E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Tuned 335i as a track car?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-22-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
Bluechipper
Banned
11
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: 09 M3 Vert
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Tuned 335i as a track car?

OK I am looking to get a used 335i.

What are people’s experiences with tracking a tuned 335i? I am talking about road course's, not drag racing.

I don't want to be experiencing any limp mode situations on the track.


My other alternative is a E46 M3, which has been proven to be a reliable track car.


Any info from people that track their 335i's on a regular basis would be really helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Robmaster
Colonel
Robmaster's Avatar
Switzerland
93
Rep
2,759
Posts

Drives: 2010 E82 135, 2005 E87 130i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (3)

go with a E46 M3. it's lighter and more sportcar than the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
Hegemony's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
372
Posts

Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechipper View Post
OK I am looking to get a used 335i.

What are people’s experiences with tracking a tuned 335i? I am talking about road course's, not drag racing.

I don't want to be experiencing any limp mode situations on the track.


My other alternative is a E46 M3, which has been proven to be a reliable track car.


Any info from people that track their 335i's on a regular basis would be really helpful.
IMHO if you're looking to do anything more than DE's, then the e92 is too heavy a starting platform for a dedicated track car.

If you're looking to dual-purpose (track and occassional) street, then it works just fine.
__________________
-Hegemony
Pics
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
e92phreak
General
e92phreak's Avatar
United_States
276
Rep
21,745
Posts

Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [4.75]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
you better hope your SA doesn't leave his job anytime soon.
__________________
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
ToddPhilly's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: King of Prussia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
IMHO if you're looking to do anything more than DE's, then the e92 is too heavy a starting platform for a dedicated track car.

If you're looking to dual-purpose (track and occassional) street, then it works just fine.
Agreed. I use mine as a primary street, but occasional track and it is just fine. I haven't had any limp mode issues as of yet (although I'm headed up to watkins glen in 2 weeks and I expect ambient temps to be in low to mid 90's). We'll see how it holds up. My only mods are a set of track wheels/ non-rft tires all around and Hawk HP+ pads on the front. Bone stock otherwise.

I will mention that the owner of Bimmerworks (a tuning shop in West Chester, PA) just bought a 335i coupe he is converting into a race car. So far it's been gutted down to strip the inside, added a roll cage, seats, harnesses etc. I think it had PSS9s on it and some stickier non-RFT rubber when he bought it (used), and that's about it. He said it was running quite well, and he was running lap times just shy of 996 GT3s. My guess is that if you wanted to spend some $ tuning the car, it could be a competent track car. I just think you could do more for less $ with an e46 M3 or even an older 993 porsche.
__________________
335i Coupe: Crimson Red / Black
X3 3.0si: Alpine White / Sand Beige
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
214
Rep
4,379
Posts

Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechipper View Post
OK I am looking to get a used 335i.

What are people’s experiences with tracking a tuned 335i? I am talking about road course's, not drag racing.

I don't want to be experiencing any limp mode situations on the track.


My other alternative is a E46 M3, which has been proven to be a reliable track car.


Any info from people that track their 335i's on a regular basis would be really helpful.

Track my car? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh




No limp modes, conservative tune, upgraded brakes, wheels, tires, exhaust, and suspension (coilovers). Car does run hot if ambient air temp is over about 80 degrees. I would not do a 105 degree event at Buttonwillow/Willow Springs/Thunderhill in the summer months.
__________________

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
gshb
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

i guess thats why i never see a 335 at buttonwillow =/ no one to play with!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
satakal
Major
satakal's Avatar
40
Rep
1,476
Posts

Drives: e46
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: socal

iTrader: (2)

Pardon? There were about 8 335s this past weekend at Button. At least one running hard in the A group and one being flogged by a very competent instructor. I didn't hear of anyone having any issues.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
380
Rep
2,646
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

I had one limp where the car cut off the power all together, but I don't even think it was a hard limp since the oil temp was not at 300, maybe at 280 or so, and the engine reduced power light never came on..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
Bluechipper
Banned
11
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: 09 M3 Vert
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPhilly View Post
My guess is that if you wanted to spend some $ tuning the car, it could be a competent track car. I just think you could do more for less $ with an e46 M3 or even an older 993 porsche.
I will be using it on the street as well, but I will be tracking it very often.

Starting to think the E46 M3 might be the better choice also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
you better hope your SA doesn't leave his job anytime soon.
Don't really care about the SA. I will be working on the car myself.

I am just worried about the twin turbos and how much abuse they can take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Track my car? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh

No limp modes, conservative tune, upgraded brakes, wheels, tires, exhaust, and suspension (coilovers). Car does run hot if ambient air temp is over about 80 degrees. I would not do a 105 degree event at Buttonwillow/Willow Springs/Thunderhill in the summer months.
Looks good, sounds like if I keep the engine near stock form it shouldn't be a problem. But I am not sure if I can stay away from the easy power upgrades like procede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I had one limp where the car cut off the power all together, but I don't even think it was a hard limp since the oil temp was not at 300, maybe at 280 or so, and the engine reduced power light never came on..
This is what I am worried about. I remember edmunds or MT testing the 335i around the track, after about 5 laps it went into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
longodj
Major
longodj's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,288
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to longodj
Limp mode every session of every day this year for me :-/ Waiting for VK Oil Cooler....
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
983
Rep
8,067
Posts

Drives: E84 X135
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
Limp mode every session of every day this year for me :-/ Waiting for VK Oil Cooler....
wow, not cool. Sorry to hear that man! I'd be very frustrated due if I missed track time for that reason
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
longodj
Major
longodj's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,288
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to longodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
wow, not cool. Sorry to hear that man! I'd be very frustrated due if I missed track time for that reason
No way man, I got it down to an art. I remove the engine underpanel, jack the car up between sessions (full front up on jack stands), put a water biased mixture into the coolant tank, and run it like hell. If I'm lucky and it's had a while to cool down, it'll last till the checkered in a 20 minute session. Friday I had 6 30 minute sessions so I did 13-15 minutes on track, pulled off for about 2 minutes and left the car off and then went back on until checkered. To combat limping I just pit in and reboot, like a pissy Windows machine. The only scary bit is when it limps and a Corvette or Viper is climbing up your ass...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #14
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
983
Rep
8,067
Posts

Drives: E84 X135
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
No way man, I got it down to an art. I remove the engine underpanel, jack the car up between sessions (full front up on jack stands), put a water biased mixture into the coolant tank, and run it like hell. If I'm lucky and it's had a while to cool down, it'll last till the checkered in a 20 minute session. Friday I had 6 30 minute sessions so I did 13-15 minutes on track, pulled off for about 2 minutes and left the car off and then went back on until checkered. .
Are you at all concerned about the long term impact of those elevated oil temps on the long term durability of the machine?

I love the 335 but I find it ridiculous that a new $45k sporty car doesn't have adequate cooling capacity to handle sustained track use.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #15
longodj
Major
longodj's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,288
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to longodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
Are you at all concerned about the long term impact of those elevated oil temps on the long term durability of the machine?

I love the 335 but I find it ridiculous that a new $45k sporty car doesn't have adequate cooling capacity to handle sustained track use.
I'm tremendously concerned. I mean, I'm doing everything I can to combat it. I can't really do much until VK releases the retrofit. I really just don't want to sacrifice my driving education because of this cars stupid oil temp issues. This is my first year tracking and I'm getting a ton of time in and progressing rapidly, so if I have to push the car a bit I'll worry about that later.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
983
Rep
8,067
Posts

Drives: E84 X135
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
I'm tremendously concerned. I mean, I'm doing everything I can to combat it. I can't really do much until VK releases the retrofit. I really just don't want to sacrifice my driving education because of this cars stupid oil temp issues. This is my first year tracking and I'm getting a ton of time in and progressing rapidly, so if I have to push the car a bit I'll worry about that later.
Abstain from track use until you have the new cooling system parts?

Based on all of these threads it looks like when it comes time for me to replace my 328, I'll either need to step up to the plate and get a M3 or return to turbo Subaru world in order to get a daily driver that can handle heavy track use
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
uberschnell
Brigadier General
uberschnell's Avatar
No_Country
463
Rep
3,959
Posts

Drives: Wide Body 1
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (48)

I don't know if longodj mentioned it but he also has no factory oil cooler. I've been tracking mine at all three main tracks in the bay area and have only limped once at Laguna.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #18
Soni
Major General
Soni's Avatar
Canada
124
Rep
8,375
Posts

Drives: Just a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CANADA eh!

iTrader: (35)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [4.50]
I went to track my car over the weekend, it went limp mode on 2nd or 3rd lap everytime when I went in. It threw couple of P0015 code and the rest of the limps were no code or at least didn't show on the C-reader. I have factory oil cooler!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #19
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
983
Rep
8,067
Posts

Drives: E84 X135
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
I've been tracking mine at all three main tracks in the bay area and have only limped once at Laguna.
I wonder if someone at BMW actually cares about this. The car shouldn't limp at at all in stock form, no matter how hard you hammer on it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 01:52 AM   #20
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
209
Rep
11,034
Posts

Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i'd go with the m3...
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #21
uberschnell
Brigadier General
uberschnell's Avatar
No_Country
463
Rep
3,959
Posts

Drives: Wide Body 1
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
I wonder if someone at BMW actually cares about this. The car shouldn't limp at at all in stock form, no matter how hard you hammer on it
Originally my car did not have the oil cooler. I complained and they installed one without having to be asked twice. I guess they feel like they did their part. As for me -> VK oil cooler upgrade.

I also think it has to do with how the car is driven on the track. I don't wind it out in the turns. There enough torque in the middle of the the band to provide plenty of throttle steer. You don't need to drive it like it's NA.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #22
longodj
Major
longodj's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,288
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to longodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
Originally my car did not have the oil cooler. I complained and they installed one without having to be asked twice. I guess they feel like they did their part. As for me -> VK oil cooler upgrade.

I also think it has to do with how the car is driven on the track. I don't wind it out in the turns. There enough torque in the middle of the the band to provide plenty of throttle steer. You don't need to drive it like it's NA.
haha...how you drive it on the track.....so a proper flogging isn't good for it then?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST