E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Aftermarket Motor Mounts Feedback



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Aftermarket Motor Mounts Feedback

Just out of curiosity, trying to see who is running aftermarket motor mounts and to get some feedback. Mine are done and looking for a good alternate that can withstand more abuse from road course and autocross but doesn't turn my car into a massage room. From what I've gathered, the '335is' mounts are the way to go.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
mmmnot
Custom User Title
mmmnot's Avatar
Iran
84
Rep
752
Posts

Drives: E92 328i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hotlanta

iTrader: (2)

Also curious here as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
Also curious here as well.
Take it no one using aftermarket motor mounts yet.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Kgolf31's Avatar
117
Rep
3,941
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (3)

I believe the market is thin.

I know AKG makes some. I have yet to acquire them
__________________

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
TheAxiom
Brigadier General
TheAxiom's Avatar
United_States
350
Rep
3,778
Posts

Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

I would just use 335is mounts - Poly mounts just don't seem to hold up.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Dinan intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
kong24680
Second Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: Space Grey 2008 e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (3)

Only the right motor mount is different between the is vs the i, the left is the same part number.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
Cloud9blue
Colonel
Cloud9blue's Avatar
United_States
122
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: around the potholes
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (13)

The only street worthy mounts that I would install is this, which should hold up pretty well given the enclosed PU cushion with the Al encasing:

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/enpe33.html

All the other aftermarket ones I have found are either solid mounts (Motive) or bolt through (AKG), which transmit a lot of NVH.
__________________
09 BMW E92 335i AT: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Grey Poplar
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
The only street worthy mounts that I would install is this, which should hold up pretty well given the enclosed PU cushion with the Al encasing:

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/enpe33.html

All the other aftermarket ones I have found are either solid mounts (Motive) or bolt through (AKG), which transmit a lot of NVH.
Thanks, their stage 1 mounts sounds good. Thinking of trying Motiv motor and trans mounts first tho. I have Delrin diff bushings and PowerFlex Black sfb and don't think the NVH is bad. Thinking my tolerance is higher than I think. From the reviews I've read, you only get vibration during idling to about 3k rpm. There's only one way to find out I can deal with it. I drive the car maybe 4 times a month so it shouldn't be too bad.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
Cloud9blue
Colonel
Cloud9blue's Avatar
United_States
122
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: around the potholes
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_3 View Post
Thanks, their stage 1 mounts sounds good. Thinking of trying Motiv motor and trans mounts first tho. I have Delrin diff bushings and PowerFlex Black sfb and don't think the NVH is bad. Thinking my tolerance is higher than I think. From the reviews I've read, you only get vibration during idling to about 3k rpm. There's only one way to find out I can deal with it. I drive the car maybe 4 times a month so it shouldn't be too bad.
Sure, our I6 engines are a lot smoother than most engines out there. So the NVH aspect might not be too bad. But it just doesn't sound like a great idea for an subframe/engine that wasn't really designed for it. And all that vibration from your road course abuse with no component to absorb them can't be good for the chassis.

I would rather use one of those blackforest ones when it comes to the time to replace the stock ones, just to be on the safe side.
__________________
09 BMW E92 335i AT: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Grey Poplar
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Sure, our I6 engines are a lot smoother than most engines out there. So the NVH aspect might not be too bad. But it just doesn't sound like a great idea for an subframe/engine that wasn't really designed for it. And all that vibration from your road course abuse with no component to absorb them can't be good for the chassis.

I would rather use one of those blackforest ones when it comes to the time to replace the stock ones, just to be on the safe side.
Was talking to a BMW master mechanic earlier today. He said pretty much the same thing. Going to try the blackforest stage one and ucc trans mount first. Thanks for the good find.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 03:26 AM   #11
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Well, hopefully this will help someone one day. The 2 of the 3 turbo kits I'm looking at comes with an upgraded engine mount, guess my problem is solved.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
Cloud9blue
Colonel
Cloud9blue's Avatar
United_States
122
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: around the potholes
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_3 View Post
Well, hopefully this will help someone one day. The 2 of the 3 turbo kits I'm looking at comes with an upgraded engine mount, guess my problem is solved.
Going single turbo?
__________________
09 BMW E92 335i AT: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Grey Poplar
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Going single turbo?
Want to keep a twin setup but hybrid options aren't looking too attractive for my application. Waiting to see some results on these Super RB Evolution. It's those or a single kit.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #14
Cloud9blue
Colonel
Cloud9blue's Avatar
United_States
122
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: around the potholes
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Going single turbo?
Want to keep a twin setup but hybrid options aren't looking too attractive for my application. Waiting to see some results on these Super RB Evolution. It's those or a single kit.
From what I can feel on the track, there isn't much time to be gained with extra 200hp on this chassis unless you are going to run full slick tires.

Then you might want to start thinking about replacing all the rubber/PU bushings with solid bearings and metal bushings at that power level. If you gonna push the car that hard, you should probably invest in roll cages and some additional safety equipment.

There is better way to spend your money in my opinion, at least for a road course build.
__________________
09 BMW E92 335i AT: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Grey Poplar
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
From what I can feel on the track, there isn't much time to be gained with extra 200hp on this chassis unless you are going to run full slick tires.

Then you might want to start thinking about replacing all the rubber/PU bushings with solid bearings and metal bushings at that power level. If you gonna push the car that hard, you should probably invest in roll cages and some additional safety equipment.

There is better way to spend your money in my opinion, at least for a road course build.
Already have PU and solid bushings plus getting a half cage soon. I'll definitely wouldn't be running anything aggressive on track, it'll be detuned. Want something reliable and efficient. It'll also be easy to tune for more power as my skills improve. I know a guy that went through a few sets of hybrids and warned me to stay away. They're good for street cars and trap decent, but they can't take the abruse on the track.

As always, I'm open minded. What is the better way in your opinion?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #16
Cloud9blue
Colonel
Cloud9blue's Avatar
United_States
122
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: around the potholes
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_3 View Post
Already have PU and solid bushings plus getting a half cage soon. I'll definitely wouldn't be running anything aggressive on track, it'll be detuned. Want something reliable and efficient. It'll also be easy to tune for more power as my skills improve. I know a guy that went through a few sets of hybrids and warned me to stay away. They're good for street cars and trap decent, but they can't take the abruse on the track.

As always, I'm open minded. What is the better way in your opinion?
Additional power is like the last thing this car need for a road course. And do you really think the chassis is going to be able handle the 3600lbs weight and close to 600 hp at the crank reliably? If your stock turbos are fine, I just do t see the rush to upgrade. Given that you are still running stock cooling systems, you are still far off from utilizing the current power output, let along the additional 200hp.

I honestly think you would be better off spending that money on additional seat times and wearable items like tires and pads instead. Try do some gather some telemetry data and see what you can really improve on.

And if you really want to spend some dough on the car(I totally get that mod bug feel, went through that phase as well), I would suggest switching to full M3 control arms and a set of high end 2 way dampers like motion control or JRZ.

On the other hand, if your turbo is going out, I would wait for the release of stage 2 from Pure, which is the only shop on our platform with any real quality control capability (just FYI, both RB and VTT has outsourced components and jobs to Pure that they just don't have the capability To carry out themselves).
__________________
09 BMW E92 335i AT: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Grey Poplar
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins

Last edited by Cloud9blue; 08-03-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #17
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Additional power is like the last thing this car need for a road course. And do you really think the chassis is going to be able handle the 3600lbs weight and close to 600 hp at the crank reliably? If your stock turbos are fine, I just do t see the rush to upgrade. Given that you are still running stock cooling systems, you are still far off from utilizing the current power output, let along the additional 200hp.

I honestly think you would be better off spending that money on additional seat times and wearable items like tires and pads instead. Try do some gather some telemetry data and see what you can really improve on.

And if you really want to spend some dough on the car(I totally get that mod bug feel, went through that phase as well), I would suggest switching to full M3 control arms and a set of high end 2 way dampers like motion control or JRZ.

On the other hand, if your turbo is going out, I would wait for the release of stage 2 from Pure, which is the only shop on our platform with any real quality control capability (just FYI, both RB and VTT has outsourced components and jobs to Pure that they just don't have the capability To carry out themselves).
Thought about it all. Stockers rattle, spitting oil, and leaking boost. Not on a search for more power, my main focus is on reliability and efficiency. I mentioned that it will be detuned. A ST running 15psi is completely different than a ST pushing 30psi. The cooling system will be upgraded at the same time as the turbo install so no biggie there.
The car is just over just over 3400lbs, but I know a fab shop that will be able to improve the chassis when it's needed.
Pure still utilizing stock housing iirc, which is what I'm trying to get away from. Rather upgrade once and not have to worry about when the turbo going to go. Super RBs and MMP are the only two that I know of trying to complete a real upgrade kit with td04 turbos.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #18
Cloud9blue
Colonel
Cloud9blue's Avatar
United_States
122
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: around the potholes
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Additional power is like the last thing this car need for a road course. And do you really think the chassis is going to be able handle the 3600lbs weight and close to 600 hp at the crank reliably? If your stock turbos are fine, I just do t see the rush to upgrade. Given that you are still running stock cooling systems, you are still far off from utilizing the current power output, let along the additional 200hp.

I honestly think you would be better off spending that money on additional seat times and wearable items like tires and pads instead. Try do some gather some telemetry data and see what you can really improve on.

And if you really want to spend some dough on the car(I totally get that mod bug feel, went through that phase as well), I would suggest switching to full M3 control arms and a set of high end 2 way dampers like motion control or JRZ.

On the other hand, if your turbo is going out, I would wait for the release of stage 2 from Pure, which is the only shop on our platform with any real quality control capability (just FYI, both RB and VTT has outsourced components and jobs to Pure that they just don't have the capability To carry out themselves).
Thought about it all. Stockers rattle, spitting oil, and leaking boost. Not on a search for more power, my main focus is on reliability and efficiency. I mentioned that it will be detuned. A ST running 15psi is completely different than a ST pushing 30psi. The cooling system will be upgraded at the same time as the turbo install so no biggie there.
The car is just over just over 3400lbs, but I know a fab shop that will be able to improve the chassis when it's needed.
Pure still utilizing stock housing iirc, which is what I'm trying to get away from. Rather upgrade once and not have to worry about when the turbo going to go. Super RBs and MMP are the only two that I know of trying to complete a real upgrade kit with td04 turbos.
Well, if the stock ones are already pissing oil and on its last leg, there is no point of waiting on any longer if your budget allows. If that's the case, I would go with the Motiv kit. Their cast manifold was the only one tested extensively on the road course.

What turbo are your thinking of using?
__________________
09 BMW E92 335i AT: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Grey Poplar
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Well, if the stock ones are already pissing oil and on its last leg, there is no point of waiting on any longer if your budget allows. If that's the case, I would go with the Motiv kit. Their cast manifold was the only one tested extensively on the road course.

What turbo are your thinking of using?
Motiv 750 kit or AD Engineering ST w/Precision 6262 BB T4 Turbo. Motive of course is my number 1 choice.

1 thing I can't wrap my hands around is how there's a few people running hybrids with no issue on the track with no issue and some destroy them. Especially when you see them crapping out on street cars. They would be the ideal upgrade since they are cheaper and easier to tune. Guess it's the roll of the dice. Thought about getting a set of RBs and run 18psi on the track. I get what you were saying earlier about stage 2 turbos, but if I have to replace the set, the total would rack over the price of a single kit.

SN: Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in. Haven't seen any failures of hybrids with inlet kits (yet). I know flow restrictions was factor of choking them out, but not sure if it was the only one? I remember reading somewhere about the housing being to small to flow efficient. Maybe robc1976 or turbomike could shed some light.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #20
Cloud9blue
Colonel
Cloud9blue's Avatar
United_States
122
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: around the potholes
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Well, if the stock ones are already pissing oil and on its last leg, there is no point of waiting on any longer if your budget allows. If that's the case, I would go with the Motiv kit. Their cast manifold was the only one tested extensively on the road course.

What turbo are your thinking of using?
Motiv 750 kit or AD Engineering ST w/Precision 6262 BB T4 Turbo. Motive of course is my number 1 choice.

1 thing I can't wrap my hands around is how there's a few people running hybrids with no issue on the track with no issue and some destroy them. Especially when you see them crapping out on street cars. They would be the ideal upgrade since they are cheaper and easier to tune. Guess it's the roll of the dice. Thought about getting a set of RBs and run 18psi on the track. I get what you were saying earlier about stage 2 turbos, but if I have to replace the set, the total would stack over the price of a single kit.

SN: Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in. Haven't seen any failures of hybrids with inlet kits (yet). I know flow restrictions was factor of choking them out, but not sure if it was the only one? I remember reading somewhere about the housing being to small to flow efficient. Maybe robc1976 or turbomike could shed some light.
Quality control.

RB only just recently got a proper set of high speed balancing machine for their shaft assembly. And who knows what monkey business goes up at VTT. And together with probably bad installs, you definitely see a lot more premature failures than you should have

The only one with the proper equipment to make near OEM quality turbos is Pure (as a matter of fact, Pure has be contracted to make of a lot of parts for both RB and VTT in the past, where they just don't the in house capability).
__________________
09 BMW E92 335i AT: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Grey Poplar
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #21
mmmnot
Custom User Title
mmmnot's Avatar
Iran
84
Rep
752
Posts

Drives: E92 328i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hotlanta

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_3 View Post
Just out of curiosity, trying to see who is running aftermarket motor mounts and to get some feedback. Mine are done and looking for a good alternate that can withstand more abuse from road course and autocross but doesn't turn my car into a massage room. From what I've gathered, the '335is' mounts are the way to go.
I actually ventured into solid motor mounts. I have a brief review here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=46
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #22
EJ_3
Colonel
EJ_3's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
2,707
Posts

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: N Las Vegas

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.17]
1994 BMW 525i  [5.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
I actually ventured into solid motor mounts. I have a brief review here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=46
Good read, thanks for sharing. I'm going to give the BFI mounts a shot before going full solid, unless I get Motiv kit which come with a solid mount.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST