E90Post
 


Alpine HID
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i limp mode party at the track



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #749
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
You definitely have to hit the sweet spot with cooling mods and your fuel system and turbos not failing. When you do it's great but arggghhhh!!

I just had to use the 335 last weekend at Infineon cause the M3 broke. It wasn't my preference (how's that all you AT haters?) but I though why not. It was great and was running 1:57s on NT05s. Very happy with that but in the 4th session it just gave up and not due to temps.

Once you're to the point where the 335 is limiting your driving time and you have the right cooling mods it's a sure sign you need to move into another, more track worthy car. That is the truth!
AT's rock at the track! Just make sure that you change your trans fluid regularly, and try and use something thicker than OEM!

I have definitely hit the limit with my cooling mods. I have two oil coolers, and although they work together great, I still hit 280 degrees in October on a 45 F degree day, at Road America! It takes much longer for me to get there, but as long as you drive hard, and redline each gear, you're gonna over heat this thing.
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #750
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Autobahn335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Luxembourg

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
AT's rock at the track! Just make sure that you change your trans fluid regularly, and try and use something thicker than OEM!

I have definitely hit the limit with my cooling mods. I have two oil coolers, and although they work together great, I still hit 280 degrees in October on a 45 F degree day, at Road America! It takes much longer for me to get there, but as long as you drive hard, and redline each gear, you're gonna over heat this thing.
Just replace the OEM oilcooler with the ER sports oilcooler. It makes a huge difference! The stock core is really crappy compared to the upgrade.
__________________
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Bilstein PSS10 / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / RE Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU Flash / COBB Pro-Tune
Autobahn335i is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #751
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Just replace the OEM oilcooler with the ER sports oilcooler. It makes a huge difference! The stock core is really crappy compared to the upgrade.
It's probably still going to over heat since I have the OEM thermostat. The thermostat is the key. I have seen what increasing the core surface area does, as I retrofitted the AR oil cooler first, and then added the OEM. all the ER one will do is by some more time. As long as you are driving as hard as I am, you will over heat this thing, its just a matter of time. I'm ok, now, but by the end of a 30 minute session, I am already at 280F, especially if I'm paddle shifting, then it happens much sooner.

I would love to get a GTR, so my skill can continue to improve, but used car prices are rediculous right now. 70K for an '09? With that weak tranny? Corvettes are similarly over priced too.
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #752
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
You definitely have to hit the sweet spot with cooling mods and your fuel system and turbos not failing. When you do it's great but arggghhhh!!

I just had to use the 335 last weekend at Infineon cause the M3 broke. It wasn't my preference (how's that all you AT haters?) but I though why not. It was great and was running 1:57s on NT05s. Very happy with that but in the 4th session it just gave up and not due to temps.

Once you're to the point where the 335 is limiting your driving time and you have the right cooling mods it's a sure sign you need to move into another, more track worthy car. That is the truth!
I'll make this part of the FAQ in the first post. Where else can one find the truth (last paragraph) along with a comment of using the 335 because the M3 broke down
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #753
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
It's probably still going to over heat since I have the OEM thermostat. The thermostat is the key. I have seen what increasing the core surface area does, as I retrofitted the AR oil cooler first, and then added the OEM. all the ER one will do is by some more time. As long as you are driving as hard as I am, you will over heat this thing, its just a matter of time. I'm ok, now, but by the end of a 30 minute session, I am already at 280F, especially if I'm paddle shifting, then it happens much sooner.

I would love to get a GTR, so my skill can continue to improve, but used car prices are rediculous right now. 70K for an '09? With that weak tranny? Corvettes are similarly over priced too.
I know you've invested a lot in OCs already but STETT's thermostat, while annoying as hell on the street, seems to work well at the track. For someone that was hitting 300F in 2010, I didn't see anything higher than 250-260 in 2011. I don't worry about oil anymore, just a myriad of other 335-related things.

I'm looking for a used track ride for next season as well, although my biggest challenge right now is arranging for storing/transporting a track-only car, we'll see.
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #754
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Autobahn335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Luxembourg

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
It's probably still going to over heat since I have the OEM thermostat. The thermostat is the key. I have seen what increasing the core surface area does, as I retrofitted the AR oil cooler first, and then added the OEM. all the ER one will do is by some more time. As long as you are driving as hard as I am, you will over heat this thing, its just a matter of time. I'm ok, now, but by the end of a 30 minute session, I am already at 280F, especially if I'm paddle shifting, then it happens much sooner.

I would love to get a GTR, so my skill can continue to improve, but used car prices are rediculous right now. 70K for an '09? With that weak tranny? Corvettes are similarly over priced too.
With the ER OC oil temps are consistently below 130C on my car, even when tracking in hot summer temps. Much better then with stock + AR OC.

In my case water temps have become the culprit. So I will now add the Performance Power Kit radiator to "buy some time" on the track. I'll see how much this helps next spring/summer.

Yes, overheating the tranny seems to be a common problem on the GTR. And having no warranty when tracking a GTR may get real expensive...
__________________
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Bilstein PSS10 / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / RE Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU Flash / COBB Pro-Tune
Autobahn335i is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #755
jbass524
Captain
 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

Posts: 978
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
I'll make this part of the FAQ in the first post. Where else can one find the truth (last paragraph) along with a comment of using the 335 because the M3 broke down
That could be the anecdote to all of this.

"You definitely have to hit the sweet spot with the correct cooling mods while your fuel system and turbos aren't failing. When you do it's great but when you don't, arggghhhh!!

Once you're to the point where the 335 is limiting your driving time and you have the right cooling mods it's a sure sign you need to move into another, more track worthy car. That is the truth!"


That last comment was just funny but not typical. We love our 335s but they bug us too.
jbass524 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #756
jbass524
Captain
 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

Posts: 978
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
With the ER OC oil temps are consistently below 130C on my car, even when tracking in hot summer temps. Much better then with stock + AR OC.

In my case water temps have become the culprit. So I will now add the Performance Power Kit radiator to "buy some time" on the track. I'll see how much this helps next spring/summer.

Yes, overheating the tranny seems to be a common problem on the GTR. And having no warranty when tracking a GTR may get real expensive...
Try distilled water and Mocool first.
jbass524 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #757
zazzn
New Member
 
Drives: None yet
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Hey guys,

I've pretty much given up on a 135/335 simply because of this thread... I don't lap 100% of the time but i'm no stranger. I was thinking of an IS-F and I know that this is way off topic for this thread but since we already had a dialog just was wondering your guys thoughts...
zazzn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #758
jbass524
Captain
 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

Posts: 978
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzn View Post
Hey guys,

I've pretty much given up on a 135/335 simply because of this thread... I don't lap 100% of the time but i'm no stranger. I was thinking of an IS-F and I know that this is way off topic for this thread but since we already had a dialog just was wondering your guys thoughts...
You should post a new thread in the track section.

All cars have weaknesses and when you start pushing them consitantly hard they show up and you fix them. E9# M3s overheat too, 370 Zs require a differential cooler, and so on.
jbass524 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #759
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Autobahn335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Luxembourg

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Try distilled water and Mocool first.
I would, but as we have rather cold winters here I'd have to change the fluids twice a year, which is not very practical.
__________________
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Bilstein PSS10 / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / RE Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU Flash / COBB Pro-Tune
Autobahn335i is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #760
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
I would, but as we have rather cold winters here I'd have to change the fluids twice a year, which is not very practical.
At most it should be a $200-250 total investment at your local indy, for much better track days. 1 man-hour in the spring and 1 in late autumn to get the fluids changed.
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #761
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzn View Post
Hey guys,

I've pretty much given up on a 135/335 simply because of this thread... I don't lap 100% of the time but i'm no stranger. I was thinking of an IS-F and I know that this is way off topic for this thread but since we already had a dialog just was wondering your guys thoughts...
That car over heats as well, and shuts down completely on the track. It doesn't even have an oem oil cooler! The engine and trans oil, are both hooked up to the radiator!!

Also, unless its the 2011, it's actually slower than a stock 335I at the track. I've destroyed several of them, so I know. There is also NO aftermarket support for the platform, so no mods, like our car. Not even an aftermarket oil cooler!
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #762
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
You should post a new thread in the track section.

All cars have weaknesses and when you start pushing them consitantly hard they show up and you fix them. E9# M3s overheat too, 370 Zs require a differential cooler, and so on.
The 370Z/G37 need an oil cooler also, and if you install one, it "voids your warranty"
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #763
Turkeybaster115
Banned
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
I would, but as we have rather cold winters here I'd have to change the fluids twice a year, which is not very practical.
I have colder winters than you do here in Chicago. Do what I did: summer time I went with 2 liters of total auto supra coolant + 2 bottles of water wetter. Then a few weeks ago, I drained 2 liters of that solution, and just topped it off with 2 more liters of coolant.

Water temps are just fine for me, and ever since I went with diluted coolant + water wetter, have never been a problem. In October, while at the track in 40F weather, I hit 280F oil temps trying to chase down an E90 M3. At the same time, my water temp was at 88C!!! Go figure
Turkeybaster115 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #764
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
 
UltraRacer13's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335xi e92 MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 911
iTrader: (1)

One advantage of tracking this car- particularly when under warranty...free pads/ rotors replacement! Took her in last week adter a good track day a couple weeks ago, said I needed new rear rotors/pads....OK!
UltraRacer13 is offline   British Virgin Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #765
orionredwing
Captain
 
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Jose

Posts: 723
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Haven't checked e90post for awhile, but thought I'd pop back in to share some info and see if you guys had similar probs. My car is currently in the shop, undrivable due to engine overtemp issues, and leaking transmission fluid. I already had many of the parts in stock, in preparation for a maintenance visit to get back on track after the New Year, but things took an unfortunate turn:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625925
__________________

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
orionredwing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #766
kenneth
Major General
 
kenneth's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

Posts: 8,587
iTrader: (13)

Orion, I hope your problems get resolved soon and without too much additional $$$.



With respect to upgraded radiator, PWR seems available for the 335. Did anybody who track his car install a PWR radiator and have data to share?
__________________
SB, Terra, 6MT. Only a few mods here and there.....nothing extreme!
kenneth is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #767
Longboarder
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,455
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [4.93]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.75]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Hi all. I'm just starting to track my car and so I read this thread (wow it's long) to educate myself on the limitations of our cooling system.

I attended my first track event recently and ran the car very hard (at least as hard as I could based on my limited abilities) on a fast track (Big Willow). My oil temps never exceeded 250. My car is a low mileage 2010 e92 335 and is basically stock, even down to the fluids, brakes, pads. Only mods are wheels/tires/coils and a Procede set at 16.5 psi with methanol injection. I hear that meth helps keeps temps down dramatically and may be the reason I didn't limp. Or I could have just been lucky???

I am planning on attending a few events in 2012 including some needed driving school events and I want to make sure I'm addressing any cooling concerns, since it seems to be such a pervasive issue. Curious whether meth is enough...has anyone who uses meth ever seen high temps/limp?

Thanks.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / GIAC Stage 2 (9 second file) / Ohlins coils / R888's
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #768
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Hi all. I'm just starting to track my car and so I read this thread (wow it's long) to educate myself on the limitations of our cooling system.

I attended my first track event recently and ran the car very hard (at least as hard as I could based on my limited abilities) on a fast track (Big Willow). My oil temps never exceeded 250. My car is a low mileage 2010 e92 335 and is basically stock, even down to the fluids, brakes, pads. Only mods are wheels/tires/coils and a Procede set at 16.5 psi with methanol injection. I hear that meth helps keeps temps down dramatically and may be the reason I didn't limp. Or I could have just been lucky???

I am planning on attending a few events in 2012 including some needed driving school events and I want to make sure I'm addressing any cooling concerns, since it seems to be such a pervasive issue. Curious whether meth is enough...has anyone who uses meth ever seen high temps/limp?

Thanks.
welcome. Meth should help a lot, looking forward to your data points in 2012, we haven't had anybody else log temps with meth yet.

As a rule of thumb, if you're ok on stock pads at the track you're not (yet) pushing the car hard. When you get to the "oh shit" brake fade point after being on the track for only a couple of laps you'll be ready. Trust me, you'll know when this happens
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #769
Longboarder
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,455
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [4.93]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.75]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
welcome. Meth should help a lot, looking forward to your data points in 2012, we haven't had anybody else log temps with meth yet.

As a rule of thumb, if you're ok on stock pads at the track you're not (yet) pushing the car hard. When you get to the "oh shit" brake fade point after being on the track for only a couple of laps you'll be ready. Trust me, you'll know when this happens
Thanks...yeah I got that "oh sh*t" moment a couple of times. My brakes were fading and shuddering badly after just a few laps.

So I will definitely be upgrading the pads. I will start there and then see if that works for a while. I will keep the stock cooling system in tact and just monitor closely. It would be terrific if meth solved all cooling issues! I will report back.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / GIAC Stage 2 (9 second file) / Ohlins coils / R888's
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #770
BrianMN
Colonel
 
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 2,429
iTrader: (7)

Regarding the Oil Temps on these cars: I have had an oil analysis done after each *hot* track event...and the results always show zero degredation of additives or viscosity due to heat...in fact there was no sign of heat in the oil analysis'.

The most notable was a total of (12)-20 minute sessions at Road America in a weekend; at least 8 of the sessions oil temps went up to 285-290* for at least 15 of the minutes, and the other sessions oil was at the 275-280* the entire runs.

So whilst the high heat is very undesirable; the oil is not affected the Mobil 1 0-40 in the slightest way.
BrianMN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST