when I had replaced my windshield. I stated that I have never replaced it, I ahd just bought the car at the end of last year from you guys.

--Oh, so you've never replaced it? No, I don't know if it had been replaced before I bought it, but I myself have not.

--Ok, well, its not a BMW windshield and they left some piece off that would normally prevent water from entering the cabin. But you say you did buy this form us? Yes, I did, at the end of December.

---I'll have to speak with my manager to see what he wants to do.

MOTHER EFF. I have had my Bimmer for less than 4 months, have the HVLs replaced, and now they might be trying make me pay for a possibly known issue. What do I do? Any advice.

Anyone have the TSB handy for this issue? The link in for it in the Bulletin section is dead....
tony176000 is offline   United_States
      04-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #13
Potty_Pants
Colonel

Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Work the good will angle... chances are this will get resolved at no cost.

next up... you bought the car used = you wouldnt take that much of a hit if you flipped it on a honda.

If the car was missing a piece to deflect water entry... this "SHOULD OF BEEN COVERED WHEN THE CPO WAS PERFORMED"
Being CPO , if the dealer gives you grief... contact bmw.

how much is this trim piece anyway ?

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Potty_Pants is offline   United_States
      01-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Thp4
Private

Drives: 2011 335i msport

This exact thing happened to me. I went through a touch less wash with my 2009 335i (as I have done many times) and water was on passenger floor.

Took the car to dealer and referenced the TSB on this issue. He later called me and asked if I had had my window replaced. I said not that i know of. He said that the "vapor barrier" was missing and they would need take out windshield to replace it and more than likely would need new windshield.

Long story short, insurance is covering glass and labor, i just have to pay parts for "vapor barrier" and new cowling.

… However, it is interesting to me that several people are having the exact same issue.
Thp4 is offline   United_States
      01-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

Drives: 06 330i

can you post the part number for the vapor barrier please.

01-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
Thp4
Private

Drives: 2011 335i msport

When I pick up my car i will ask.
Thp4 is offline   United_States
      01-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

great thanks. i had the same issue. replaced the cowling with some silicone caulk for good measure. now i am curious if i actually have a part missing.

07-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
aah78
-

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Arrow

Any update on the part number for this windshield "vapor barrier" guys?
      07-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
roundel335
Brigadier General

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Just a side question here - someone mentioned the squeaking blower fan, which I've started to notice (now that the car is 6 years from mfg date). It comes and goes, and I had a similar issue with my E46 330iZHP, but traded it for the present car before it became a problem. What's the cost/difficulty in replacing that blower motor?

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
      07-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

not sure about cost but look up parts online.

it is fairly easy to change out. diy is performed from inside the car, under the dash. if i remember right there is something like two screws you remove and it twists out.

i oiled mine with spray wd40, removed the noise, you will see rust on there where the water has got to it.

07-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
bumere90
Grozniy

Drives: Carless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierbmw View Post
hi guys, need help, please show me where the sunroof drain is? where is that located? i know its a dumb question but i just dont know where.
on all 4 sides, driver front and rear, passenger front and rear
remove the headliner and you'll see it.
      08-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
virtualhemant
Registered

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
You guys are all wrong...that piece is the culprit.

There's a TSB out for the cowl cover to shrink/lift and allow water to drip into the ac blower and into the passenger side footwell area.

The cover is covered under warranty, not sure about Cpo. But the ac blower also eventually fails because of the moisture from the water...it will rust components in the blower.

It's a good idea to replace the blower fan if it's squeaking.

Btw the ac blower is located under the fuse panel, under the glove compartment.
Hey, you were right.
I am facing the same problem and it turns out to be the cowl cover. I have a gap in the center of cowl cover which will shrink/lift depending on the outside temperature and will allow water getting inside. In the evening it will be snug fit but in the morning I can see some gap there.
You mentioned that there is a TSB out for the cowl cover but I am unable to find it. Can you give me the reference please?