E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i limp mode party at the track



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #331
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
19

 
UltraRacer13's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335xi e92 MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 911
iTrader: (1)

I had my Vanos replaced under warranty after my first track day. Hasn't failed again since....knocking on wood. I figure about about $500 per track day. Thanks though for the DIY.

The STETT OC is still for sale- call them.
__________________

XI | COBB | AST | Vorshlag | PFC | STETT | StopTech | Apex | DCI
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #332
firechicken99
Major
11

 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States


Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

so yeah... I am really curious about people success with the aftermarket oil coolers
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #333
Stangorang
Major
United_States
19

 
Stangorang's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (9)

Has anyone done a direct comparison with and without water/meth injection? Very little talk about that in this thread.

Do the cooling properties not extend well to oil and coolant temps?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #334
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
I had some Porsche friends who I drive with tell me, with a look of disbelief on there face after I would tell them why I all of a sudden slowed down on the track, that BMW should have their pants sued off of them for some of the under-engineering and PR tactics around all of the issues.
well, at the end of the day, its just not an M car, so I doubt you'd get anywhere with that. Its still a shame, for such a nice car. Hard to find another good car like it out there, or I would have jumped ship. The only other two I like is the pontiac G8, or IS350, but both just can't turn.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #335
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Has anyone done a direct comparison with and without water/meth injection? Very little talk about that in this thread.

Do the cooling properties not extend well to oil and coolant temps?
You shouldn't be racing with that mercon SP (OEM trans fluid) stuff though. The kinematic viscosity of that thing is like 5.something @ 100C! Its meant for great gas mileage, not racing. Your going to be at 98-106C all race long, and I don't like my trans fluid that thin, at that temp. Just FYI
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #336
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
40

 
zsapphire7's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SF Bay Area


Posts: 2,302
iTrader: (21)

i duno about you guys but i have no more issues with heat on the track and can even run higher boost levels. What I watch out for now are overheating tires/brakes. So the heat problem is solveable at least for 6MT. I do say tho, if i had to do it again, its much easier to take an M3 to the track, but I do make more power out there now than an M ...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #337
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
i duno about you guys but i have no more issues with heat on the track and can even run higher boost levels. What I watch out for now are overheating tires/brakes. So the heat problem is solveable at least for 6MT. I do say tho, if i had to do it again, its much easier to take an M3 to the track, but I do make more power out there now than an M ...
One of two things:

1. Your not running hard enough
2. Ambient temps aren't over 75F with no significant humidity.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #338
Stangorang
Major
United_States
19

 
Stangorang's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
You shouldn't be racing with that mercon SP (OEM trans fluid) stuff though. The kinematic viscosity of that thing is like 5.something @ 100C! Its meant for great gas mileage, not racing. Your going to be at 98-106C all race long, and I don't like my trans fluid that thin, at that temp. Just FYI
Is lifeguard any different?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #339
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Is lifeguard any different?
Lifeguard6 is Mercon SP, just rebottled. So you saved yourself a boat load of ca$h. For the track something like Pentosin ATF 1, like I use is much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #340
Stangorang
Major
United_States
19

 
Stangorang's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Lifeguard6 is Mercon SP, just rebottled. So you saved yourself a boat load of ca$h. For the track something like Pentosin ATF 1, like I use is much better.
Good to know. It will probably have to wait till next trackday.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #341
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
40

 
zsapphire7's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SF Bay Area


Posts: 2,302
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
One of two things:

1. Your not running hard enough
2. Ambient temps aren't over 75F with no significant humidity.
i run hard enough to limp stock in 2 laps and last time i was in 90F weather.

It is possible to make the N54 solid for track duty. Heck its even possible to make it race ready (running several hrs straight) with only a few cooling upgrades. Dont go trading in your cars for m3s quite yet..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #342
Stangorang
Major
United_States
19

 
Stangorang's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (9)

For those of you with the Stett oil cooler, is the CNC plate completely flat on the back or does it have channels like the stock thermostat housing?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #343
SloppyJoe
Private
3

 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego


Posts: 76
iTrader: (1)

i remember it's just flat with two holes for the oil feed and return lines.
__________________

2007 Montego Blue E92 335i
Procede V5, Injen DCI, VK Catless Downpipe, Helix Intercooler, STETT oil cooler, Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #344
cb4
Captain
United_States
15

 
cb4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massachusetts


Posts: 868
iTrader: (1)

Beginner here so patience please. I've been to a couple track events (PCA DE at the glenn and tremblent in different cars (996 c2 and e36 m3 respectively).

I signed up for a Boston bmwcca driving event at NHMS on June 30. I miss the track so i figured what the hell.

I have a 335xi with no oil cooler. It's a non sports package xi. I'm a bit concerned about how much time I'll be able to run. I'd still classify myself as a beginner but tend to be a fast learner on the track.

Should I get an after market oil cooler installed before the event or should I just feel it out this time? If I have an oil cooler installed will this affect my warranty?

Thanks for any advice! Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #345
mid-corner fun
Major
United_States
15

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE


Posts: 1,412
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
Beginner here so patience please. I've been to a couple track events (PCA DE at the glenn and tremblent in different cars (996 c2 and e36 m3 respectively).

I signed up for a Boston bmwcca driving event at NHMS on June 30. I miss the track so i figured what the hell.

I have a 335xi with no oil cooler. It's a non sports package xi. I'm a bit concerned about how much time I'll be able to run. I'd still classify myself as a beginner but tend to be a fast learner on the track.

Should I get an after market oil cooler installed before the event or should I just feel it out this time? If I have an oil cooler installed will this affect my warranty?

Thanks for any advice! Cheers.
Feel it out, an oil cooler is a major investment and it will void part(s) of your warranty.

Log your water and oil temps so you know how close, or not, you are to the thresholds so you can adjust accordingly next time. Even if you're a fast learner, traffic will probably hold you back in the first few DEs. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #346
Stangorang
Major
United_States
19

 
Stangorang's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (9)

What plastic engine parts are you guys taking off before track days?

1) Plastic engine cover?
2) Cabin microfilter?

There was one report of a guy who took the plastic engine cover off for the track and then somehow proceeded to dump windshield wiper fluid all over the place. If I remember correctly he either started a small fire or shorted our a bunch of crap.

Last edited by Stangorang; 06-05-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #347
Chowbow
pew pew
80

 
Drives: 三三五i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA


Posts: 6,729
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Great thread. I'll take some notes and add some info here as I can. I'm signed up for Thunderhill on 7/9. I'm a notice, with a 6MT, no tune, stock oil cooler. At most I will change out the OEM coolant mix to try and keep the water temps down. In July it will likely be a hot day though so we'll see how it goes.
__________________
CSL replicas are now CSL counterfeits. Jesus saves, like Valentine1.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #348
jbass524
Captain
17

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal


Posts: 983
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Great thread. I'll take some notes and add some info here as I can. I'm signed up for Thunderhill on 7/9. I'm a notice, with a 6MT, no tune, stock oil cooler. At most I will change out the OEM coolant mix to try and keep the water temps down. In July it will likely be a hot day though so we'll see how it goes.

This will be a great test. The 6 MT w/stock power is less prone to overheating, or at least takes longer to. I hope you do 100% Distilled Water with Mocool. It worked well for me and I have an AT w/stock power but with the dual ER oil coolers.

Make sure to practice getting the coolant temps to show up on the dash. It can take a few tries.

I also suggest driving out the highway for about 15 minutes fter each session to help with heat soak.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #349
firechicken99
Major
11

 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States


Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
This will be a great test. The 6 MT w/stock power is less prone to overheating, or at least takes longer to. I hope you do 100% Distilled Water with Mocool. It worked well for me and I have an AT w/stock power but with the dual ER oil coolers.

Make sure to practice getting the coolant temps to show up on the dash. It can take a few tries.

I also suggest driving out the highway for about 15 minutes fter each session to help with heat soak.
How do you get the coolant temps to show up on the dash? (or are you just talking about high heat limp mode warnings?)


I unfortunately do not have a stock oil cooler so i will have to look into my options
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #350
Chowbow
pew pew
80

 
Drives: 三三五i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA


Posts: 6,729
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
This will be a great test. The 6 MT w/stock power is less prone to overheating, or at least takes longer to. I hope you do 100% Distilled Water with Mocool. It worked well for me and I have an AT w/stock power but with the dual ER oil coolers.

Make sure to practice getting the coolant temps to show up on the dash. It can take a few tries.

I also suggest driving out the highway for about 15 minutes fter each session to help with heat soak.
I probably won't do 100% distilled water. My friend had that setup on his drag car and we all completely forgot about it, and parked it outside in TX during the spring at the drag strip. It surprisingly got cold enough at night and split the darn thing. Luckily they were able to get the motor out of the car, into a rental SUV, and over to a shop and they welded that sucker back together in the back of that rental SUV.

In any case, I'll probably go the easy way out and just yank the coolant pipe so I don't have to pull the intercooler, and let whatever coolant drain out of there drain out, and then just fill it with distilled water. My last coolant flush was a year ago so I don't feel the need to flush it yet.

Regardless, as a novice I might not be pushing it so hard as to get the car to limp mode, but we'll see what happens.
__________________
CSL replicas are now CSL counterfeits. Jesus saves, like Valentine1.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #351
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
33

 
dbjb's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NorCal


Posts: 2,011
iTrader: (22)

Chowbow,

I looked into July 2 and its a Virtuoso event. Are you tracking with them?
You talking about Thunderhill in CA or Thunderhill Raceway in TX?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #352
Chowbow
pew pew
80

 
Drives: 三三五i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA


Posts: 6,729
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I'm talking about Thunderhill in CA. NCRC is running on 7/9.

Just a thought... would removing the passenger foglight allow more air to reach the oil cooler? I doubt it'd be anything drastic, but might be worth a few degrees...
__________________
CSL replicas are now CSL counterfeits. Jesus saves, like Valentine1.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST